Type 2 I was put on metformin & victoza.

ladylove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with t2 diabetes in 1988. For the past 10 years I have been on humalog before each meal and lantus at bedtime. I also weighed 325 April of 2009. Its also when I decided enough was enough and started a weight loss journey. I have since lost down to 230. And I have been taken off insulin. I am on metformin & victoza. I am experiencing higher levels BG in am. This has been going on for about 2 weeks. This morning at 3:30 am I decided to check & see what it was ( I'm assuming I am having liver dumping) and it was 117 by the time I got up for the day ( 10 am) it was 148. What can I do to stop liver dumping?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with t2 diabetes in 1988. For the past 10 years I have been on humalog before each meal and lantus at bedtime. I also weighed 325 April of 2009. Its also when I decided enough was enough and started a weight loss journey. I have since lost down to 230. And I have been taken off insulin. I am on metformin & victoza. I am experiencing higher levels BG in am. This has been going on for about 2 weeks. This morning at 3:30 am I decided to check & see what it was ( I'm assuming I am having liver dumping) and it was 117 by the time I got up for the day ( 10 am) it was 148. What can I do to stop liver dumping?

I'm sure we have some folks on Victoza, but I can't for the life of me think of anyone specifically. Apologies.

My post will bump your question back into greater visibility. Hopefully someone will pop on at some stage.

Have you discussed this specific issue with your Doctor? Like most meds, there may be some tweaking available to help you out.

Fingers crossed for you, and very, very well done on that weight loss. That's a staggering amount. I'm sure you must feel the better of it.

ladylove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you! Yes, I feel so much better. I do go see doc on friday but just wanted to find out people that has experienced this too, what they suggest.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I am on metformin and victoza.
I was told victoza was a wonder drug and that I would lose loads of weight.
I did lose some in the first couple of weeks, but now I way a few pounds more

SimonCrox

Fantastic weight loss, and good to hear that you feel better for it.
Coming clean, I have prescribed a lot of victoza and metformin in my time.
The first thing anyone would do is to look at your progress and say how good it is, but as you say, can we do better?
There would be several different approaches:-
1: You are doing well - wait and see; but you have stated that this problem with the higher glucose levels has only been a problem for two weeks, so this is not a sensible option.
2: Optomise your present regime ie push the doses to maximum metformin for your renal function / gastro-intestinal tolerability, push the victoza to 1.8 mg per day.
3: Add in a different tablet to take your glucose levels down throughout the day and help lose weight eg with an SGLT-2 inhibitor such as empagliflozin. I would place this as a better bet than pioglitazone which has lots of benefits, but tends to put weight on.
4: One of the features of T2DM is this way the liver releases glucose overnight, as you say; so one could address this by giving a shot of insulin in evening/bedtime to suppress the liver dump; we would all worry about the weight gain, but there is less weight gain with levemir at bedtime than other insulins, and it is more gentle than other insulins which means it might take longer to titrate up the dose, but less chance of hypos cos going gently, and defo less hypos than a traditional cloudy NPH insulin.
Sorry if this is a bit technical.
Best wishes

SimonCrox

Yes, meds are really useful, but do not really stand a chance of working safely unless attention to diet and lifestyle.
A strength of this forum is that people with different backgrounds and experiences contribute to everyone's benefit