I can't stop eating .....

lindiloo62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone any suggestions ... I am fine breakfast and lunch but after my dinner I can't stop grazing ... how on earth do I get some control ...

Reactions: JacquiMorrison

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Willpower? There's no other way to my knowledge.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been doing intermittent fasting at weekends - basically eating only once a day, but having plenty of fluids. I now find that it gives me much greater control over not needing to snack.

See some of the videos by Jason Fung on his work on treating diabetes which uses diet and fasting.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone any suggestions ... I am fine breakfast and lunch but after my dinner I can't stop grazing ... how on earth do I get some control ...

What are you having for your evening meal? Once we know that, we may have some suggestions.

Reactions: lindiloo62

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @lindiloo62 . I sometimes find that if I have a big meal it seems to make me feel hungrier a few hours later.
It's as if it activates something inside that says more more more. Obviously I don't know your diet but could you try eating a smaller meal at dinner to see if it makes a difference. Also drink some water at dinner time that may help.
Sorry I can't really offer much more but I do know it's not easy at times.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What sort of hunger is it?

Distracted nibbling?
Still peckish?
Craving carbs?
Craving specific foods?
Habitual snacking?

I find that eating a good, satisfying evening meal lets me forget about food til morning. But that means enough protein, enough fat, and few enough carbs that they don't trigger cravings.

I've always found relying on willpower has a very shorterm success rate.

dipsydo

Unfortunately no one sells will power .. if they did they would be very wealthy.!

Are you eating a low carb diet? If so you might need to increase the fat content so you feel more satisfied so for example 5 olives might stop you grazing ( or my favourite real pork scrathings which I think should only be an occasional treat ). As noted by therower drinking water can help but needs to at least a large glassful .

To break the habit it might be worth doing is writing down what you are eating , indeed if you write it down before you eat you might help stop you actually eating the snack .Do you drink diet drinks as I find for me that they seem to make me feel hungrier than normal if so might be a good idea to try and give them up.
Good luck

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
In the past I've had some terrible carb cravings.
I've usually feasted on well cooked veg til full. It worked. However lately keeping my bgs in the low to ok level I'm never hungry.
I think on strict lchf I ate too much protein which caused hunger. Filled by snacks of nuts, cheese and mackerel. Hence no weight loss.
Now on 3 meals and 3 injections and good fbgs the cravings and weight gain seems to have disappeared.
Leptin is responsible for satiety and to keep those levels 'normal' no snacking and 3 small meals are the answer. There are some excellent books about it. Leptin levels are easily knocked off course. Drinking water is another tool to keeping satiety healthy.

Reactions: lindiloo62

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have exactly the same problem, late night snacking is the bane of my life. I am a severely overweight pre-diabetic. At the moment I am struggling with 5:2, gave up on the blood sugar diet as I couldn't keep away from the food enough.
About the only thing that helps is going to bed early. If I am not in the kitchen, I can't nibble!
Having "only healthy snacks" available was useless, it just gave me an excuse to eat them. I gave up cooking low-carb biscuits etc after I realised that.
I have learnt that a brisk walk after supper does wonders for my blood sugar, which helps a great deal with snacking. There seems to be a nasty sort of vicious circle there: too many carbs, high blood sugar, lethargy/brain fog, snacking...and round again.

My only suggestion would be to keep a notebook - food, carbs, appetite, blood sugar results - and see if you can spot any trends. I found it very very tedious, but it did help me see the "circle" above. I can't always break out of it at the time, but at least I understand why it happens!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If you checked your bgs they will be creeping upwards as the day progresses, hence carb cravings due to higher bgs. Keep them low to avoid the evening urge to gorge!
I'm fortunate that I can use insulin injections to do that. It is keeping my weight down too.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @lindiloo62
A 500ml bottle of Highland Spring carbonated spring water (no sugar, no flavours) after I have done my evening post-meal test works for me. I get mine from Poundworld - 4 for £1

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Drink plenty of water too. Your body may be thirsty but confusing food need with water need. Avoiding carbs in breakfast and lunch will kerb the carb cravings. Don't overcompensate with protein as too much can make you hungry too.

Reactions: lorraine95

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Eating carbs makes you hungry since it will spike your blood sugars and cause more insulin to be produced, and insulin is a hunger hormone. Hence being hungry two hours later after eating chinese take out. Eating fat makes you satiated. But both high fat and high carb will make it so no matter what your willpower, you are fighting a war with a 5th column sabotaging your progress. Carbs are the enemy. Reduce those and win. It's often repeated here because it's true.

Nicola54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Lindiloo,
I have had the same feelings as you, just because you are home sitting around, near food - I think. I have found that if you keep busy, distract yourself and take the focus away from food it helps. Take up a hobby or craft of some sort that you enjoy - or read a book - or play board games. Restore a piece of furniture even! I have taken up embroidery and pick it up as soon as the meal is all cleaned up - I really look forward to it and the evening cravings have completely disappeared. I never even think about it now. I think having a strategy of some sort will help you rather than just trying to rely on willpower - that just makes it hard! Good Luck! Hope it helps.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
In Italy and other countries it's customary for the entire family to go for a long walk after dinner. People rarely do that these days.