Type 1 Hypos hours after meals (even with correct carb to insulin ratio) followed by hypers

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For a while now, I've noticed that after eating and injecting, two to three hours after, I go hypo. So I have a little bit of sugar and shoot back up way more than the correction alone would have taken me, suggesting maybe that I am having the correct dose, but the timing of the insulin release was wrong, so I started taking insulin after my meals instead of before. This worked in most cases and I did not have hypos hours after a meal. However, after getting my Freestyle Libre trial the other day, I noticed by doing this, my sugars would reach dangerous highs before coming down. So I have gone back to taking conservative doses before meals, and the hypos have returned. Looking at the Libre, the levels start to rise, level off, then plummet down and I am forced to correct. Is this perhaps an indication that my basal is too high, because I've also noticed that I drop a considerable amount during the night as well. Or might it be something to do with the rate of my digestion and the stages in which NovoRapid releases the inulin does not work for me?

It might be worth pointing out that I am currently in my honeymoon period, only diagnosed with type 1 less than three months ago. Also, my Libre overreads by about 2mmol/L, and I still dose using my meter, wouldn't dare dosing according to the innacurate Libre!

8e2370cf7cec95aac6c093e55482f7fd.jpg

ddd4e4c7152077a8dfdadfedc65659a2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi @SamElliott1997
i don't want to tell you that you have answered your own question................

in the first few months following diagnosis -- it can all be a bit of a jumble -- the important thing is to think long term and just live each day as it comes -- do your best -- try to get into a routine - the BG's won't always behave - but routine helps them to ............

actual dose recommending is beyond us -- do have a chat with your DSN about your doses .........
looking at your libre graphs -- your BG's aren't terrible -- trust me they will settle down over time

and also ........ do stick with us on here -- a great support community.

Reactions: SamElliott1997

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Alright, thank you. And yeah, I've contacted my DSN but I don't think she's in this week, guess I'll just have to wait.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
no worries -- i thought your libre graphs looked similar to some of my days ....... and i been doing this for 45 years !:eek:

I take every day as though I want it to be my best day ever -- but I never beat myself up over it when it don't happen..

( hope that makes sense )

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
sorry ........just to add -- getting basal right is crucial -- but given your time of diagnosis -- it may be a bit too early to look at adjusting basal doses without the help of your DSN.

golfinmum

My son was diagnosed 3 months ago too and we are having a similar time of it. Really frustrating getting high figures too when you are trying to do everything correctly. We have his first diabetes clinic this week so will hopefully get some answers there. Hypos to hypers constantly. Just keep going one reading at a time

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son was diagnosed 3 months ago too and we are having a similar time of it. Really frustrating getting high figures too when you are trying to do everything correctly. We have his first diabetes clinic this week so will hopefully get some answers there. Hypos to hypers constantly. Just keep going one reading at a time

He's only just going to his first clinic? I've been to my clinic multiple times, and they're always happy to reply to emails or see me in person. You reckon this might just be a postcode lottery? I'm currently at university in Liverpool, and I've heard we have great diabetes support here.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi there @golfinmum

welcome to the forum !! :)

would you like me to set you up with your own topic ....possibly in the parents section ?
I feel you would get a more appropriate resonse to your very first post
the choice is yours !!

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had another hypo after a meal. Is this perhaps reactive hypoglycaemia? I mean, I am in my honeymoon phase so I can still produce insulin from time to time, and I do have a high carb diet as I am underweight and need to gain.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just had another hypo after a meal. Is this perhaps reactive hypoglycaemia? I mean, I am in my honeymoon phase so I can still produce insulin from time to time, and I do have a high carb diet as I am underweight and need to gain.
hey there @SamElliott1997
my honest opinion ? for now just keep things slow -- live in the moment -- i know it is tough when you feel like cr*p and just want things to be normal

I have been doing this D thing for 45 years -- and I still get the odd surprise --- learning to live with D -- that is the crucial thing we all need to do --

RH ( reactive hypoglycaemia ) will manifest quite differently to D over the medium term
all I can say is to be vigilant , keep testing , keep speaking with your Diabetic nurse , and keep posting .

all the best !
himtoo

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess... It's just quite annoying when I use a carb to insulin ratio that has worked perfectly for the whole day, and then the same ratio throws me down, I treat with a little sugar and no carbs to keep me up because I know I don't need anything to keep me up, and surprise surprise, it shoots up again.

990234ca9bbcbacff40fdf551d240de1.jpg

I've tried contacting my nurse but either she's on holiday or she's not in until later this week? This never happened if I dosed after food, but that made me have dangerous highs before it was brought down to normal again.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
looking at your libre graph is interesting
but to make total sense of it
what is your long acting insulin and what time do you take it ?
what time did you eat evening meal ?
did you bolus your fast acting before / with / or after eating ?

is any exercise involved ?
did you do a correction dose between 6pm and 7:30pm ?

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take lantus at around 11pm at the moment.

Evening meal was at 6:15pm.

I bolused before eating.

No exercise, just sitting on Xbox.

Yeah, I took a correction dose of only one unit with my meal.

I appreciate your support by the way, thanks :)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
How accurate is your libre? Mine used to be wonderful but in the last 6 months it's started to under read drastically (by 2 to 4 mmol/l) at the low end and over read at the high end. Have you got some blood sugar readings to back up those graphs?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I take lantus at around 11pm at the moment.

Evening meal was at 6:15pm. how many carbs and how much units was the bolus dose , and what foods did you eat

I bolused before eating. how long before eating

No exercise, just sitting on Xbox. ok -- thanks for that info

Yeah, I took a correction dose of only one unit with my meal. ok

I appreciate your support by the way, thanks :)

i popped further queries inside your reply ( in red ) in regards to viewing that libre graph

but my critical question is did you do a BG test as well before eating ??

as @EllieM mentions accuracy
I always do a BG test before eating -- not that I don't trust the libre- I have had some libre's that were amazingly accurate.

The reason I BG test is I wasnt to nail down the accurate knowledge of a BG number so my confidence that I am giving the correct dose is locked in my brain ( if that makes sense )

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sam, On a positive note, Monday was a fairly good day! :playful:

Why listen to himtoo? he's admitted he's 45 years in and still makes mistakes:eek::hilarious::p ;)

Would be good to have a days graph from the Libre software, it can give a bit more detail than the on screen version. and as it looks like you enter your carbs and injections so they will also be displayed better. (you can download the libre software from the freestylelibre website)

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i popped further queries inside your reply ( in red ) in regards to viewing that libre graph

but my critical question is did you do a BG test as well before eating ??

as @EllieM mentions accuracy
I always do a BG test before eating -- not that I don't trust the libre- I have had some libre's that were amazingly accurate.

The reason I BG test is I wasnt to nail down the accurate knowledge of a BG number so my confidence that I am giving the correct dose is locked in my brain ( if that makes sense )

141g of carbs, 10u for food, 1u for correction and I ate peas, chips and chicken nuggets.

It was only about 5 mins before.

Of course I do a BG test before eating. Currently my Libre overreads by about 2mmol/L, so I still finger prick at least 4 times a day. Even if the Libre was accurate, with how sensitive my sugars are, I don't think I'd use the Libre to bolus any time soon.

SamElliott1997

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sam, On a positive note, Monday was a fairly good day! :playful:

Why listen to himtoo? he's admitted he's 45 years in and still makes mistakes:eek::hilarious::p ;)

Would be good to have a days graph from the Libre software, it can give a bit more detail than the on screen version. and as it looks like you enter your carbs and injections so they will also be displayed better. (you can download the libre software from the freestylelibre website)

Way ahead of you on that, but thanks for the advice the reports aren't too useful at the moment as I have an iffy sensor, so not paying attention to the absolute values, just the trends.

Bud1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For a while now, I've noticed that after eating and injecting, two to three hours after, I go hypo. So I have a little bit of sugar and shoot back up way more than the correction alone would have taken me, suggesting maybe that I am having the correct dose, but the timing of the insulin release was wrong, so I started taking insulin after my meals instead of before. This worked in most cases and I did not have hypos hours after a meal. However, after getting my Freestyle Libre trial the other day, I noticed by doing this, my sugars would reach dangerous highs before coming down. So I have gone back to taking conservative doses before meals, and the hypos have returned. Looking at the Libre, the levels start to rise, level off, then plummet down and I am forced to correct. Is this perhaps an indication that my basal is too high, because I've also noticed that I drop a considerable amount during the night as well. Or might it be something to do with the rate of my digestion and the stages in which NovoRapid releases the inulin does not work for me?

It might be worth pointing out that I am currently in my honeymoon period, only diagnosed with type 1 less than three months ago. Also, my Libre overreads by about 2mmol/L, and I still dose using my meter, wouldn't dare dosing according to the innacurate Libre!

8e2370cf7cec95aac6c093e55482f7fd.jpg

ddd4e4c7152077a8dfdadfedc65659a2.jpg

Hi it maybe related to what your eating, if it’s high in fat like for instance India food or pizza this can slow down food adsorption, or small and often, food and insulin, small adjustments, but it’s early for yourself. Try not too worry or stress to much, it will become clearer, honest.