Hypos at work

daniel_johno

I have worked in my current job for 15 months as a technician in the oil industry and on the whole my diabetes has been ok and has not distrupted my work. Over the past month I have had 3 quite bad hypo's. I have not been Unconcious but I have been confused, not knowing what is going on and requiring assistance with BM's in the 1.4 - 1.7 range. The problem is recently all over time has been cut causing me to not make enough money to pay all my bills and also feed myself so my eating habits have been disrupted quite badly.

I have just been informed I have a meeting tomorrow morning with HR and management but havent been told what it is about but i presume it can only be to deal with my 'problem diabetes'.

Do I have any legal help or Laws that stop me being penilised for my hypos or do I have no help against a possible disaplinary?

Thanks in advance for taking a look

Daniel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Oops...Daniel.

As I understand it from previous posters and questions asked here, the Oil industry is rightly very tough on medical standards. Presumably your control was good enough previously to get the job, therefore I think you need to focus on what is causing the hypo's ? The problem !

As for help, are you in a Union ? There is also the Disability Discrimination Act, but they really are only obliged to make 'reasonable' adjustments to accomodate your Disability in the workplace. You want to find out exactly what is going to be discussed, take a 'friend' in with you and make copious notes. Do not agree to anything before taking advice, maybe from the CAB, (Citizen's Advice Bureau).

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Daniel

The fact that you have diabetes means that you cannot be 'penilised' by your employer. I am almost sure that you are covered by The Disability Discrimination Act 1995, which prevents employers from discriminating against employee's because of their illness/disability. Where possible, they must make adjustments to hours/working conditions to allow the employee to continue their work.

I would seek advice from Citizens Advice or your Trade Union. In the meantime, maybe worth while looking at the cause of your hypo's, to much insulin perhaps or not enough carbs, either way I would try to resolve this problem. Try telling your HR department that you are actively seeking advice on addressing your hypo situation, and keep them informed of any developments.

Best wishes

Nigel

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Daniel

I see Cugila has the fastest finger yet again!

Good advice taking a friend into the meeting, far better having a witness to anything that may be said by your HR manager.

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Daniel
Try Diabetes UK
their dietary advice isn't up to much, but legal matters they know about. Look up the phone number and call
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Daniel.

Just a thought. Are you an Offshore or Onshore worker ?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I would say a lot depends on what job you undertake for your employer, if your hypos could put you or your colleagues at risk of injury then I dont think your employer would be obliged to let you carry on until you can positively prove that you are no longer a risk to yourself or others.

I dont believe disability discrimination comes into it where health and safety issues are concerned.

daniel_johno

Thanks for the replies everyone.

My hypos's i believe are being caused by missing meals due to the sudden loss in pay since all overtime and bonuses have been banned. I used to use my overtime pay to live off.
I have cut down as many costs as i can but still find myself coming up short when needing to buy food or I am buying cheaper junk food. Over the past few months ive been selling possessions and things i own in order to get by. I think my only option left is to get a part time job also.
These circumstances are also causing alot of stress and worry which may also be contributing to my hypos.

I work onshore and work in a workshop building oil tools.

Would a sudden temperature drop also cause hypo's? I.e. the sudden cold weather. WOuld it cause my body to use more energy to keep warm?

Thanks for all the advice. Ill update you on how I get on tomorrow morning.

Daniel