I think I may have reversed my Type 2 diabetes !!!!!!

johnlfitz

Just a quick update to say my liver results are now normal (ALT of 51 and AST of 26) !!!

Delighted as I was worried a few weeks ago when ALT was 122 and AST was 56 !! :D :D :D

X-entricity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"she said that " you are and always will be diabetic, there is no cure" anybody have any thoughts, I was so disheartened."

I had exactly the same type of comments from my diabetic nurse. Then I went on a 1 day introduction course and spoke to the nurses there. They stated the opposite. Although you will always be prone to the diabetes, you can reverse it virtually out of existence. My Hb1Acs was 13, now 5.6 and still dropping. Dieting alone is not the answer. A complete change of lifestyle is need. I did that and actually prefer this regime to the old one.
Don't get disheartened. Just keep trying.

johnlfitz

X-entricity said:
"she said that " you are and always will be diabetic, there is no cure" anybody have any thoughts, I was so disheartened."

I had exactly the same type of comments from my diabetic nurse. Then I went on a 1 day introduction course and spoke to the nurses there. They stated the opposite. Although you will always be prone to the diabetes, you can reverse it virtually out of existence. My Hb1Acs was 13, now 5.6 and still dropping. Dieting alone is not the answer. A complete change of lifestyle is need. I did that and actually prefer this regime to the old one.

Couldn't agree more.

10 weeks ago I would never have been able to do 1 hour solid on a treadmill at 5.5km/h ..... last night I did.

It's about a permanent mindset change .... realising that I couldn't continue with just an OK diet and no exercise if I want to give myself a good future ....... hoping I'm "in time" to get myself into good shape ....

bonnynemia

johnlfitz said:
X-entricity said:

Couldn't agree more.

10 weeks ago I would never have been able to do 1 hour solid on a treadmill at 5.5km/h ..... last night I did.

It's about a permanent mindset change .... realising that I couldn't continue with just an OK diet and no exercise if I want to give myself a good future ....... hoping I'm "in time" to get myself into good shape ....

johnlfitz,

I wish to make it very clear that I am not an expert on anything. I am just a plain type 2 diabetic.

Early next month, it will be exactly my 22nd year as a type 2 exercising 4x/day, 30 minutes before each meal and before bedtime, and eating real foods (mostly carbohydrates) 3x/day (strictly no snacks, only water between meals). Not once have I tried any anti-diabetic pills or insulin. Because my diagnosis fasting blood sugar was very very high - 468 mg/dl - I was required in July 1991 to be on several anti-diabetes pills. I refused to take them.

Yes, I have been getting unacceptably high blood sugar levels 4x/day (fasting and 2-hour after-meal) which now total to more than 32000 (4 x 365 days x 22 years) since July 1991. Why don't I have any diabetes complications yet? I don't know. Your guess is as good as mine. What really is important to me is that I am healthy, strong, happy, feeling young, and living like I have no diabetes.

I am very sure that I will always be diabetic.

Why do I eat a lot of carbohydrates? Because to me they are nutritious, delicious, inexpensive, readily available, and the easiest foods to digest (my digestive system does not get to work harder than it should).

On the subject of test strips, I always buy the 100-strip package. They last me 1 year. I test only to find out if my daily exercise is still as effective as I expect it to be. I already know the bad effects of my high-carb meals on my blood sugar.

Bonny Damocles
Male, 77 1/2 years old, 139 lbs., 5'7"
Past A1c's: 5.2% - 6.3% (5.8% on 6March2013)

Concorde

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I have lost weight through going to the gym and weightwatchers and I have cut back a lot on my insulin intake. I am going to carry on so as to annoy Big Pharma.

A

Anonymous

bonnynemia said:
johnlfitz,

Congratulations on reversing your diabetes!!!

I love reading stories like yours. They confirm my strong belief that type 2 diabetes is not a progressive disease.

In my particular case, since my diagnosis in July 1991 (my diagnosis fasting blood sugar reading was 468 mg/dl so I was required to be on several anti-diabetes pills), I have been exercising as much and as hard as I can. The foods I have been eating are real (heart-healthy, natural, fresh [raw or cooked], unprocessed, and whole) which are mostly carbohydrates. So far so good. I have no diabetes complications yet, never have had any hypoglycemic problems, and have been enjoying life like I have no diabetes.

Bonny Damocles
Male, 77 1/2 years old, 139 lbs., 5'7"
Daily exercise is my only anti-type 2 diabetes med for 22 years
Past A1c's: 5.2% - 6.3%

This has been my experience, although I have only been diagnosed for 5 years. I am convinced (inexpicably) that there is an attitude/lifestyle aspect. I know that if I tested myself everyday (I sorted that out in the first month post-diagnosis) I would probably be permanently adjusting my diet to keep my meter happy. I always eat if I am hungry (usually 5 times a day) but it is ALWAYS proper food and never a biscuit, cake, or bar snack etc. I guess I am lucky in that an apple whilst walking the dog doesn't send my bG 'sky-high' as some people have experienced. In fact it avoids a hypo and I prefer an apple to a dextrose tablet. I also believe the apple has a higher nutritional value. If I go for a curry or chinkie I don't take a meter with me. I could hazard a reasonable guess as to what the meter might say. I have just had a 4 month gap in testing and before that my testing was occasional. Tomorrow, I have my annual 'bloods', urine test etc. (not just HbA1c), the results of which will leave nothing to the imagination. I will find out whether I have been overindulgent with my diet or lack any key nutrients along with organ function. If all turns out OK, then it's onward and upwards (or should it be downwards at my age) as they say.

Baloo330

Dear Administrator,

Before this is posted, please check the contents and that it is okay to post this
I feel any info, especially if it is for free, is good and gives hope - but do not want to break any rules

Thanks,
Baloo330
----------------

Cure for Diabetes Type 2

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV-mZkOT ... e=youtu.be
and get the free book "Diabetic Heroes" from www.ex-diabetics.com - http://1milx.com/
to get the book you need to be on Facebook to 'like' the website...
a bit long and repetitive, but worth it to get the free book - any info is good, especially if simple and gives hope

---------------

johnlfitz

OK, so I had a pizza for evening meal tonight. Not good I know (white pizza base = carbs).

Lo and behold .... blood glucose 9.2mmol after 1hour and a half.

So, onto treadmill for 45 mins ..... reading then was 4.2mmol.

Exercise seems to be the one reliable thing that always brings bg down.

Oh, and R-Lipoic Acid 3 x times a day is giving me loads of energy .... especially in the evenings now for some reason.

A

Anonymous

johnlfitz said:
OK, so I had a pizza for evening meal tonight. Not good I know (white pizza base = carbs).

Lo and behold .... blood glucose 9.2mmol after 1hour and a half.

So, onto treadmill for 45 mins ..... reading then was 4.2mmol.

Exercise seems to be the one reliable thing that always brings bg down.

Oh, and R-Lipoic Acid 3 x times a day is giving me loads of energy .... especially in the evenings now for some reason.

Forty five minutes on a treadmill after your evening meal seems a big price to pay. 45 mins on the sofa for me! :lol:

G

graj0

Hi Q007,

well done on managing to get your readings down. One of your doctors does sound like a bit of a dragon but clinically and technically she is right in that you can't reverse diabetes. That's not saying you can't keep your blood sugar reading at a sensible level. Part of the problem is that diabetes goes untreated for quite a while because it's rarely diagnosed straight away. In that time the pancreas has probably lost some of it's ability to produce insulin and the body has also lost it's sensitivity to insulin, so a double whammy. Losing weight is obviously the way to go and a sensible diet will improve matters considerably.
I have been type II since 1997 and have had a dreadful time with Metformin (the runs), Rosiglitazone (weight gain, 100lbs in my case, nicely aided by the tranquilizers prescribed because I was anxious about weight gain) and I now believe Gliclazide is also helping me to stay fat (helps the pancreas create more insulin, the fat storing hormone I've heard it called).
If you can stay off the meds, GREAT. You'll just have to watch diet and exercise. I've just started a low carb diet, nothing drastic, just bread, spuds, pasta, rice, against the recommendation of the hospital dietician and my previous GPs. My blood sugar dropped to 5.5 in 2 weeks. I use to exercise regularly until my back started hurting, along with the sciatica and arthritis in both knees, it's tricky, but at the time my HbA1c dropped from 9.5 to 5.5, it only rose to 7.5 when I stopped exercise.
Hopefully that shows that a lot can be achieved by diet and exercise.

G

graj0

Hi johnlfitz,

well done on losing weight, getting the numbers down and avoiding meds. I'm surprised at your GP's attitude, if you're trying to keep your blood sugar down, whether it's by diet, exercise, meds or a combination, you need to be able to measure your blood sugar. I wonder if your pharmacist will have any advise? I remember some years ago that I could only get certain test strips prescribed by my GP so had to choose a machine accordingly. Hope you get it sorted soon.

johnlfitz

graj0 said:
Hi johnlfitz,

well done on losing weight, getting the numbers down and avoiding meds. I'm surprised at your GP's attitude, if you're trying to keep your blood sugar down, whether it's by diet, exercise, meds or a combination, you need to be able to measure your blood sugar. I wonder if your pharmacist will have any advise? I remember some years ago that I could only get certain test strips prescribed by my GP so had to choose a machine accordingly. Hope you get it sorted soon.

I was surprised too ..... but they obviously are told they have to reduce costs (taking care of "the now") as opposed to giving people the test strips so that they can tackle it head on (benefits NHS long term surely as less complications ..... ? ).

I can imagine that they prescribe a lot of strips in the past that don't get used too much ...... but that doesn't help me.

I've switched from Accu-Chek Aviva monitor and strips to the SD Codefree meter (the strips are much cheaper on the Codefree). When I tested both machines at the same time using the same blood prick, they were 0.1 or 0.2 difference, so that was good enough for me to defect to the SD Codefree.

One thing I have noticed is that 3 x 200mg of R-Alpha Lipoic Acid brings blood glucose down by 1-1.5 mmol as a guess (hard to prove what my bg would have been if I don't take them).

donnydawn

Hiya johnlfitz

congrats on your excellent results!!!!

I have been type 2 from I was 35 (8 years now) and I had put on about five stone up until diaganosis.Ever since MY weight has been up and down and always had 1ac,s of 6 or below even though I still ate pretty much what I wanted.I was recently told that my 1ac had increased to 8 and was put on glilazade as well as metformin. The info I was given eight years ago has changed totally regarding the condition and I kept hearing about type two reversal of the condition.I saw a book while browsing on amazon
called how I managed to reverse my diabetes by Andrew owen who pretty much did what your doing. its worth a read.so I have started cutting down my carbs and after reading Patrick holfords the low GL diet bible I have noticed my sugars down at normal levels.I am hoping to be a lot leaner by December and shock my DR when I go for my six monthly check.Now I tend to eat natural foods no junk nothing processed and it is making a big difference. I wish you continued success on your journey.I now strongly believe that it is an awful lot to do with what we put in our bodies and excess weight does us no favours.wish me luck I hope I will be as successful as you.x

johnlfitz

Well ................. I had my 3 month HbA1c blood test a couple of days ago, and I've just phoned for my results (so that I can compare with what they were at my Type 2 diagnosis 3 months ago).

Here's my results so far:

22nd March 2013 - 55 mmol - or 7.2%
21st June 2013 - 31 mmol - or 5.0%

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

johnlfitz

Only thing I have (which started before I was diagnosed) is intermittent achy, heavy, tingly calves and some orange/brown pigmentation of my legs and feet. Started about 12-18 months ago (lightly) but gotten a bit worse during diagnosis and since.

How do I ascertain whether this is diabetes related? Docs (x 2) think not, but I'm not sure.

Could this be nerves regenerating themselves due to much lower blood sugar?

johnlfitz

Anyone get occasional sharp pains in each kidney area?

I'm been on Citalopram 20mg daily for last 9.5 weeks and occasional sharp stomach pains have happened since around then. Doc says he's not heard that as a side effect of Citalopram, and it starts my worrying whether it's the dreaded 'C' word (ending in 'ancer') ......