1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, would you like to BETA test the Low Carb Program app and help improve it? Register your interest »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I have pre diabetes will I have to notify dvla

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by Dazzy1, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Dazzy1

Dazzy1 Prediabetes · Member

I have pre diabetes will I have to notify dvla
    Thank you

2. pavlosn

pavlosn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't believe so.

I believe only those diabetics on insulin or other drugs that increase insulin production by the pancreas have to do so, the reason being that they are at risk of suffering hypoglycemia, i. E. Low blood sure that would make them potentially a danger on the road.

As pre-diabetics should not be on such medication and are not at risk of hypos, it does not make sense for them to have to notify the DVLA.

But I am not the UK and I am basing my response on what I have been reading on this forum. Perhaps a UK member can confirm this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dazzy1

I thought that myself but they did start me on metformin .

4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

No. There is no need whatsoever to tell the DVLA. Only diabetics on certain drugs (not Metformin)

5. Dazzy1

That's good news. Thank you very much

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. pavlosn

pavlosn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Metformin does not induce additional insulin production. It works by limiting glucose production by the liver and improving the body's ability to utilize existing insulin, consequently it has a very low risk of causing hypos. Hence my belief that you are under no obligation to declare if that is the only medication you are on and as a pre diabetic you would be extremely unlikely to be prescribed other diabetes medication or insulin

7. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’m Type 2 on Metformin and I checked, I didn’t have to. So no medication and just prediabetic definitely won’t need to. I did have to tell my insurer though, but no rise in premium was applied, not sure if a prediabetic should inform them too.

8. BrianTheElder

BrianTheElder Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have thought so for prediabetics, or 50% of the population would be involved,

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

I'm not even sure pre-diabetes is a disease. It is a warning there is a risk of diabetes, not a disease in itself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. copepod

copepod Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Can I suggest that you look at DVLA website and see if pre-diabetes is mentioned in current pages? Rather than asking willing, but perhaps misinformed, people.

11. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was informed, by looking at the DVLA website, maybe I didn’t make myself clear in my post. Here’s the link to the document I read so that the OP can read it for themselves:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ed-by-non-insulin-medication-diet-or-both.pdf

• Like Like x 2
  12. Dazzy1

Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook