I am concerned about my Brother

Mark14400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
My brother has just been diagnosed with high blood pressure and I did a BG test...22.8 mmol/l with no ketones 5 hours after food....That must be diabetic right ? I was diagnosed with Type 1 last year...He has a GP appointment on Monday which is 3 days away. I am thinking an A&E visit is better....I am unsure what to do......Mark

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Looks like diabetic numbers. HbA1c to confirm, obviously.

I think high BG with no ketones is probably not A&E as ketoacidosis is the real emergency condition but you should consider ringing NHS Direct. They are very good over the phone (dealt with them when a friend had a dizzy spell from low blood pressure) and they can tell you what to do.

I assume that he is not eating carbohydrate or sugar laden food for the moment but eating and drinking normally.

We can't really tell you what to do because we are not medical professionals.

Reactions: Mark14400

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to keep an eye on his levels and ketones, and encourage him to cut right down on carbs and sugar, and drink water and more water. until he is sorted out. As you must know, the more carbs he eats the higher his levels will be. That sort of level 5 hours after eating is not good, but no ketones makes it less of an emergency..

It isn't a good situation to be in, so if you are really worried I would phone NHS Direct.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was diagnosed with Type 1 last year...He has a GP appointment on Monday which is 3 days away. I am thinking an A&E visit is better....I am unsure what to do......Mark

Misread your post, either than or try and get an emergency appointment in the morning at the gp surgery.

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I agree with @noblehead
your brother should phone for a GP appointment tomorrow -- for an "on the day" appointment

or ring NHS direct on 111

I would not "do nothing" until the Monday GP appointment !!