I am spitting feathers today...FURTHER UPDATE

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been taking 25mg Losartan and 2.5mg Bendroflumethiazide for a number of years for my border-line high blood pressure and well before I was diagnosed with T2.

In the book I am reading at present by Barry Groves it says that taking Bendroflumethiazide can give you diabetes so I read the insert with the tablets. It says - Tell you doctor if you notice any of the following side effects - Metabolism - decreased carbohydrate tolerance, worsening of existing diabetes.

I have made an appointment to see a doctor on 19th January and I want some answers. Did taking this medication give me diabetes? Why wasn't it flagged up? Will stopping this medication reduce on BG levels?

I am so bl**dy annoyed.

Appointment this morning, my BP is fine but I can only drop the Bendroflumethiazide but I must measure my blood pressure to make sure it doesn't rise. Then in the next few weeks I can try going without the Losartan. Told her that I have stopped taking one of my Metformin and again must make sure that my BG doesn't rise. Got praise for how well managing my BG.
Carol

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so sorry to read this.

You (like millions of people on statins) increase their chance of diabetes by just taking the tablets.

I fell into the same trap myself a few years ago. With me, I just assumed that despite being very high risk of D (due to PCOS and a medication that I am on for another health condition) that my doc would adequately monitor my pre-D status. I was very wrong.

Consequently I now double check everything. Every drug. Every contraindication. Every potential drug interaction. I check how often I should get checkups, and blood tests, and monitor everything myself. I certainly don't trust that sporadic spot checks and rushed appointments will give me all the info I need.

Sad to say, we all need to do this ourselves, for EVERYTHING. And that includes scrutinising the leaflet that comes inside the box of tablets, and then re-reading it occasionally, in case our circumstances, or the leaflet, have changed.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To be honest, we are all responsible for reading the inserts within any drugs we are given. I know we don't , but we should.

I'm not sure a GP will know every side effect on every drug they prescribe, as these usually are not high incidences. So while I understand your frustration, it's not entirely your GPs fault.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
This free app featured in a report on BBC Scotland looks promising as a way to assess how medications impact on the body. It works by reading the bar codes on prescribed medications and seems to be preloaded with all the medical data. I spent ages trying to find it on the internet without succes, but it seems that it's in beta testing at present as I've just 5 minutes ago came across this statement on the company website -
The free App called Medsmart is currently in early use by a closed group of patients and will be released on iOS and Android within the next few months across the UK.
Here's a link to the BBC report _
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-38509538

Swanny57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I will need to check with my gp as I am having problems with my diabetes too and am on this med as well, need to check it out

AnnInDenmark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This free app featured in a report on BBC Scotland looks promising as a way to assess how medications impact on the body. It works by reading the bar codes on prescribed medications and seems to be preloaded with all the medical data. I spent ages trying to find it on the internet without succes, but it seems that it's in beta testing at present as I've just 5 minutes ago came across this statement on the company website -
The free App called Medsmart is currently in early use by a closed group of patients and will be released on iOS and Android within the next few months across the UK.
Here's a link to the BBC report _
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-38509538

Have you seen this site?
https://www.drugs.com/uk/

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I am on this .. but as with stain my Dr is adamant that they cannot cause diabetes !!!!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, we are all responsible for reading the inserts within any drugs we are given. I know we don't , but we should.

I'm not sure a GP will know every side effect on every drug they prescribe, as these usually are not high incidences. So while I understand your frustration, it's not entirely your GPs fault.

I agree with all you have said here. I read all of the leaflets when I take a new drug. The problem of side effects can still occur when there's a change in your health, not necessarily involving a new drug, you don't always think to check the leaflet on something you have been taking for years with no problems. Wouldn't it be sensible to have a warning on the GP's PC when there are contraindications with a certain drug or condition or age?

I know of some one who has taken a drug for years and had the flu jab for years. She went to flu clinic in the Autumn and was asked if she wouild like a pneumonia jab as well. She said 'Yes'. Who wouldn't? Neither she or the nurse knew that the pneumonia jab should not be given with this particular drug. How many of us would think to check on a spur of the moment decision like that? The consequences were very serious, causing the patient (who was not overweight to start with) to lose 35 pounds in 5 weeks and have serious problems with her liver, bowel, pancreas and kidneys.

This should not have happened. I don't consider the incident was the fault of the nurse or the patient. It's a system failure. There should be an alert on patients records and these should be taken into account before even inviting them to a flu clinic. Costly? Perhaps, but why make the healthy ill through negligence?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes I am on this .. but as with stain my Dr is adamant that they cannot cause diabetes !!!!
@Enclave I'm going to stick my neck out and say I feel I was prediabetic in the womb. I had diabetic symptoms at 5-6yr old of which I remember.
My mum was on high blood pressure tablets and one anxiety tablet which she relied on. However my 2 other siblings do not have diabetes and are checked regularly. Mum too. Mum is 68yr old on statins and 3 blood pressure tablets and oesteoarthritis tablets.
I think we diabetics are predisposed to diabetes like some to cancer etc.
So a med can TRIGGER diabetes but it was there domant already @carol43 .
This however is just my belief through experience but i know we are all different.
Others believe other things about autism etc.... again i feel it is triggered by drugs or something.
Stress causes alot of problems that are just unravelling for me.
Hormones are very very complex.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, statins certainly do increase blood sugar levels. I've just doubled my dose due to a cardio condition and have had to increase my daily Basal by a unit.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I have steroid induced diabetes - been on and off the blasted things for over 20 years - hindsight is a wonderful thing! They should come with a health warning and a low carb diet sheet!

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
wow did not know steroids could cause diabetes....

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well, statins certainly do increase blood sugar levels. I've just doubled my dose due to a cardio condition and have had to increase my daily Basal by a unit.
I might have to do the same if I start statins. Although research cannot prove statins beneficial after a heart attack or starting with heart failure. The juror is out. Its an individual choice. I might try them for 6mths to see any improvement but my total cholesterol is 3.9, 4.2, 4.4 on recent tests with good levels of individual hdl, ldl and trigs. I don't want it too low either.
I'll make an informed choice on speaking to cardiologist for his experience.
I'm trying to reduce my insulin not increase it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
That's just it. Not everyone on steroids get diabetes. I feel pre-existing first.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
wow did not know steroids could cause diabetes....
I wish I didn't know either! And the problem is if you have one autoimmune disorder you are far more likely to get another (since your whole system gets out of whack - real technical term that!). The docs don't tell you this unfortunately. Hey ho, such is life.