Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi!

I've recently been diagnosed with diabetes after a long time of feeling frankly horrible. I had two fasting tests which were consistent with diabetes, followed by a HbA1c test which was 9.8.

I'm barely 30 and although I have a family history of diabetes I wouldn't have thought I'd be a "candidate" for the illness. I feel physically sick and mentally exhausted, I haven't been to work in weeks due to fatigue, I'm sleeping excessive amounts, I've zero energy, I'm having vision problems, really frightening tingling/pins and needles in my hands and an all over itch that won't go away - All in all I feel rotten.

Anyway I received a call from my GP when the result from the HbA1c test came back and was advised to "book an appointment right away", I took that advice and phoned the surgery but the earliest appointment they had available was the 4th of April and I was too tired to argue the point with the receptionist. It's weeks away and I don't think I can cope with feeling this way for much longer.

What can I do in the meantime? I'm trying to research "at home" options to make me feel a bit more human again until I can see my GP but I haven't come across anything yet.

I'm not eating much these days because I feel sick, I am constantly thirsty so I'm drinking a lot of fluids already, I'm sleeping way too much and I hate it but I can't stay awake. Any advice please?

I think it's a pity that diabetes is an epidemic now all over the world. I believe that is the problem. It is difficult to have enough staff and hospital care.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum @EmeraldStruggle :)

I had an A1c of 9.9 when I was re-diagnosed with type 2 diabetes two years ago. I also had subclinical hyperthyroid, opposite of your condition, hypothyroid. The high glucose level made me tired too, but if I had had your condition, hypothyroid, I would have been absolutely exhausted, and likely sleeping a lot.

Ask your mother if she can get a glucose meter kit for you, one with the cheapest test strips available, so you can monitor your glucose levels guilt free, not having to worry about the cost. If you're in the UK, I hear people mention that the Code Free is a inexpensive, but you may need to order it online. Can someone here in the UK provide her the information she needs?

The first week my glucose levels were as high as 16.5 mmol/l (297 mg/dl). By the end of week 2 my glucose levels were averaging at 9.4 mmol/l (169 mg/dl). By the end of week 4 my glucose levels were averaging at 8.3 mmol/l (149 mg/dl). By week 5 my glucose levels stabilized, and were averaging at 7.5 mmol/l (134 mg/dl) and stayed there for a long while, then gradually continued to improve over the next year.

Perhaps instead of grapes, you can switch to raw vegetables such as green and red sweet peppers, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, corgettes, but if you have carrots, only small amounts. Small amounts daily of frozen or fresh berries are okay too. Avocado, raw nuts are good too, as are the hard cheeses. Eggs in any form are a good source of protein and fat.

Keep posting your questions. Forum members here will support you through this. Keep trying for an earlier doctor appointment. Glad you have someone taking care of you right now. :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and if you can muster the energy here and there throughout the day and evening, consider registering for The Diabetes Summit. It's free and it's starting now. You'll learn lots there. Each day for eight days you'll have the opportunity to listen to any of the 4 to 5 interviews scheduled for each day. If you can only listen for 30 minutes, pause the interview and finish listening to it after you've rested. See information in my signature line below this post. After you register, you'll get a daily email from Dr. Brian Mowll with a link to each day's interviews. If you have a problem getting the link to the summit after you register, check your spam/junk folder. If it's not there, re-register then contact me and I'll private mail you a link. :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, and if you can muster the energy here and there throughout the day and evening, consider registering for The Diabetes Summit. It's free and it's starting now. You'll learn lots there. Each day for eight days you'll have the opportunity to listen to any of the 4 to 5 interviews scheduled for each day. If you can only listen for 30 minutes, pause the interview and finish listening to it after you've rested. See information in my signature line below this post. After you register, you'll get a daily email from Dr. Brian Mowll with a link to each day's interviews. If you have a problem getting the link to the summit after you register, check your spam/junk folder. If it's not there, re-register then contact me and I'll private mail you a link. :)
@Winnie53
I have had a look at this site you recommended. The only thing that appears to be free is the registration. To view the connent I am being asked to pay anything between $59 for the digital view, and $99 for downloading some content.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Winnie53
I have had a look at this site you recommended. The only thing that appears to be free is the registration. To view the connent I am being asked to pay anything between $59 for the digital view, and $99 for downloading some content.

@Pipp Thanks for letting me know you're having a problem!

After you register, you will be sent a link from "Diabetes Summit | Dr. Brian Mowll" to watch today's presentations for free, but it takes a while for the email to arrive, also it can end up in your spam/junk folder. Am sending you a PM with today's link. :)

Glad to do this for anyone who contacts me too.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@EmeraldStruggle did you say gp prescribed levothyroine?
Diabetes in type2s is very very uncomfortable and comfort levels had been diminishing over time.
Underactive thyroid symptoms appear and get ignored in the same way. Except when the thyroid is failing or not producing enough thyroxine, the symptoms can come and go til the thyroid cannot do anymore. So some days you won't feel cold and very very sleepy as others.
Confusion is experienced by both the thyroid failing and extremely high or low blood glucose levels.
Blurry vision is where your eyes are struggling to keep up with the changing bgs. These are mostly associated with high bgs mainly.
So how are things today? Any developments?