I think I may be a type 2 diabetic but

is there anything I can do to help stop it

• Yes

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dave_the_bob_

Hi I think I may be a type 2 diabetic and all I have read about I'm basically just gunna die I'm only 20 and really scared. I am going away for 3 months I leave on Saturday if I go to the doctors tomorrow what could they do if I am type 2 dibetic before I leave

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. Type 2 diabetes is not a death sentence. Many of us can control it with diet alone. There are lots of different medications which can help too.
What makes you think you have diabetes ?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What reasons do you have for thinking you have T2? What symptoms do you have and have had any blood tests either at the surgery or local pharmacy. Note that T2 at age 20 would be unusual and more likely to be Late onset T1 if indeed you have diabetes at all. If you go to the GP and he/she orders a blood test you would need to fit that in before you go away and contact the surgery whilst away. Depending on where you are going you might want to arrange to follow-up locally whilst away. Note that all forms of diabetes are helped by keeping the carbs way down. Tablets can help. If T1, it can come on at different rates from weeks to years but will need medication. T2 can be kept at bay often for years by having a low carb diet and keeping weight down. Don't panic as diabetes of either type can be well controlled with insulin if needed and when well controlled, life expectancy can be normal with few if any complications. I speak as someone now on insulin and it's a nuisance rather than a problem. May be you don't have diabetes anyway!

Dave_the_bob_

Hi and welcome. Type 2 diabetes is not a death sentence. Many of us can control it with diet alone. There are lots of different medications which can help too.
What makes you think you have diabetes ?
Hi I can be quite thirsty at times and I got thrush and reading up on people say it's sign I have it

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I think I may be a type 2 diabetic and all I have read about I'm basically just gunna die I'm only 20 and really scared. I am going away for 3 months I leave on Saturday if I go to the doctors tomorrow what could they do if I am type 2 dibetic before I leave

welcome here Dave_the_bob_

there can be lots of reasons to get these symptoms you mention here obove...
if one is consequent in food choices it is actually easy to gain control.. and get normal blood glucose if you haven´t been diabetic for very long time and havent had much damage from that..

you just need to change what foods you eat and be more active like going for long walks or do fitness or even do some muscle work to get fit..

the foods you can eat a lot of is most vegetables like those grown over ground like tomatoes cucumbers avocadoes zuchinni salats olives and peppers and onions and garlic
and meat all kinds even bacon all kinds of fish but not with coating. almost all kinds of cheese and cottage cheese, nuts, fullfat yoghurt and cream and butter and coconuts

in smaller amounts you can eat berries all kinds, red wine like a glass a day , or spirit without added sugar only 1 drink a day

the foods you should avoid are bread, potatoes grains wheat, corns cornflakes watermelons mangoes and bananas chips all kinds of sweets except those without sugar, cakes and sugary drinks.

try to eat less than 100 grams of carbs a day.. if tat doesn´t get your blood glucose down then go even lower like 50 grams of carbs a day, most peole loose a lot of weight when they eat less than 30-50 grams of carbs a day .. so it is also a fine way to loose weight if one do need that..

seems young people become more aeasily diabetic if they don´t get enough sleep .. so learn to go to sleep early enough to be able to get enough sleep

Last edited:

Dave_the_bob_

Hi. What reasons do you have for thinking you have T2? What symptoms do you have and have had any blood tests either at the surgery or local pharmacy. Note that T2 at age 20 would be unusual and more likely to be Late onset T1 if indeed you have diabetes at all. If you go to the GP and he/she orders a blood test you would need to fit that in before you go away and contact the surgery whilst away. Depending on where you are going you might want to arrange to follow-up locally whilst away. Note that all forms of diabetes are helped by keeping the carbs way down. Tablets can help. If T1, it can come on at different rates from weeks to years but will need medication. T2 can be kept at bay often for years by having a low carb diet and keeping weight down. Don't panic as diabetes of either type can be well controlled with insulin if needed and when well controlled, life expectancy can be normal with few if any complications. I speak as someone now on insulin and it's a nuisance rather than a problem. May be you don't have diabetes anyway!
Hi I can be quite thirsty and I recently got thrush and can be a sign off it I am going to Africa so I don't think I can be sorted what would happen if the tests come back and sead I do have t2 would they be able to do something before I left I will be cutting all food out while I'm out there only eating fresh food as I no this my chance to kick start being healthy

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be a good idea to check if you are diabetic before going away.

If you suspect your blood sugar is high you may want to cut down on starch and sugar. If you are thirsty, drink water. Type 2 is fairly easy to manage.

Mark_1

Stop worrying. If you are diabetic then you can fix it and your not going to die because of it. There are around 4 million diabetics in the UK and there not all dead. Go the doctors get the facts and then come back to here with the details. What type are you, what where your test results etc. Basically you need to sort out your diet and general health but the exact advice will depend on what the doctor tells you.

Dave_the_bob_

It might be a good idea to check if you are diabetic before going away.

If you suspect your blood sugar is high you may want to cut down on starch and sugar. If you are thirsty, drink water. Type 2 is fairly easy to manage.
Hi what would happen if was diabetic do you gunk I can still go away

Dave_the_bob_

Stop worrying. If you are diabetic then you can fix it and your not going to die because of it. There are around 4 million diabetics in the UK and there not all dead. Go the doctors get the facts and then come back to here with the details. What type are you, what where your test results etc. Basically you need to sort out your diet and general health but the exact advice will depend on what the doctor tells you.
Is it something that can be fixed or managed will I be able to live a normal life and do the thjngs I enjoy doing what should I expect when I go the doctors that's what I'm scared off most

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stop worrying about diabetes and go and get ourself checked.
I think you worry about diabetes instead of the trip abroad.

Should it be the case you actually have diabetes and it is T2 it's easy to manage by diet.

Have you gained or lost weight in the last months?

Dave_the_bob_

Stop worrying about diabetes and go and get ourself checked.
I think you worry about diabetes instead of the trip abroad.

Should it be the case you actually have diabetes and it is T2 it's easy to manage by diet.

Have you gained or lost weight in the last months?
I've stayed the same really just been abit thirsty lately and needed the toilet abit more but did not think it was a problem I was at the sex clinic and sead I had thrush but she thinks it's from sleeping with a lass I don't have many off the sines

Mark_1

It's not something that means eating too many chips one Saturday night will result in instant death. Abusing yourself over the long term and relying solely on medications without looking after your general health will result in complications. I think of it that I'm a Ferrari and therefore I need the right fuel and servicing to work at my best. You may just not be able to get away with abusing your body the way some people can. I diagnosis can be a good thing. Get the facts and act accordingly.

Reactions: spaxman

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've stayed the same really just been abit thirsty lately and needed the toilet abit more but did not think it was a problem I was at the sex clinic and sead I had thrush but she thinks it's from sleeping with a lass I don't have many off the sines
Many pharmacies offer BG tests so I recommend you pop into one a get your BG checked, mainly in order to lay your mind at rest.

Dave_the_bob_

Hi guys thanks for the comments what is a good diet to start to Lower all the bad thing to reduce the risk off diabetes also what's good to cut out

SimonCrox

Totally agree with Totto; you want to get your blood glucose level checked; at 20, if you are diabetic, your fasting glucose level will be very useful; if at GP tomorrow, and they can get your blood test done and you can fast before, then that would be brilliant. They can probably do both a fingerprick test to give an instant answer, and an armful of blood to lab to give a very reliable measurment of your glucose level. I'd also take a urine specimen along so they can test that for glucose / ketones. If they cannot do the tests, then the pharmacists can probably do them, based on a fingerprick again.
Hopefully not diabetic, but if so, am sure that it can be managed; which country off to?
Best wishes

Dave_the_bob_

Totally agree with Totto; you want to get your blood glucose level checked; at 20, if you are diabetic, your fasting glucose level will be very useful; if at GP tomorrow, and they can get your blood test done and you can fast before, then that would be brilliant. They can probably do both a fingerprick test to give an instant answer, and an armful of blood to lab to give a very reliable measurment of your glucose level. I'd also take a urine specimen along so they can test that for glucose / ketones. If they cannot do the tests, then the pharmacists can probably do them, based on a fingerprick again.
Hopefully not diabetic, but if so, am sure that it can be managed; which country off to?
Best wishes
Hi I am off to Africa and I think this's will be the best time to get some real good food in me and lose a lot off weight as I can't access fast food out there

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am off to Africa and I think this's will be the best time to get some real good food in me and lose a lot off weight as I can't access fast food out there

All the more reason to check whether you have it or not. Stop it from spoiling your trip by managing and controlling it if you do, peace of mind during your time away if not.

Dave_the_bob_

All the more reason to check whether you have it or not. Stop it from spoiling your trip by managing and controlling it if you do, peace of mind during your time away if not.
Do you think the doctors can give me something before I leave I'm just really scared there gunna say we can help you you need to go to a hospital I'm really scared off them

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes or not, it's always good to cut out sweets, cakes and sugary beverages. Eat proper food, not snacks or sandwiches.
But get your BG tested.