I need your help

kyzie1992

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi guys I hope everyone is well.
My name is Kiya, I'm 24 and I've been a carer for my mum who has type 1 diabetes for roughly 14 years. I am currently in the process of starting my own business with the princes trust and I need some help. My plan is to become a street food vendor that caters to diabetic diets. We found over the years that sometimes it's hard for my mum to eat out and stay in control of her sugars effectively because there isn't enough information available on exactly what she's eating. My goal is to provide tasty home cooked food and provide information on how it will affect a persons diabetes predominantly using the carb counting method. I strongly believe that diabetic people should be able to lead as normal a life as possible and I want to take some of the stress away so they can carry on enjoying themselves whilst educating people on good management/prevention too. Diabetic education is something I feel strongly about because I have seen first hand the effects of poor management and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Anyway, enough of the rambling. I'm here to ask you kindly if you could spare me 5 minutes of your time to complete a couple of surveys (no more than 10 quick questions each) this will aid me in my business venture and providing diabetic people with the things they want to see and need. My main focus is on you guys so I really need to know what you want so I can get it right. Type 1 and type 2. I would be extremely grateful if you could complete the following -

This part of the survey is for diabetic people only, once you have completed section A, could you please complete section B too

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PMN66XC

If you are not diabetic could you please complete this survey. And if you are diabetic could you complete this one after you've completed the first one.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/67DH9FW

My business won't just cater to diabetic people as I want to help in prevention of type 2 and get people talking about a healthier diet. So if you know anyone, diabetic or not who could help with my research I would be grateful for you to pass this on to them.

Thank you so much in advance and I can't wait to read the responses. I hope to make you guys living with diabetes lives easier and get more people talking about the importance of diabetes.

Take care of yourselves
Regards
Kiya :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Has this been approved by admin ?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If admin sanction this I will tag some type2s. :)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Hi guys I hope everyone is well.
My name is Kiya, I'm 24 and I've been a carer for my mum who has type 1 diabetes for roughly 14 years. I am currently in the process of starting my own business with the princes trust and I need some help. My plan is to become a street food vendor that caters to diabetic diets. We found over the years that sometimes it's hard for my mum to eat out and stay in control of her sugars effectively because there isn't enough information available on exactly what she's eating. My goal is to provide tasty home cooked food and provide information on how it will affect a persons diabetes predominantly using the carb counting method. I strongly believe that diabetic people should be able to lead as normal a life as possible and I want to take some of the stress away so they can carry on enjoying themselves whilst educating people on good management/prevention too. Diabetic education is something I feel strongly about because I have seen first hand the effects of poor management and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Anyway, enough of the rambling. I'm here to ask you kindly if you could spare me 5 minutes of your time to complete a couple of surveys (no more than 10 quick questions each) this will aid me in my business venture and providing diabetic people with the things they want to see and need. My main focus is on you guys so I really need to know what you want so I can get it right. Type 1 and type 2. I would be extremely grateful if you could complete the following -

This part of the survey is for diabetic people only, once you have completed section A, could you please complete section B too

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PMN66XC

If you are not diabetic could you please complete this survey. And if you are diabetic could you complete this one after you've completed the first one.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/67DH9FW

My business won't just cater to diabetic people as I want to help in prevention of type 2 and get people talking about a healthier diet. So if you know anyone, diabetic or not who could help with my research I would be grateful for you to pass this on to them.

Thank you so much in advance and I can't wait to read the responses. I hope to make you guys living with diabetes lives easier and get more people talking about the importance of diabetes.

Take care of yourselves
Regards
Kiya :)

Done:)

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Done.

Just a word of information, @kyzie1992

MANY of us have been warned off eating foods labelled as 'Diabetic Food' by our healthcare teams.
And MANY diabetics follow the Eatwell Plate (on the advice of their healthcare teams).

So you may find a lot of suspicion if you start promoting Low Carb as Diabetic Friendly (because of the prevaling low fat high carb advice), and because Diabetic food is often stuffed with polyols, artificial nonsense and suchlike...

Tricky situation, eh?

In your place I think I might go with promoting the 'homecooked', 'wholesome'. 'no artificial' side of things.
And offer carb content figures while promoting the healthy fat content too.

You may get enthusiastic takeup from non diabetics, plus interest from diabetics who are aware of the new evidence on fats and carbs...

Although, of course, I don't actually know what sort of food you intend to produce. :) I suppose I am wondering if you aim your food exclusively at the T1 market, you may not get enough trade, so it has to have a broader appeal.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 4 people

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Done.

Just a word of information, @kyzie1992

MANY of us have been warned off eating foods labelled as 'Diabetic Food' by our healthcare teams.
And MANY diabetics follow the Eatwell Plate (on the advice of their healthcare teams).

So you may find a lot of suspicion if you start promoting Low Carb as Diabetic Friendly (because of the prevaling low fat high carb advice), and because Diabetic food is often stuffed with polyols, artificial nonsense and suchlike...

Tricky situation, eh?

In your place I think I might go with promoting the 'homecooked', 'wholesome'. 'no artificial' side of things.
And offer carb content figures while promoting the healthy fat content too.

You may get enthusiastic takeup from non diabetics, plus interest from diabetics who are aware of the new evidence on fats and carbs...

Although, of course, I don't actually know what sort of food you intend to produce. :) I suppose I am wondering if you aim your food exclusively at the T1 market, you may not get enough trade, so it has to have a broader appeal.

Hope that helps!

That is an aspect that I didn't think about. I eat "lower carb", but it is mostly healthy fruits and vegetables, very little red meats (about 1x weekly), and healthy dairy (cheeses, yogurt, cream in my coffee), and some whole grains. Use poultry and seafoods for my proteins.

toffski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nice idea but actually, concentrating on "Diabetic food" might sounds like a good approach but a "Diabetic Friendly" menu would be much better. An approach (as I LOVE street food) would be to have dietary information displayed with each product. You know, number of carbs, protein, fat etc. And I guess for some, glycemic index (GI). This would be a huge benefit. Sometimes the hidden carbs in things like sauces can catch you out.

Street food for me is usually a case of guess-timation when it comes to carb counting and having some information to hand when ordering would help immensely.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Surveys completed.
This looks like a good idea to me, and some sensible research being done first. Good luck with it.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
That is an aspect that I didn't think about. I eat "lower carb", but it is mostly healthy fruits and vegetables, very little red meats (about 1x weekly), and healthy dairy (cheeses, yogurt, cream in my coffee), and some whole grains. Use poultry and seafoods for my proteins.
Sounds like my diet I eat all the foods you have just mentioned lost weight feel good. :)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Completed as requested good luck with it keep us all updated please.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If you actually sell food, please list their salt and carb contents. Most of us restrict carbs so want to know how many are in something and many of us have to worry about salt for heart health and to prevent edema

I just advocated at my local hospital to put carbs on their eat healthy nutrition information in their cafeteria
On my hospital visit 3 years ago Hastings hospital shop had no low carb options. I hope its changed. Proper canteen was much better.

kyzie1992

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
thank you all so so much for your feedback. it really is invaluable! my main focus is to include the carb content of each dish i serve so it takes this guesstimation work out of it for you guys, so im really happy to hear that you think it would be of benefit for me to do this. and also, yes i agree other nutritional information will be available. the main foods i will be providing will be low carb, but there will also be some high carb options available as i know type one people may need a pick up if their sugars are low. i also had comments about the carbs not being integrated into the meal and instead being an add on feature. basically whatever your relationship with carbs (or any other food type to be honest), i aim to make the information available for you to make an informed decision when choosing what to eat. i also take on board that i should advertise as 'diabetic friendly' because i want non diabetic and diabetic people alike to choose me to buy food from. i want to make it clear that i serve different amounts of carb content and provide the nutritional information that may be needed but i also want it to be clear that the food i serve is 'wholesome' and 'homecooked' - foods that people want to see from a street vendor and they regularly enjoy, just with a twist and you dont realise is 'good for you'.

i appreciate every single piece of feedback and advice and i welcome as much as possible. all of this information is going to be so beneficial in moving forward with my business and hopefully i can create something thats successful and spreads the message of diabetes and how proper management - even prevention can mean better quality of life all round. :)

Reactions: 6 people