I can't stand this!

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi!

I've recently been diagnosed with diabetes after a long time of feeling frankly horrible. I had two fasting tests which were consistent with diabetes, followed by a HbA1c test which was 9.8.

I'm barely 30 and although I have a family history of diabetes I wouldn't have thought I'd be a "candidate" for the illness. I feel physically sick and mentally exhausted, I haven't been to work in weeks due to fatigue, I'm sleeping excessive amounts, I've zero energy, I'm having vision problems, really frightening tingling/pins and needles in my hands and an all over itch that won't go away - All in all I feel rotten.

Anyway I received a call from my GP when the result from the HbA1c test came back and was advised to "book an appointment right away", I took that advice and phoned the surgery but the earliest appointment they had available was the 4th of April and I was too tired to argue the point with the receptionist. It's weeks away and I don't think I can cope with feeling this way for much longer.

What can I do in the meantime? I'm trying to research "at home" options to make me feel a bit more human again until I can see my GP but I haven't come across anything yet.

I'm not eating much these days because I feel sick, I am constantly thirsty so I'm drinking a lot of fluids already, I'm sleeping way too much and I hate it but I can't stay awake. Any advice please?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Make sure that none of the fluids you are drinking are fruit juice or anything else that contains sugar.

Other than that, the best thing you can do for yourself is to join this site's free online low carb program - it's a life changer. I'll also tag @daisy1 who will give you some advice for newcomers.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb/

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

I would call your go back and ask for an emergency appointment, and ask them to check with a doctor as they called you and told you to make an appointment. I had a similar situation with my doctors receptionist, and I asked them to check with a doctor who called me back 15 mins later and asked me to come straight to the surgery.

The receptionists have rules they have to stick to but they can be over ruled by your doctor.

My docs advice to me on the phone was do not eat or drink anything with sugar in, no bread, potatoes, rice or pasta... I laughed as it was 9.30am

He also said no fruit, no fruit juice or cereal. I ended up saying what can I eat... He said eggs are good.

There will be somebody along with links eat soon, but please call your doctor back, and I felt so much. Better really quickly cutting out sugar and carbs. It might be worth your while doing that if you can't get to see your doc sooner

Last edited:

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @EmeraldStruggle .. and welcome
I agree with @Bs0lth .. I was called in by my doc after a routine "Well Man" check-up and the receptionist made an appointment for the same afternoon .. completely overriding the normal booking system. So, call again asap ..
In the meantime, I would suggest that you don't eat or drink anything with sugar .. and while you're waiting for the doc, you might find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful
Also the following websites ...
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds
Low Carb 10-week Programme
Hope this helps

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just dropped in for an urgent on the day appointment with my GP. You can't book them over telephone, you just have to be there before 10.30am- maybe your practice has something similar? And it's much harder for reception to say no if you are physically there saying GP told you to make an urgent appointment. Or ask to speak to practice manager, they often have a bit more sway. Try it out, you might be surprised.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Before you are able to see the GP, do really reduce your carb intake and have enough proteins, fats, veg and good fruit to keep you feeling full. For example eggs and bacon is fine for breakfast and so on. If you feel really unwell do go to A&E.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@EmeraldStruggle Sorry that you have been forced to join the club, pleased that you have found this forum.
The above posters are right about the food, do drink water, and lots of it.
The single most important piece of advice I got from here was GET A METER, and the 2nd, Use It!
As the old saying goes 'if it aint measured , it aint managed' By taking readings you will get an idea of what task is in front of you
Do keep a diary of what you eat
Test Before a meal, and 2 hours after (first bite)
Log it, if the rise after a meal is greater that say 2, there is something in that meal that you cannot cope with, the task is to eliminate it.

A link for a free monitor and 10 test strips
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

How to use one

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @EmeraldStruggle

I can only echo what others have said - call doctor to get an emergency appointment and in the meantime cut out all sugars and starchy carbohydrates- bread, rice, pasta, potatoes. There is good advice about this on the forum in the low carb diet section and you could also check out the diet doctor website.

A meter to keep track of your sugar levels (alongside a note of what you are eating) would be a good investment. Do check out the price of strips before buying - meters are inexpensive or even free, but the strips vary widely in price. Two meters with reasonably priced strips are the SD Codefree and the Tee2. There is a section on this website about meters and testing.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

Reactions: Freema and Ultramum

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my advice would be as the others have said book an emergency appointment as you feel so unwell before you do anything else. As said many here have a low carb diet that works for them but it is not the official NHS guidelines for diabetics so many doctors do not approve of it so we can't say you should do it We don't know if you have any other medical conditions that could affect what you do if so you should ask your doctor about it

Reactions: Freema

sd29

A&E. please. You don't say whether they think it's T1 or 2, if you're T1 and untreated, it can be a life threatening emergency.

denbote76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I feel your struggle. I also learned quite recently that I have a high blood sugar. I take refuge in this forum, lots of things you will discover that would make you feel better.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@EmeraldStruggle

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information, mentioned above, we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi everyone and thank you so much for the advice and the warm welcome.

I haven't as yet been "typed" but judging from my phone conversation with my GP he seemed to be leaning towards a type 2 diagnosis which completely baffles me. I don't think I was checked for Ketones but I will ask about it.

I should have said in my opening post that I've also been diagnosed with an under active thyroid - The GP confirmed this on the phone on top of the diabetes.

I feel like I'm falling apart, my exhaustion is crushing me and I know that probably sounds melodramatic but it really does feel like my whole body is being weighed down to the point that an everyday task like having a shower is "too much", I haven't the energy to stand upright.

In terms of food I have no appetite and I have been living on crackers, grapes and water (mostly water because I am so bloody thirsty); My mum has been round every day making me delicious meals that I just can't face.

There have been a number of changes implemented at my doctor's surgery of late; It used to be that you could see a doctor or nurse without an appointment by going to the "open surgery" available five days a week from 9am to 12pm but they did away with this.

It now means that other than booking a routine appointment where the typical waiting time is 3 to 4 weeks the only other way to see a doctor is by phoning the surgery between 8.30am and 9am to request an emergency appointment for that day but there's a limited number of emergency slots - I had managed to get an emergency appointment on Thursday but about 10 minutes later the receptionist phoned me back to say that the doctor was "no longer available" and I'd have to "try again on Monday". Friday was St Patrick's Day and the surgery would have been closed, so I will try on Monday!

I'm going to read up on the low carb diet that some of you have suggested and I will also order myself a monitor/test strips etc but can I ask any of you who are type 2 diabetics how many (if any) of the typical risk factors would you say you had prior to your diagnosis?

Thanks again, I'll update once I see my GP!

Reactions: ickihun and Freema

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @EmeraldStruggle

Your blood sugars are too high. The most important thing you need to do is to avoid food which will make your sugars go high. This means you should avoid eating grapes and crackers. Grapes have a lot of sugars and crackers are mostly carbohydrate which gets turned into sugar very quickly.

You need foods which are low in carbohydrates, so avoid breakfast cereals, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta. Also don't drink fruit juice as it is full of sugar. A lot of fruit is high in sugar, especially bananas and grapes. If you want fruit then strawberries or blueberries are best.

You can eat more fat in your diet as this gives you energy, but keeps your blood sugar low. Cheese, full fat yoghurt, cream, nuts, avacodos are ok.

For breakfast I usually have a one egg omelette with some grated cheese sprinkled on while I am cooking it. For lunch I usually have salad with cheese. There are lots of recipes over at www.dietdoctor.com

You should think about getting a blood glucose meter to check out your blood glucose levels and find which foods you can tolerate. Getting pins a needles in your hands is a symptom called neuropathy. I have been getting this recently along with an itchy skin on my back when I have had a bath. The solution to this is to keep your blood sugars low. The best way to do this is to eat the right foods. You may like to look up Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diet on this forum.

High blood sugar causes the lenses in your eyes to swell which causes blurred vision. You may find this improves once your blood sugars are brought under control. I had to get new glasses for driving about a month after being diagnosed as Type 2 as I was finding my driving glasses a bit blurry. It is fine now, but I think reducing my blood sugars improved my eyesight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liam1955

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes cracers and grapes ate among the worst you can eat better eat some nuts and cherrytomatoes instead

Reactions: Liam1955

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely try again for a doctors appointment but also definitely go low carb as soon as you can. and stick with it. You may not feel very good for a few days as your body adjusts to not having carbs but after 10 days or so (hopefully fewer) you should feel much better and with more energy and the itching etc should go away too. I know if I have had too many carbs as my eyes start to itch and I feel hot! Do get your self a meter ( the code free has cheapest strips and you will need a lot to start with as you will want to test before and at one and two hours after each meal so you can see what is affecting your blood sugar levels). If the doctor or a nurse/dietician suggests you follow the Eatwell plate or tells you that you should eat starchy carbs with every meal, please don't follow that advice. Take a look at Dietdoctor.com website for good advice for diabetics on why to eat low carb/ high good fats and links to all the science behind it.
If you are hungry try a spoonful of full fat yoghurt or some cheese or some nuts. Keeping some low carb snacks on hand helps when starting out but once adapted to this way of eating you will find you don't need snacks.
Avoid low fat foods (they are usually full of sugar or sweeteners). Avoid fruits - some berries is OK - and you can have the with some cream. Also bacon and eggs make a good and filling breakfast. Use full fat milk and real butter not marg. Veggies taste great cooked with butter or creme fraiche (add some mustard and peri-peri spice for delicious veg).
I only got tested as my mother was diagnosed diabetic (her only risk factor being her age really and having a relative with diabetes. She was not overweight. I wasn't either but did seem to be putting on weight without any reason (now I know it was because I was not handling carbs well). When I was younger I used to have a problem with low blood sugar so maybe just have faulty mechanism for dealing with carbs.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had few indications that I was diabetic, none of the classic symptoms.
I have had a defunct thyroid for some time, I just get an annual blood test and take tablets every day - sorted.
I am enjoying diabetes.
I can eat any meat or fish or shellfish - I have salads and low carb veges, low sugar fruits such as berries and melons - low carb nuts such as brazils and walnuts, sometimes almonds - I indulge in small amounts of high cocoa chocolate. The Lidl protein rolls are good for me. I am being more selfish and not eating the same as my husband but making myself the meals I need - and enjoy.
Getting your thyroid sorted out might help with the diabetes, as it affects all aspects of metabolism, the usual treatment is to start off with a low dosage of Thyroxine as too much too soon can result in palpitations and other unpleasant effects.
Eating low carb with lots of nutritious leaves and low carb veges and fruits is far better than stodgy carbs and sugary junk - it should reduce the symptoms, with any luck and it is a really nice way to eat. It has reduced my weight my blood glucose and my cholesterol and cheered me up no end.