I am hopelessly lost

rudini

I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes in September. We returned from holiday and I felt terrible. Long story short, I was admitted to hospital with a blood sugar of 36. Discharged the next day with a prescription for Lantus and Byetta. The Byetta was supposed to help me lose weight, only I didn't get the nausea and curbed appetite most people get. I've gained 5 lbs since I started diabetes meds. I have other problems too. I have cirrhosis form chronic hepatitis, which has ruled me out for bariatric surgery, and I also am on thyroxine for hypothyroid. I think it's the Lantus responsible for weight gain, as I have been eating less and getting exercise now I'm not getting hypos every day. My PCT is going to take away my byetta if I don't lose weight (HELP!) and then i will just balloon I will gain tons of weight. Because of liver disease, low carb diet isn't appropriate. it would poison my liver. Right now I am semi vegetarian--I eat fish and seafood as well as eggs and some dairy. I don't know which way to turn and I am so upset. Any doctors here with advice?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Lantus is an insulin analogue and insulin makes you put on weight. Look at the leaflet, which comes in the pack. Does it state that in the side effects? If so point it out to your care team.
If you're a T2 could you manage on the Byetta alone? Read David Mendosa's Web site. He used Byetta and lost masses of weight and is now off all medication.
Have you tried reducing the carbohydrate that you eat? If you follow the usual diabetes Uk recommended diet of "plenty of complex carbohydrate with each meal" you will inevitably put on weight and have high blood glucose numbers. the medics will then blame you for your difficulty in keeping yuor numbers down and failing to lose weight, when It's their dietary advice causing it

Katharine

I can't understand why a low carb diet would be dangerous for you.
Reducing carbs will help normalise your blood sugars and you will need a lot less insulin. Many people have the idea that all low carb diets are ketogenic. Only those under 50g a day are and even then I don't understand why your liver would suffer.

Perhaps you could ask them to clarify matters for you.

rudini

Low carb means high protein and sometimes high fat, neither of which are good for people with compromised liver function. High protein diets are bad for cirrhosis. So I'm between a rock and a hard place.
Hanadr, my diabetes team know that insulin causes weight gain. That's why they gave me byetta, in the hope it would counteract that from lantus. Unfortunately, I am one of those people who don't react to byetta with reduced appetite or nausea. I would welcome nausea at this point, but it's not happening, and I'm on the 10 ug dose 2x daily which I think is the most anyone can have.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
rudini said:
Low carb means high protein and sometimes high fat, neither of which are good for people with compromised liver function.

Not necessarily - don't think "Atkins." Increase your veg & fruit consumption. I began by reducing my carbs by about 2/3. I lost a stone in 3 months.