I sort of snapped yesterday...

NatJS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I've been incredibly consistent on the low carb diet for over a month now (having had a couple of months previously of wavering a bit) but yesterday I snapped completely and ate a lot of everything I definitely cannot eat - chips, 4 krispy kreme doughnuts, a fishcake, almond croissant, chocolates, fizzy drink, more chips and a kebab. I don't know what got into me - it was very weird. It was just a blip but it was to say the least, bizarre, how I seemed to completely lose self control. Anyway, today is a new day and so far I'm back to normal.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
its the vicious circle of carb cravings - the more you eat the more you want and if you haven't got an iron will power it can be the road to ruin - but put it behind you it's happened and you are back on track today so well done :)

Reactions: Prem51

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It happens... Like you say, today is a new day!

I had a bit of a different kind of blip in that I ate way more than I usually do as well as later in the evening than usual. Too much dairy and protein and bloods were up, but I'm also treating today as a new day so you've company there.

Bank Holidays can have a bad effect on me and I was mega tired yesterday for various reasons.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It proves you are human!

:)

Soooo... what pre-emptive measures do you have in place for when/if the carb cravings strike today? :)
They usually get me about 24 hours after I ate the carbs, so I predict that around the same time today that you ate the kebab yesterday, you will start to get the munchies...

If that is the case, I would make sure you have a nice, filling, satisfying low carb something (big dinner? mug cake? bowl of berries and cream? favourite snack? low carb hot chocolate?) ready and waiting, to knock the sneaky little yearnings on the head.

:D

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hooray! Someone else is human. So you fell off the strict diet but you have got back up again and having indulged you can perhaps anticipate and avoid the triggers or at least be aware of what is likely to happen.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, definitely human. Well done for confessing on here, that's the big step to getting back on the wagon.
Most of us have done it at one time or another.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been incredibly consistent on the low carb diet for over a month now (having had a couple of months previously of wavering a bit) but yesterday I snapped completely and ate a lot of everything I definitely cannot eat - chips, 4 krispy kreme doughnuts, a fishcake, almond croissant, chocolates, fizzy drink, more chips and a kebab. I don't know what got into me - it was very weird. It was just a blip but it was to say the least, bizarre, how I seemed to completely lose self control. Anyway, today is a new day and so far I'm back to normal.
I have has blips - we are only human. Forgive move on to a new day

Reactions: Prem51 and Serena51

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Like you, I have had a few days where I have slipped up. We are human.
I always admit when I have fallen off the wagon because I find it helpful to own up

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder - one of the things I take is a multivitamin and mineral tablet, not every day as I forget, but maybe four times a week. I have never had cravings or binges and I have been doing low carb as often as I could get away with it since the 1970s.
Dr Atkins advised it in his New Diet Revolution, and used specific minerals such as Chromium salts to treat carb cravings.

Reactions: Speedbird

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take a magnesium supplement and when I ran out I chanced not taking it - sure enough after a few days the problem that pushed me to take it came back. I felt I had no energy at all and craved chocolate biscuits etc for a boost. I dunno if being diabetic or using insulin causes some kind of deficiency? About 3 months after I was diagnosed type 1 and used insulin I started getting very jittery with a racing heart and palpitations. Google mentioned magnesium and I took it. Much better. Slightly off topic I know but thought I'd share

Reactions: Prem51 and Serena51

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Look on the bright side, fella: if you'd eaten any of those things with marmite, tuna or coal-dust on top, we'd all be diagnosing you as being pregnant!

Like the other posters have said, bit of a blip, which doesn't matter that much in the wider scheme of things.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably relieved a head of steam. You've admitted it, you know it didn't help but I bet it felt good.

When I was at work I fell in with some drinkers and lots of stories can be told and some of the daft things I did gave me feelings of guilt but it was forgotten the next day and everyone began anew.

So start over.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take a magnesium supplement and when I ran out I chanced not taking it - sure enough after a few days the problem that pushed me to take it came back. I felt I had no energy at all and craved chocolate biscuits etc for a boost. I dunno if being diabetic or using insulin causes some kind of deficiency? About 3 months after I was diagnosed type 1 and used insulin I started getting very jittery with a racing heart and palpitations. Google mentioned magnesium and I took it. Much better. Slightly off topic I know but thought I'd share

There are a number of nutrient deficiencies that are associated with diabetes. Magnesium is one. And interestingly, chocolate is a good source of magnesium. It's good that you're supplementing - (so long as you're not taking magnesium oxide which is poorly absorbed).

Since starting the low carb diet 2 years ago, I've taken 450 mg magnesium citrate a day - (150 mg with breakfast, 300 mg with dinner). During a recent visit to the emergency room for vertigo, my magnesium level was checked. I tested in the mid-range, so clearly, I'm not taking too much. Magnesium is required for hundreds of processes in the body, so it's a good one to supplement. :)

Reactions: Bon83 and Prem51

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Life is a learning process. Although I do not wish diabetes on anyone, I have learned exponentially about others psychology and my own since my diagnosis. Your revelation got me thinking about what my "wagon" is, it turns out mine is a lack of sleep. I am lucky in that I see most carbs as the enemy now which almost took me away from my family, so have no issue avoiding them.
I am going to match you and resolve my issue,I am going to put the laptop down and go to bed.

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done my bday was thus weekend and I said sod it yo diabetes what good is having 'control' when u can't push the barrier. That said the food I ate was pretty much eatwell from NHS so I didn't fall completely off the wagon and considering most don't even try to control their D I'd say the odd blip is fine just as long as ur numbers are in range. If you feel bad go for a walk

skiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, don't worry about it, I have been on LCHF diet for 38 weeks, out of all the things I ate previously, the only thing I missed was chips. I record everything I eat by carbs, protien, fat and fibre and calories. in 38 weeks my average daily Calories are 1191 and my average daily carbs 27. I have lost 3stone 9 pound in weight my blood glucose is down from 10 to low 5s and my HBA1C down from 55 (Very high) to 38 (Normal). Even so, once a month I close my book and have the biggest plate of chips I can manage, my Blood Glucose shoots up to 12 for a short period but soon comes down again, this last time which was actualy 5 weeks ago made me realise it is the TEXTURE of the chips I miss, not the taste. It keeps me satisfied for a month and it is actually getting that because I know I can have them (cos I said so) I am losing the need for them, like I said it has been 5 weeks since my last lot. My advice is to hold off as long as you can but have an indulgence now and then but not too often else all you are doing is wasting your time. Hope this helps. Those nutrition 'Experts' who said cooking potatoes then letting them go cold then reheating them makes the starch into digestable fibre are wrong. I tried it and my blood glucose level shot from low 5s to mid 12s. Statements are not facts until proven.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@skiggy I think you need to eat the potatoes cold, not reheated, but I haven't tested it. Potato salad anyone? :)

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
4 krispy kreme doughnuts and a kebab??? :nailbiting: Say ten "Hail Mary's" and you're forgiven.