i cant do this

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nobody can tell you what you have to eat, but if you choose to manage your diabetes with a low carb diet, then you do need to follow a low carb (or at least a lower carb) way of eating. And that does mean there are certain things that it's definitely advisable not to eat - but it's entirely your own choice whether or not you heed this.

But you also should remember two things:
  • a minor dietary blip in the form of a piece of coffee cake or a pasty is simply tripping over a minor dietary molehill and not falling off the top of a high carb mountain, so just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and remind yourself that tomorrow is a new day to Carry On Low Carbing...
  • The other thing is that if you're a resourceful low carber you can often have your treats without them being unfriendly to your glucose levels. Look at low carb baking recipes which use healthy alternatives such as ground almonds or other nuts, as well as other good low carb foods such as butter and eggs, and you can make and enjoy your own delicious coffee cake. (Try our own Ewelina's Diabetic Good Baking site!)
Robbity

Reactions: zand

Fearless36

Everyone goes through moments like this so you are in good company.

Believe it or not - you can get to a point where you are in control and can choose what to eat. Just because you are diabetic doesn't mean you don't get to eat foods you like or love, far from it, but it does mean being more conscious about how your body works, what it needs and what effects foods have on it.

Back in the 80's when I was first diagnosed at 4 years, I thought my world was over. At that young age, I would go birthday parties etc and watch children eat birthday cakes and was not allowed any at the time. I realize now it was done in my own interests, but it was hard going. Later on, when insulin was being chemically made - I was able to eat foods of all sorts and made up for that lost time. The beauty and wonder of having diabetes though made me so much more conscious about what I ate and what my body needed in comparison to those who rarely look after their bodies. In many ways diabetes is a gift because it gets you to learn about your body in a unique and wholesome way unlike anything else out there and there are advantages that come with knowing your body that well!

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
im not cut out for being told what i can and cant eat
im weak
i cave in
cheese and onion pasty and huge slice of coffee cake
levels shot up to 12.5
ive managed to get them down to 8 by drinking lots
i know i have to do this
ive been doing so well too
just want to cry

It is really hard isn't it. I feel like someone who is trying to give up a drug only they are available everywhere and everyone else partakes... But it has got much better even in 10 weeks. I find that there is less and less I crave for and more and more alternates that are pretty good. Chocolate mouse last week was devine and better than shop bought stuff.

Firstly, if you are going to crack - just have a small bit. That would be a great help because in my experience those things became more of a habit than actually something I really enjoyed. Go out and have a coffee and cake - when really going out was the best bit not the cake.

Many have already said, find alternatives. Low carb bread with loads of butter is ok - I have come across some diabetic jam and marmalade and although not perfect are better than the originals by a mile. Polypol chocolate is quite good - I got some almond milk chocolate for a special occasion and it was lovely and one bit didn't seem to spike my BG much at all.

Good luck - keep on it and don't regret every set back just think about the gallons of water you needed to put the fire out :)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm! Your punishment for that infringement is 1950's school dinner insipid style cooked cabbage
I was having school dinners in the 1950's at secondary school and I loved them even the cabbage. We had really good cooks and the only dinner we had that all of us did not like was liver followed by tapioca pudding...frogs spawn we called it..my husband is the only person I have ever known who liked tapioca he didn't have school dinners but his mum made it. Our favourite dinner of the week was savoury mince with peas in it and mashed potato and for sweet chocolate shortbread with pink custard we also loved the custard tart, rice pudding with jam, roast dinner and fish and chips on Friday. I used to tell my mum they were better than the dinners she cooked and she was not a bad cook

Reactions: Guzzler

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
thanks everyone
i guess it was a bad day ive been ok since
i was stressing over a hospital appointment (lady probs) and the info they sent me had tears running down my face
works out i stressed over nothing because they did nothing on the info sheet
im now saying no to foods i cant have...........i do find when stressed i tend to reach for the bad foods, i need to start writing it down again because when i see the foods ive eaten with my glucose levels i feel better about it

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
thanks everyone
i was stressing over a hospital appointment (lady probs) and the info they sent me had tears running down my face
im now saying no to foods i cant have...........i do find when stressed i tend to reach for the bad foods, i need to start writing it down again because when i see the foods ive eaten with my glucose levels i feel better about it

Life is a learning journey... and it should be learning as well how to live and get thru health as well... and remain positive and not get cheesed (ha!) off or stressed.

Its hard and you have lots of empathy here.

Reactions: azure

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
thanks everyone

Hi licklemoose, glad you are feeling better, I am so trying the Black Forest gateau at the weekend that looks yummy. We all 'step off the wagon' sometimes, it is ok as long as you step back on quickly.

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi licklemoose, i really feel for you - i remember feeling like my world had blown up when i was first diagnosed, and it was like a little death contemplating the thought of never eating anything sweet again - i loooove sweeet things - or i used to ..... i'm pretty good about food now, but i decided over christmas time that i would eat what i want - as usual, there were chocolates all over the house for days, and to my surprise, i realised that i actually didn't want one - so i never ate even one over the holidays.

hang on in there, and there's a good chance that your tastes will change, so that it stops being so hard - but as everybody says, the really important thing is not to beat yourself up and don't try to behave like a machine - take it a meal at a time.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Good for you @licklemoose. You have discovered that you are stronger than you thought, and by reaching out and asking for help you have inspired others and drawn on our group strength. Together we can beat this, gradually it becomes easier and along the way we inspire others.