I am spitting feathers today...FURTHER UPDATE

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My friend is on high dose steroids. She has 3 monthly blood tests for her condition and these always include an HbA1c. Her doctors have warned her about possible diabetes. So far (2 years on) she is OK.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I think I must be lucky. The pharmacy where I collect my meds from always go through the side affects and contraindications of a new meds with me and then do a follow up by phone both two and four weeks later. This is an opt in service they provide for free They also do their own annual review with me which has been very useful over the years.

If I have any concerns they are more than happy to discuss them with me either on the phone or if I pop in to the shop.

It was the pharmacist that warned me about steroid injections and also worked out that the horrendous cough I had had for two years was caused by my BP meds.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Maybe I'll end up in the guiness book of records for the most ailments? I'm holding my breath getting my kidneys checked next week (blood test).

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have been taking 25mg Losartan and 2.5mg Bendroflumethiazide for a number of years for my border-line high blood pressure and well before I was diagnosed with T2.

In the book I am reading at present by Barry Groves it says that taking Bendroflumethiazide can give you diabetes so I read the insert with the tablets. It says - Tell you doctor if you notice any of the following side effects - Metabolism - decreased carbohydrate tolerance, worsening of existing diabetes.

I have made an appointment to see a doctor on 19th January and I want some answers. Did taking this medication give me diabetes? Why wasn't it flagged up? Will stopping this medication reduce on BG levels?

I am so bl**dy annoyed.

Appointment this morning, my BP is fine but I can only drop the Bendroflumethiazide but I must measure my blood pressure to make sure it doesn't rise. Then in the next few weeks I can try going without the Losartan. Told her that I have stopped taking one of my Metformin and again must make sure that my BG doesn't rise. Got praise for how well managing my BG.
Carol

Did your GP confirm about bendroflurazide being linked to diabetes?

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I thought the same was supposed to be true of taking antidepressants, or at least this is mentioned in 'Blood sugar 101'.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
antidepressants (paroxatine) puts my blood sugars up.
Im glad its not just me that had that effect. Locum GP said it must be something I had eaten.

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Did the GP confirm the link between bendroflurazide and diabetes as he has taken you off it?

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No she didn't confirm it but she wouldn't, would she. The practice would be liable for any claims I could make. So from tomorrow I will not be taking it anymore. Will test both BP and BG to see if it makes a difference. Did think of asking for a meter and strips but I couldn't be bothered/

S

serenity648

all the SSR1's I have tried have adversely affected both my blood pressure and blood sugars, and they didnt blinkin' work either!!!

I have atypical depression and anxiety.

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
No she didn't confirm it but she wouldn't, would she. The practice would be liable for any claims I could make. So from tomorrow I will not be taking it anymore. Will test both BP and BG to see if it makes a difference. Did think of asking for a meter and strips but I couldn't be bothered/

Really interested to know how you got on as I on both these meds for BP have you got a BP meter?
Good luck

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Well.,I take Bendrofluamethazide AND Ramapril, an SSRI (Sertraline) and was on steroids for the best part of thirty years! Guess that's me stuffed lol.

But seriously folks..in my case, I think my weight tipped me over the edge. As for the steroids, I have no regrets - without them I'd be dead. In some cases they are very necessary, and are certainly not something that should be stopped outright without getting the go ahead from a doctor.
With the others it's the same really, see if there are alternatives though, with bp meds and anti-depressants, there usually are.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This will be the first day without Bendro so I will be monitoring my BP closely and my BG of course.Will post the outcome.

Reactions: zand

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we all look for reasons as to why we have diabetes. My husband took steroids for two years for Polymyalgia then it went into remission and he stopped them but he developed T2. His doctor said it was probably the steroids because he was not typical in any other way. What do you do if you need a certain medication for a condition but that can make you more predisposed to diabetes. The Polymyalgia has now returned as it can and he is back on steroids again they are the only thing that works for the pain. His doctor is worried about them raising his BG and is trying to get him down to the lowest dose that he can manage without pain and he is having fortnightly blood tests . No one can prove that steroids caused his diabetes but nothing he can do will change that now he is diabetic for life as am I. I also have T2 but was not typical for diabetes never overweight did not eat a high sugar or starchy carb diet but I have taken statins for over 10 years so have to wonder if mine was caused by taking those but no good dwelling on it. We just have to get on with it now and keep our diabetes control as good as we can

Reactions: al_leister