I am a Heartbroken New

Shad Ahammed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I am Shad from Germany. I was just diagnosed a couple of days before with type 1. I am 31 years and have a kid. When I was told of that I could not understand why me? I am studying in Germany and living alone in a student 1 room apartment. Sometimes I feel if something happens to me, there will not be anyone around. I got many good advisers around who are supporting me. I want to be strong like all others but I don't know when. I still could not accept it and don't know if I can. The only question going around me now is will I live healthy ever? Or will i die soon! Thanks for reading my sloppy introduction.

Shad

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sad you are far from your family in this... but there are very many type 1 diabetics in here in all ages... so stay here and ask all the questions you have ..some are very experienced in here and can reasure you and give excellent advise sometimes..

Reactions: noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @Shad Ahammed

Diabetes does come as quite a shock but it's a condition that you can live healthy with and shouldn't impact on your life too much, in time things will get easier and you'll cope just like the next person.

By far the first few weeks & months are the worst so don't despair, the life expectancy of people who have the condition under control is increasing with every decade that passes, keep in regular contact with your diabetes team and you'll be fine.

Take care and best wishes.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @Shad Ahammed :)

You're not alone. There are lots of Type 1s here :)

Give yourself time. A Type 1 diagnosis is a big shock. It will get easier :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The British Prime Minister is a Type 1 diabetic and it doesn't look like she's going to die soon. I heard a pundit say that she is very adept with a mace and chain so I think she could go on for quite some time.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Shad Ahammed and welcome to the forum. It is a shock when you get diagnosed as diabetic, but it is a condition that can be controlled. It is great you have good advisers to support you, and I believe the German health service is very good.
There are a lot of Type 1 diabetics on here who can answer any questions you have, and give you advice and support.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Shad. I was diagnosed type 1 a month ago. I am on my own too, in a new city. I didn't sleep much the first few nights.

Are you on a combination of long acting, and rapid insulin?

Most important thing for me dealing with overnight was:
1) make sure long acting insulin isn't bringing down your blood sugar. It should be just enough to keep you stable.
2) don't go to bed until your rapid insulin has stopped working

Are you having hypos often? Or is it that you're afraid of it?
Might be worth setting an alarm clock for halfway through the night to test.

Reactions: Prem51

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can do it, Shad!
Like Squire said above, the prime minister of Great Britain has Type 1 diabetes, also Halle Berry has Type 1, and the American Footballer Jay Cutler played in the NFL with type 1 diabetes: you can live a long, healthy life with type 1. I know a vicar back in England who is about 80 years old, and he has been living a busy, successful life with Type 1 since he was diagnosed in infancy.
Of course it's not something you can take lightly, but it is something you can manage successfully. The Type 1 people on this forum always come across as a knowledgeable, friendly bunch, so you should probably drop by and ask them questions when you need help!

Reactions: Prem51