I found out my HbA1c

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have posted before about the fact that my Dr told me I was diabetic and has left me for a month before I see the diabetic nurse. I thought the Dr told me my fasting blood was 13 but she didn't mention HbA1c and I didn't know enough to ask what it was.
I went along this afternoon and saw the Dr's receptionist and asked if I could have a copy of my blood test results - She said no! I explained that I had already seen the Dr but wanted confirmation of what she had said. The receptionist said she isn't allowed to print out results unless it's for a consultant (money saving, she said) but she would tell me.
I gave her my details and she obviously didn't know what she was looking at, because she said "I'll print them, but don't tell anyone! You won't understand them though!" ha ha!
My FBG was actually 13.1 and my HbA1c was 129. I see the diabetic nurse two weeks today. Do you think she will try and give me metformin?
I have been following the LCHF diet (lost 5lbs last week) and feeling great. I got my Tee2 monitor today and I think I will be up at the crack of doom tomorrow to find out what my FBG is - see I know the lingo already! :)

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed T2 my Blood Glucose was 13.1 and the HbA1C was 99. I was given Metformin 2x500. A month later I saw a diabetes nurse and she gave me a glucose meter and the first reading was 9.8. I did see a steady drop in my fasting blood sugar over the next few weeks as I cut out carbs and adopted the LCHF diet.

On my second blood test my HbA1C had dropped to 59 and the diabetes nurse was amazed. I explained it was because of the LCHF diet. I think most diabetes patients are not told to cut out carbs and consequently don't see a big drop in their blood sugar levels.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had such good results for my second blood test - if you can get your changes in BG levels before and 2 hours after meals to be under two whole numbers different - which was what I was aiming for, then you should see all your numbers going down. I did have to struggle a bit at a couple of times, but the results I got were worth ten times the effort it took to keep on with the changes. The lower intake of carbs reduced my BG levels each week - the meters usually have an averaging function so you can see how they change week by week. I saw a smooth decrease for several weeks, and then they started to jump about - going lower than I had seen before. I think that was alterations in my insulin resistance - I just kept on in the same way and hope things will sort themselves out in time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for getting those results.

Might be worth applying for online patient access, so that next time you won't need to jump through hoops. :)

I think with an HbA1c you may well be offered medication. Lots of people ask for a bit of time to see if they can get things under control with diet and exercise, so you can suggest that as an alternative, but do take the advice of your diabetic nurse. And even if they put you on meds now, quite a few people posting on here manage to reduce their meds over time, and sometimes stop them completely, so don't automatically assume that you will be on them for life. :)

Reactions: Buttons11

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I have posted before about the fact that my Dr told me I was diabetic and has left me for a month before I see the diabetic nurse. I thought the Dr told me my fasting blood was 13 but she didn't mention HbA1c and I didn't know enough to ask what it was.
I went along this afternoon and saw the Dr's receptionist and asked if I could have a copy of my blood test results - She said no! I explained that I had already seen the Dr but wanted confirmation of what she had said. The receptionist said she isn't allowed to print out results unless it's for a consultant (money saving, she said) but she would tell me.
I gave her my details and she obviously didn't know what she was looking at, because she said "I'll print them, but don't tell anyone! You won't understand them though!" ha ha!
My FBG was actually 13.1 and my HbA1c was 129. I see the diabetic nurse two weeks today. Do you think she will try and give me metformin?
I have been following the LCHF diet (lost 5lbs last week) and feeling great. I got my Tee2 monitor today and I think I will be up at the crack of doom tomorrow to find out what my FBG is - see I know the lingo already! :)
Mine was 102 at diagnosis. I was given Metformin and Gliclizade - had to stop the Metformin as my stomach couldn't tolerate it. Did okay on gliclizade - this is designed to increase insulin production and does bring your BS level down pretty quickly. I've lost 3 stone doing low carb/Atkins and been able to come off it altogether.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @BUTTONS 11 .. it's a bit like plaiting fog isn't it? .. but keep going with your LCHF and your positive attitude

You can register to view your med records on-line if you wish. There are a couple of websites .. i-Patient and Patient Access. Your surgery has to be (should be) registered and you will need to ask them for a registration form for yourself to create an account profile (free) and log in via either of the websites. Check with reception at your surgery .. they should have the forms and show you what to do ..
Hope this helps

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, you will be offered some medication - almost certainly Metformin. I have online surgery access and it's great to be able to see my test results

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

well yes they probably suggest you to take metformin... I take it , but stille hope to get lower in average so one day I can keep low enough blood glucose in the mornings to not need metformin... but I don´t think it is worth to be maybe in the 6.5-7.0mmol level daily when I can be in the 5.5 area most of the time on metformin which is still like 1 mmol from the ideal blood glucose between meals which is around 4.5 mmol according to Bernstein :

Last edited:
Reactions: Clivethedrive

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I already have patient access but there's no where I can see on there to find my test results. I can order repeat prescriptions, but my surgery has even disabled the option to make an appt on line.

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I already have patient access but there's no where I can see on there to find my test results. I can order repeat prescriptions, but my surgery has even disabled the option to make an appt on line.

You have to register separately for test results, fill in another form and provide more ID. Your receptionist should have the details so you need to get back to the surgery and enquire.

I imagine your nurse will prescribe Metformin for you with such a high HbA1c. Normally anything above 53 is considered enough for Metformin, but you could ask for 3 months trial on diet only if you wish, but that means fully committing yourself to a low carb diet and constant testing. Having said that, you will still have to commit and test even with Metformin as it isn't a miracle cure and doesn't help a great deal. I don't know if you are overweight or not, but if you are Metformin may help suppress your appetite and help you lose weight.

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I'll ask about that next time. Happily when I was weighed at the time of the blood test I had lost 10lbs since last time and my BMI is now in the normal range.
If they give me metformin will I qualify for free prescriptions? Or is that just insulin dependent diabetics? Just curious.