I don't understand the high levels

paula121s

Hi,

I am relatively new to all this. I have found the info here invaluable. I have read all about diabetes etc on here and elsewhere and I am on the 5.2 diet along with reducing carbs. I am also restricting calories to around 1500 on the none fasting days. My carb intake is averaging between 50 & 70g a day. Prior to my evening meal my big was 6.6, I had a dinner of 501 calories and 35g carbs. 2 hours later it had shot up to 12.2 then bedtime it's down to 8.2. Can anyone explain why this happens? Today was not a fasting day.

Thank you.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My thoughts would be, 35g for one meal is quite a lot. I allow myself that per day. I'm now a lot better controlled when I first started, but an inadvertent intake of something very carby can lead to a big spike. If I did 35 g in one meal then I would expect to see a big increase too.

paula121s

My thoughts would be, 35g for one meal is quite a lot. I allow myself that per day. I'm now a lot better controlled when I first started, but an inadvertent intake of something very carby can lead to a big spike. If I did 35 g in one meal then I would expect to see a big increase too.
Thank you Cherry, I was told by the dn to aim for 40g or under per meal, on here it says to start at 100g or lower a day. I have been getting on reasonably well but it looks like I'm going to cut carbs to under 50g a day. I really need to get on top of this. Do you ever get to the point when it doesn't rule your life? I have even thought about taking scales out with me !!

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @paula121s I was diagnosed in May 16 and have stuck to under 30g Carbs per day since July 16, my levels are now in the normal range. My reading tonight was 4.1 before going to bed, it really is worth keeping your carb levels to a minimum.

Last edited:

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you just need to keep testing before and after meals until you find what works for you. When I was first diagnosed I tested before and after every meal and logged everything I ate along with my readings. I could then work out what my body could, tolerate.

My HbA1C on diagnosis last year was 97, it's now 37. I certainly can't tolerate 35gms of carbs in one meal. I aim at a maximum per meal of 15. I can eat more carbs in the evening than in the morning but still have to be careful. I don't test as much now because I know what works for me but I till test am and before bed, and sometimes before and after my evening meal if I'm eating something a bit different. I have never used meds but I think if I took them I might be able to get my readings down further but I choose not to take them and am happy with that decision.

I hope you start seeing a drop in your numbers but I suspect you need to drop your carb intake first

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It really doesn't matter what someone else does. Use your meter to tell you what works for you. If you spike that high it is too many carbs or it is a food you are sensitive to.

Reactions: paula121s

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What were the carbs in the meal? I find that certain carbs (wheat and other grains) tend to send my blood glucose up much higher that (for example) potatoes. You may find that there are certain foods that affect you more than others.

Having said that, an increase of over 5mmol/l after a meal is more than ideal. There's not much info in your profile about what type of diabetes you have, or your meds, so I can't comment on that, but I am assuming you are a type 2?

I would agree that the best thing to do is to keep eating to your meter, and just adjust carb g and portion sizes downwards til your blood glucose stays where you want it to be. If you are finding the way of eating too restrictive, then have a look online (and on dietdoctor.com) for recipes and substitutes. Cauli mash, low carb breads, cakes, etc. all make life MUCH more bearable! ;)

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had roast pork belly with small portion of rice and a slice of papaya for lunch. BG shot up from 4.5 mmol to 11 mmol 2hr post meal...with some headache...

Usually this same meal don't spike so much for me...maybe around 8-9 mmol...And it stays around 5-6 mmol without the rice/papaya...

Reactions: Kevin259

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I am relatively new to all this. I have found the info here invaluable. I have read all about diabetes etc on here and elsewhere and I am on the 5.2 diet along with reducing carbs. I am also restricting calories to around 1500 on the none fasting days. My carb intake is averaging between 50 & 70g a day. Prior to my evening meal my big was 6.6, I had a dinner of 501 calories and 35g carbs. 2 hours later it had shot up to 12.2 then bedtime it's down to 8.2. Can anyone explain why this happens? Today was not a fasting day.

Thank you.
In the early days of starting an LC diet, you will be rolling back on a long period of storing glucose and fat in your body, and these stores will be used by the body to try to maintain the high bgl levels you became used to, It takes a while for these stores to become depleted so that the average and fasting levels can drop to a new lower norm. You are fasting, which will help this process, but every meal you will be charging up the stores again like a rechargeable battey.

So it may be that you have to drop the carb levels below what you are using today so that these stores get used up and the diet proper will then kick in.

There are hidden things in modern food that can trip us up. Hidden sugars added to sauces and soups is one possibility, so things like Pasta Bake or stirfry sachets are deadly for me. Similarly, foods containing Monosodium Glutanate (MSG) spike me so choose gravy and shakes carefully. The fructose and sugar alcohols are often a problem area, so maltose, malitol, dextrose. dextrosol need to be cut out. Even fruit can be a minefield, especially ripe tropical fruits.

I am attaching a set of rules I developed at the start of my LCHF diet, and although not fully up to date, I still use them as a general guideline. It makes meal planning easier and allows variations and experiments. They work for me but you will need to make your own based on your own experience. Feel free to adopt mine as a starter, its not copyrighted!

Attachments

• Action Plan.pdf
    153.6 KB · Views: 143

paula121s

What were the carbs in the meal? I find that certain carbs (wheat and other grains) tend to send my blood glucose up much higher that (for example) potatoes. You may find that there are certain foods that affect you more than others.

Having said that, an increase of over 5mmol/l after a meal is more than ideal. There's not much info in your profile about what type of diabetes you have, or your meds, so I can't comment on that, but I am assuming you are a type 2?

I would agree that the best thing to do is to keep eating to your meter, and just adjust carb g and portion sizes downwards til your blood glucose stays where you want it to be. If you are finding the way of eating too restrictive, then have a look online (and on dietdoctor.com) for recipes and substitutes. Cauli mash, low carb breads, cakes, etc. all make life MUCH more bearable! ;)
I had 2 sausages 100g mash potato and broccoli cauliflower and carrots and gravy. I think it is the mashed potato. My big was still high this morning so I have had a very low carb brekki of 1.52 carbs! I'm going to start reducing the carbs to under 50g a day and see how that goes. I was feeling a bit low this morning, but reading lots of different posts I realise I am not the first nor the last and by saying sod it will only affect my health. Thank you for your post

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had 2 sausages 100g mash potato and broccoli cauliflower and carrots and gravy. I think it is the mashed potato

You may see good improvements without the potato, carrots and gravy :D

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The amount of carbs we have per meal or day does vary a lot when we say 'low-carb'. Some stay below 50gm per day which is great if you can do it. I aim for 150gm/day and did this even before insulin. It would be good to know what medication you are on and what your last HBa1C was etc. to put your carbs into context. You appear to be doing all the right things so carry on.

paula121s

Hi. The amount of carbs we have per meal or day does vary a lot when we say 'low-carb'. Some stay below 50gm per day which is great if you can do it. I aim for 150gm/day and did this even before insulin. It would be good to know what medication you are on and what your last HBa1C was etc. to put your carbs into context. You appear to be doing all the right things so carry on.
I was on metformin but i didn't get on with it and it made no difference to my big levels. I am currently trying to get on top of it all with changing my diet. They have been gradually going down but it is obviously going to be not quite as instant as I would like!!

dipsydo

It is all a bit of trial and error a once you work out what spikes you will be able to try and avoid as you will find everyone is different as regards how they react to food.

As regards weighing things I find a rule of thumb works for me ( and avoids me getting out the scales) is no grains, rice, pasta, unlimited above ground vegetables ( some people find peas a bit difficult) one portion of protein ( say equivalent of chicken breast size of meat,or chunk of cheese ( max double thumb size), or couple of eggs ( if you vegetarian there are details on the forum which gives you the vegetarian options ) for cooking/ sauces olive, butter, cream , mayonnaise and never no or low fat options . Fruit only berries. For snacks olives, pork crackling, very small piece of cheese or handful nuts.If you are chocoholic 2 squares of very dark chocolate 85% or above
I try and ensure drinking couple of litres a day , no milk.I find that diet drinks make me crave sugar so avoid

Hope this helps

Reactions: paula121s