I have 13.7mmol glucose reading

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the first time I have used a codefree glucose reading, I have used it after lunch, it only came in the post an hour ago, so I had no earlier reading, anyway its 13.7mmo/l, from what I can gather that is pretty high, so how do I get it "down" I have not seen a diabetic nurse or been given any information only just diagnosed, so how do I reduce this reading and most importantly of all, how serious is this reading?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is the first time I have used a codefree glucose reading, I have used it after lunch, it only came in the post an hour ago, so I had no earlier reading, anyway its 13.7mmo/l, from what I can gather that is pretty high, so how do I get it "down" I have not seen a diabetic nurse or been given any information only just diagnosed, so how do I reduce this reading and most importantly of all, how serious is this reading?

It's quite high. I aim for below 6/7 two hours after the start of a meal. What did you eat for lunch and has metformin been mentioned?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't let this worry you. How long after starting lunch did you take the reading?

It is high, but it doesn't mean a lot because you don't know what you were to start with, and it all depends on what you had to eat.

Start a food diary and keep testing before you eat and 2 hours after starting. Things will fall into place.

Reactions: dbr10

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's quite high. I aim for below 6/7 two hours after the start of a meal. What did you eat for lunch and has metformin been mentioned?

I had a couple of "stonking" sandwiches wholegrain bread and some meat and i had that MORE than 2 hours ago, it was more a mid morning snack, really thick bread and butter, and tablets have been mentioned by the nurse (not sure what type I will get, but have not been supplied yet. well at least I know my codefree is working!!!! Off to cry now, I think I believed it was a mistake, as the Hba1c has not been "done" yet and still thinking its just a wee "blimp" and my Hbc1c will come back fine,this was a similar reading I got when they did my PSA blood test, I think they did a basic diabetic test at the same time,

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a couple of "stonking" sandwiches wholegrain bread and some meat and i had that MORE than 2 hours ago, it was more a mid morning snack, really thick bread and butter, and tablets have been mentioned by the nurse (not sure what type I will get, but have not been supplied yet. well at least I know my codefree is working!!!! Off to cry now, I think I believed it was a mistake, as the Hba1c has not been "done" yet and still thinking its just a wee "blimp" and my Hbc1c will come back fine,this was a similar reading I got when they did my PSA blood test, I think they did a basic diabetic test at the same time,

You have just answered your own question as to why you were so high. THE BREAD. Even one small slice of thin bread will raise levels to some degree, but a stonking thick bread sandwich is asking for trouble, I'm afraid. I doubt the meter reading was the mistake. The bread was though! We live and learn.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Seeing as you've only just started testing, thought I'd mention that it's generally a good idea to wash your hands before testing. Because the amount of blood in the sample is so small, if there's a trace of sugar on your skin, it can throw the reading out.

You're not going to suddenly keel over and die with a reading like that so don't go calling any ambulances over it - it's not an acute emergency. High sugars cause damage over time when they are high for extended periods - so the long term objective is to figure out a game plan for you in terms of diet and medication which keeps you in normal range as much as possible.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Agree, it was almost certainly the bread. There is no difference in white, wholemeal etc breads, they are all carbs. There are some low carb bread options but as a general rule avoid all bread, pasta, rice, potatoes or anything made with white flour. You will be able to find out how different foods spike your bg readings with the meter so test regularly and keep a food diary so you can keep a note on what is good for your personal blood glucose levels. You are now on a learning curve, as time goes on you will start to recognise immediately the foods which spike you and it will become easier to avoid those.

There are Protein rolls that some members swear by as an alternative bread, sold by Lidl. I havn't tried them yet so couldn't say what they are like but they are worth a try.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are Protein rolls that some members swear by as an alternative bread, sold by Lidl. I havn't tried them yet so couldn't say what they are like but they are worth a try.

Definitely worth a try if you have a Lidl near you. They are sold in the fresh bread baskets, are dark brown and triangular, covered with seeds. 29p per roll and under 10% carbs. Half a roll toasted with butter is very filling and very delicious. There are other low carb breads in some supermarkets. Burgen is one and Livelife is another.

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
:brb::***:I know this is slightly "off topic" but I just want to say that I used a Lancet for the first time and the stress of using the lancet was more painful that actually using the lancet, I did not feel a thing and that was originally of of my "bug bears" feel a bit of a fool now,

Reactions: ziggy_w and Guzzler

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
:brb::***:I know this is slightly "off topic" but I just want to say that I used a Lancet for the first time and the stress of using the lancet was more painful that actually using the lancet, I did not feel a thing and that was originally of of my "bug bears" feel a bit of a fool now,

It is your thread, you can go off topic as often as you like! You are in charge. :)

No need to feel a fool. You should have heard my husband yell the first time I tested him .... his yell was well before the lancet touched his finger. :arghh:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

the metformin tablet that you´ll probably get are helping a bit, but are really only a stick to lean at helping like I would say around 10% , most of the job one must do by lowering the grams of carbs one do eat in a day, most can get normal non-diabetic levels when going under 100 grams of carbs in a day if not then go further low like under 50 grams ..

the most easy way is to eat a breakfast totally without carbs , like cheese and ham, bacon an eggs, avocado with salat, omelet with muschrooms or other almost non-carb foods

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the metformin tablet that you´ll probably get are helping a bit, but are really only a stick to lean at helping like I would say around 10% , most of the job one must do by lowering the grams of carbs one do eat in a day, most can get normal non-diabetic levels when going under 100 grams of carbs in a day if not then go further low like under 50 grams ..

the most easy way is to eat a breakfast totally without carbs , like cheese and ham, bacon an eggs, avocado with salat, omelet with muschrooms or other almost non-carb foods

This is the first time someone has given me dieting advice that I can both understand and follow, what a good idea with the 100gs of carbohydrates (as a maximum) non carbo for breakfast and then "keep an eye" open during the rest of the day, I never knew how many carbos I could have I assumed it had had to be very minimum ie 20 or 30, at least I have a starting plan to follow......

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the first time someone has given me dieting advice that I can both understand and follow, what a good idea with the 100gs of carbohydrates (as a maximum) non carbo for breakfast and then "keep an eye" open during the rest of the day, I never knew how many carbos I could have I assumed it had had to be very minimum ie 20 or 30, at least I have a starting plan to follow......

We each have different tolerance levels as to the amount of carbs we can eat per meal and per day. Your meter will help you with this. You can start at 100g daily maximum (preferably zero at breakfast) and then if things don't improve by enough, drop them gradually until things do improve. If you have problems, just post questions. We are all here to help.

With your meter, look at the rise from before to after and definitely keep this under 2mmol/l. More than that you need to change the meal and/or the portion sizes. Less than 2mmol/ is better. Write all the levels down in your food diary and look back to see which foods are worse for you. The main carbs to watch are bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, breakfast cereals and anything made with flour, plus fruit.

Let us know how you go on.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wholegrain bread seems to be the culprit. I don't eat bread at all.

Baldbilluk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Potato vs Sweede Vs Parsnips - this is very very very "off kilter" but here goes, When I go for a meal to someone's home can we use turnip or parsnips instead of potatoes also can they be cooked in the same salted water, its just that my mum still makes sunday dinners for the family and want to make her life easier, so can these be used or what else could replace potatoes?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't let the NHS tell you there is no special diet for diabetes. You must avoid all refined carbohydrates as a minimum.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You must avoid all refined carbohydrates as a minimum.
Not quite true though is it?

Please let the OP make his/her decisions regarding diet. The majority of posts so far have been positive constructive guidance and decent suggestions/advice. Telling someone they CANNOT eat refined carbs is nonsense. We can eat what we like, providing a bit of savvy is applied.

It may be beneficial for the OP to avoid regular, large quantities of refined carbs - but it's not imperative that they are excluded entirely - of course, unless they want to.

Reactions: eventhorizon

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish

Mashed swede with grated cheese or cream cheese is excellent.

Reactions: Alison Campbell