I am in remission??!

Biggles2

ummm ... no mention of diet, so i guess it's possible to be classed as being in some stage of remission but still not be able to eat a 'normal' diet (i.e. pizza and sugar) without consequences - unless of course you define a lchf diet as an 'ongoing procedure' - which personally, i wouldn't.

No mention of diet because the ADA and other guideline producing organizations do not believe that dietary control works in the long term. I believe I read in the 2017 ADA Guidelines something along the lines of "when lifestyle measures fail” not “if, lifestyle measures fail”….. in their discussion of treatment escalation from lifestyle measures to medication.

My personal hypothesis is that I have controlled my T2DM with a low carb, healthy fat diet and I am now in remission. However, as I have had both gestational DM and T2DM I know that I am hardwired to revert to hyperglycemia when ectopic fat reaccumulates in my pancreas and liver.

So, I hope/need to stay as low carb as I can long term, with my BMI at 20.2; I have no desire to poke this particular tiger so I have no plans to revert to a ‘normal’ diet. This is my new normal now!

Reactions: KathyCP

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates and lack of testing strips being supplied due to NICE rules.
Hi all,

I just had my 3 month review, from being diagnosed (it's actually 6 months since first blood test) and my new HB1ac is 42! Am so chuffed as have worked so hard, and have been worrying about having had some blow out days etc over the 3 months and what effect they would have on my results, and am so very pleased to know all my hard work has paid off!
But the nurse told me I am in remission, that I am still insulin resistant and still have diabetes, but that my numbers are now in normal perimeters so I am now classed as in remission? I've heard mixed views on this, is there such a thing as remission, my nurse friend says no?! I always feel like one high is taken away with another conflict in opinion

Trish
Congrats and well done. It is truly commendable that you have decided to take control and shape your future with achieving as best as you can "Normal blood sugar levels" and you see @Trishbethel that is what you have been able to achieve through hard work and dedication despite "blow out days" and that is where the comparison with "Normal parameters" against "Non diabetics" ends because a non diabetic non insulin resistant individual doesn't have to work that hard or be that disciplined to be within "normal parameters" because their blood sugars are in a relatively tight "Normal blood sugar"range regardless, because they are not diabetic nor Insulin resistant and everything including their "blood sugar levels works as it should do in "Non diabetics". That's why your Nurse friend has a point and it doesn't take away your fantastic result and efforts but it just needs to be explained why she has a valid point. If we deviate from our strict dietary regime which gives us our normal blood sugars and test outside of "normal parameters" if we deviate than by any definition we are not cured/or in remission etc that is the reality in the short term. No matter what others might suggest when they come along and say "you're/we're cured". It's a throw away line. It would appear.

You are a diabetic as I am and we get caught up with labels such as "reversed/cured/in remission/normal parameters" that doesn't really mean anything in Diabetes management terms . Maintaining normal blood sugars long term means that you will not suffer the potential dire consequences that come with high blood sugars. Some health clinicians might take tight "normal blood sugars" over 12 months with HbA1c's at c5% (off of all diabetic meds), as being good enough to remove your diabetic marker (especially as you are newly diagnosed). Mine (NHS in the UK) won't. I have been advised even when I suggested if I am able to demonstrate "normal blood sugars" over the next 2 years off meds as I have done in just 15 weeks on my "Normal parameter" regime!) they still won't remove the diabetic marker! Another doctor's practice may well grant me my request after just 9 months it varies.

So continue with your excellent work and efforts. Don't get caught up with labels just focus on the the HUGE rewards for your fantastic effort! Keep it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trishbethel

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates and lack of testing strips being supplied due to NICE rules.
ummm ... no mention of diet, so i guess it's possible to be classed as being in some stage of remission but still not be able to eat a 'normal' diet (i.e. pizza and sugar) without consequences - unless of course you define a lchf diet as an 'ongoing procedure' - which personally, i wouldn't.

Just finished reading "Dr Bernstein's Diabetes solution, The complete guide to achieving normal blood sugars" he subscribes to the view that the solution is a whole of life low carb regime which I would tend to agree with. So one person's "normal" like "pizza and sugar" is another person's "Poison". You gotta laugh....

Reactions: Freema

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
Hello,Trish .Well done I think you are cured.These medics and big pharma. Do not want you cured.There are no profits in cures .They just want to keep you ticking over,keep you thinking you are stuck with it.I was a type 2 diabetic.6 months ago i went on a 24 hour alternate fasting diet .in which i lost over 3 st in weight and reduced my blood suger levels to normal.I can eat what i like without any adverse effects All the horrible complications i was getting have cleared up.I consider myself free of diabetes.Of course i check my BG readings now and again.Don't let the doctor or nurse tell you you haven't done well.You have.I am very pleased for you

Edgemac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am the same diagnosed in may just seen nurse ,stoped all my sugar ,only take one metraformin at teatime and eat normal happy days,

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No mention of diet because the ADA and other guideline producing organizations do not believe that dietary control works in the long term. I believe I read in the 2017 ADA Guidelines something along the lines of "when lifestyle measures fail” not “if, lifestyle measures fail”….. in their discussion of treatment escalation from lifestyle measures to medication.

My personal hypothesis is that I have controlled my T2DM with a low carb, healthy fat diet and I am now in remission. However, as I have had both gestational DM and T2DM I know that I am hardwired to revert to hyperglycemia when ectopic fat reaccumulates in my pancreas and liver.

So, I hope/need to stay as low carb as I can long term, with my BMI at 20.2; I have no desire to poke this particular tiger so I have no plans to revert to a ‘normal’ diet. This is my new normal now!

The " hardwired" idea is very interesting. My mum, 5 of her 6 sisters and several of my female cousins are t2d. Her one brother is lada. He has a t1 son and his daughter has gestational diabetes. Some of my cousins have t1 children. However, there are a great many of us, so it obviously didnt affect fertility.

My point is that none of this can be a new thing in my family. It didnt just start 30 odd years ago when my eldest aunt was told she had maturity onset diabetes. It (whatever genetic quirk "it" is) did not just suddenly hit that generation. But looking through family history it doesnt seem as tho we died sooner than most, or went blind or lost our feet. We have never been wealthy and usually worked on farms, so the diet was seasonal , adequate and rich in calories. But it is very far removed from a normal diet of today.

No snacks just 3 meals. Cooked breakfast. Lots of dripping, butter and well cooked cheap meat like mutton and trotters!! Lots of fish if my uncles had been fishing. There was bread but not much cake. No pasta, no rice unless it had milk and had been in the oven for hours, and then reheated 2 days in a row.

Sweets and chocolate were birthday treats. Icecream only if we had money when the ice cream man came around. Roast dinner once a week and jelly on sundays. No other puddings except if we were poorly. No squash or lemonade. No fruit juice but lots of seasonal fruit. No mango, grapes or lychee but apples, pears and strawberries as a summer treat.

I dont think we were that unusual. Could be wrong about that. But I remember eating like this for most of my childhood. My children did not have a diet like this. Sweets could be had every day. There was always icecream in the freezer. Cake, squash, pizza, pasta, rice readymeals ..... they are always at hand. Snack as many times a day as you want, food is always there. Its this diet that is not normal.

I have been thinking about this a lot recently. What I am doing is returning to a normal diet. I am going to eat a normal diet of the type my family had eaten in the years before we all became diabetic. And my older great aunts ( we are a very female family!)were not skinny. I had some enormous great aunts but they didnt seem to go blind or lose their toes. Whatever made them fat did not seem to trigger t2d. Or if it did they still made into thier 80s and mostly died of heart problems after smoking for 50 years.

I am not " controlling my diet" in an abnormal way. The diet I had before was abnormal and it provoked an illness response. If I go back to an abnormal diet I will become ill again. My diet is now normal.

Anthony1738

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Boom Boom Club Music (cant see the point its not Music) Moto GP and Manchester United
The " hardwired" idea is very interesting. My mum, 5 of her 6 sisters and several of my female cousins are t2d. Her one brother is lada. He has a t1 son and his daughter has gestational diabetes. Some of my cousins have t1 children. However, there are a great many of us, so it obviously didnt affect fertility.

My point is that none of this can be a new thing in my family. It didnt just start 30 odd years ago when my eldest aunt was told she had maturity onset diabetes. It (whatever genetic quirk "it" is) did not just suddenly hit that generation. But looking through family history it doesnt seem as tho we died sooner than most, or went blind or lost our feet. We have never been wealthy and usually worked on farms, so the diet was seasonal , adequate and rich in calories. But it is very far removed from a normal diet of today.

No snacks just 3 meals. Cooked breakfast. Lots of dripping, butter and well cooked cheap meat like mutton and trotters!! Lots of fish if my uncles had been fishing. There was bread but not much cake. No pasta, no rice unless it had milk and had been in the oven for hours, and then reheated 2 days in a row.

Sweets and chocolate were birthday treats. Icecream only if we had money when the ice cream man came around. Roast dinner once a week and jelly on sundays. No other puddings except if we were poorly. No squash or lemonade. No fruit juice but lots of seasonal fruit. No mango, grapes or lychee but apples, pears and strawberries as a summer treat.

I dont think we were that unusual. Could be wrong about that. But I remember eating like this for most of my childhood. My children did not have a diet like this. Sweets could be had every day. There was always icecream in the freezer. Cake, squash, pizza, pasta, rice readymeals ..... they are always at hand. Snack as many times a day as you want, food is always there. Its this diet that is not normal.

I have been thinking about this a lot recently. What I am doing is returning to a normal diet. I am going to eat a normal diet of the type my family had eaten in the years before we all became diabetic. And my older great aunts ( we are a very female family!)were not skinny. I had some enormous great aunts but they didnt seem to go blind or lose their toes. Whatever made them fat did not seem to trigger t2d. Or if it did they still made into thier 80s and mostly died of heart problems after smoking for 50 years.

I am not " controlling my diet" in an abnormal way. The diet I had before was abnormal and it provoked an illness response. If I go back to an abnormal diet I will become ill again. My diet is now normal.

Great article, well written and describes my childhood eating regime to a tee, and I agree 100% todays western diet of fast junk food sugery drinks and low fat this and that, is not a normal diet.

Reactions: Kentoldlady1