IBG Star/Accu-Chek Mobile?

MrsMushroom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone use this meter? Would you recommend it?

I am currently using the Accu-chek Aviva Expert but I find it clunky and the meter along with the strips, finger pricker etc takes up a lot of room in my bag so i'm looking to 'downsize' and get a new meter for my Christmas (exciting present or what?! haha!).

I have been considering the IBG Star as I use my iPhone all the time and the attachment for blood testing is quite small.

The other meter I have been looking at is the new Accu-chek Mobile as it is strip free. It basically uses a cartridge for blood testing so again would take up less room.

Any advice or recommendations would be great.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
MrsMushroom said:
Does anyone use this meter? Would you recommend it?

I am currently using the Accu-chek Aviva Expert but I find it clunky and the meter along with the strips, finger pricker etc takes up a lot of room in my bag so i'm looking to 'downsize' and get a new meter for my Christmas (exciting present or what?! haha!).

I have been considering the IBG Star as I use my iPhone all the time and the attachment for blood testing is quite small.

The other meter I have been looking at is the new Accu-chek Mobile as it is strip free. It basically uses a cartridge for blood testing so again would take up less room.

Any advice or recommendations would be great.

I want the ibgstar but refuse to pay £50 fr it, will wait for irascible pressie :D I use the freestyle lite it's ultra small.

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
i have been using the Accu-chek Mobile since June 2011, I think it is great, no strips to mess about with each time you test, just change cartridge once every 50 tests. Some say it is bulky, but it comes with it's own case, around the size of a pencil case, and I keep, the meter, pens, needles, spare batteries and monitoring diary in it. When we go out, if fits in my wife's handbag no problem. :lol:

If you can get a perscription for the cartridge, I would recomend this to anyone.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
MrsMushroom said:

The strip-free cartridge is a plus but I didn't care much for the Mobile and found it too bulky and awkward to handle. The Accu-Chek Nano is a great little meter and I was using this before changing to the Bayer Contour USB meter, I like the Contour as you just plug it into the USB port of your computer or laptop and download your readings :thumbup:

MrsMushroom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
noblehead said:
MrsMushroom said:

The strip-free cartridge is a plus but I didn't care much for the Mobile and found it too bulky and awkward to handle. The Accu-Chek Nano is a great little meter and I was using this before changing to the Bayer Contour USB meter, I like the Contour as you just plug it into the USB port of your computer or laptop and download your readings :thumbup:

This is part of the problem I have with the Aviva Expert. Its really bulky.

Plus it has a load of functions on it that quite frankly are useless! :lol:

I just want something small and simple and something that I can download my reading to laptop/phone etc.

Any other recommendations are welcome!

michellem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I assume the IBGstar fits the iphone 5? You know how they like to change things all the time!

MrsMushroom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think it will actually. I only have the iphone 4 so it will work with mine but if i upgrade then it's defunct isn't it?

Good thinking Michelle!

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
MrsMushroom said:
I don't think it will actually. I only have the iphone 4 so it will work with mine but if i upgrade then it's defunct isn't it?

Good thinking Michelle!

Yup, new smaller port on 5, though probably work with an adapter, bit them not as neat.

TT17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Accu chek mobile is very good as it isn't that big without a case and no lancets or strips to dispose of when out and with the newest one you can download it onto your computer. There are 6 lancets in a lancet drum and 50 tests in a cassette. It can give you 7 14 30 and 90 day averages I think. I hope this helped

SueR

Mobile every time for me.

It's an all in one unit with no strips to mess about with or dispose of. I have a leather cover and a case for mine, so everything can be kept together when I am out and about.

Yes it is bulky and does take time to get used to but it's the best one I have ever had. Accu-check are sending me their new model :clap: So I am well impressed :thumbup:

I can be a bit clumsy at times, so if I can adapt to it, anyone can.

bethan90

I am currently using the mobile and have to say I find it very disappointing. First few months it was great but very recently it randomly tells me the cassette is faulty and I have to change the whole thing (therefore wasted 30+ tests) and also keeps telling me "not enough blood has been applied" even though I gave it loadsss of blood. To retest you have to turn the whole machine off and back on again. Very frustrating!!

I have had the bgstar strips put on prescription for me and I am off to boots on the weekend to buy the ibgstar device. Looking forward to using it. I have an iphone4 and a long contract so no problems there. Hopefully by the time I come to upgrade my phone there will be an adapter for the ibgstar.

For those buying the device in boots, remember we get the VAT exemption so it will only cost £40.

TT17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That happened with my first mobile but it was replaced and worked fine ever since

SaintDavid

The Mobiles are OK, getting the test cassettes can be an issue for some though. With regard to the error message indicating a faulty cassette, you only need to lose one test. After the message comes up just close the meter and turn it off then open it up again, the next test will be fine. Clearly there is / was an issue with the firmware that drives it.

malky

I have recently gone from the aviva nano to the mobile and i have to say i prefer the mobile as it is an all in one package, In my opinion it is no bigger than the nano when you take into account the test strips tub, also when you register your mobile you can order a choice of case for it one is like a pencil case which will hold other items like needles insulin pens etc. or a smaller on that just takes the meter that is the one i went for for my two mobiles but now wish i had got on of the bigger ones as the mall one has no where to carry needles so they need to go in my pocket. If you call accu chek they will probably send you a mobile for free. I like the thought of the igbstar but at £50 and the extra cost of an iphone over my current phone i cannot justify it.

CaptArtichoke

iBGStar is half price now - just got mine. I knew they'd drop the price eventually! I had to get an adapter though at the port is different but the money I saved on the half-price promotion at Boots funded the adapter.