I TOOK A READING (AFTER 3 ATTEMPTS) AND MY MMOL READING IS 6.6

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

Go back to the welcome message you got from Daisy and re=read it all. It is very useful.

You need to measure when your first wake up, before each meal and 2 hours afterwards. Keep a note on what you eat an you can see what raises your blood sugar and what doesn't.

If you want to post a few of your meals here we can take a look and add some comments.

Cara

TOSH1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i took a reading this morning before i had anything and I got a reading of 6.6

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
i took a reading this morning before i had anything and I got a reading of 6.6

That's not bad at all Tosh, take another one 2 hours after the time you started eating your breakfast

TOSH1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not 100% convinced that I am doing right. I used 3 strips yesterday and 5 this morning to get a reading. Does anyone have any experience of this and also is there any reader out there that is better

Ann Rose

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mushrooms, beets, violence and mean people.
I am not 100% convinced that I am doing right. I used 3 strips yesterday and 5 this morning to get a reading. Does anyone have any experience of this and also is there any reader out there that is better
Hi Tosh1, and welcome to the group! can you explain why you're needing to use three or five strips to get one reading? If you are getting a good drop of blood to test with, but the reading still shows up as an error code, then it may have to do with how the sample is taken up into the strip -- today's meters and strips work by capilary action, so you hold the test strip right next to the drop of blood to sample, and the blood should be drawn up into the testing portion of the strip. It could also be that the sample is not large enough for the strip; that is to say that the testing area of the strip needs to be completely "covered" or filled by the blood sample in order for the meter to work. Can you ask a nurse practitioner or certified diabetes educator in your doctor's practice to go over testing with you in an office or clinic setting?

I've been at this only a few months myself, and do get error readings from time to time, due to not enough blood going into the test strip to sample and calculate. After a while testing with your current meter, you might get a more accurate sense of exactly how large a sample/ blood drop you need for your meter to get an accurate reading. Alternatively, there are many videos online which show how to take a reading. Perhaps your meter's manufacturer has a website, and videos on there explaining how to use their meter?

Keep asking questions, on this board and from others whom you also trust. It's sometimes a difficult upward climb at first, but you can get the hang of this and start gaining control.

stevespalding

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had no ends of trouble with the iBGStar. For me at least it's been next to useless. I've sent one back to the manufacturer who could find nothing wrong. If there's too much blood it doesn't work, if there's not enough blood, it doesn't work. It's probably the worst meter I've ever used. I'd spent a fortune on strips, of which I had to use anywhere from 1 to 5 to get any kind of result. I don't rate the manufacturer's customer service either - they wanted me to send back the meter before they'd replace it (leaving me with nothing to test with in the meantime). If I were you I'd stick to the more established manufacturers like Bayer, Lifescan or Roche etc. Personally I have found the SD Code Free monitor to be a lot better value and pretty accurate, despite other users' not so favourable reviews.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only trouble I had with an iBGStar meter was its battery failed, after only 3 months. That said, having engaged in dialogue with Sanofi, it was replaced, without quibble. I asked for feedback on the returned meter, and it was confirmed the battery had failed.

(Sorry this thread has deflected a bit.)