IF, EF, Metformin and Exercise

mstickland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m a 46 year old Type II diabetic whose recent HbA1c clearly showed I have been a bit naughty over the last few months! Having seen my GP recently she suggested I looked at fasting as a method of helping to control my blood glucose levels.

I recently read David Fungs book on fasting and have the following questions I hope you’ll be able to answer:

1 - I’m currently on the maximum dose of Metformin and wondered when I should take this during extended periods of fasting i.e. if I’m fasting for 24 to 48 hours or more?

2 - I go to the gym several times a week either weight training, spinning or doing yoga. I also try to go running once or twice a week. How do I exercise during extended periods of fasting?

I have a basic understanding of how fasting works but my concern is that I don’t need to lose weight I just need to try and get my blood glucose levels under control again.

Any help would be great.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So what are you doing to control your blood glucose levels after meals?
You'll be getting fitter, but that doesn't necessarily do anything about spikes after eating or drinking.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind of things are you eating? Many find changing diet alongside fasting to be the most potent form of change, I know I did.

As for working out/exercise many too find it more beneficial to do it fasted anyway.

mstickland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So what are you doing to control your blood glucose levels after meals?
You'll be getting fitter, but that doesn't necessarily do anything about spikes after eating or drinking.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean. My plan is to continue taking Metformin and monitoring my blood glucose levels whilst intermittently fasting.

I’m 84 kgs and therefore don’t need to lose weight any more in fact I would like to start to increase my muscle mass but I’m not sure if that is possible whilst fasting.

mstickland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What kind of things are you eating? Many find changing diet alongside fasting to be the most potent form of change, I know I did.

As for working out/exercise many too find it more beneficial to do it fasted anyway.

I’m going to go back onto a low carb high-fat diet whilst intermittently fasting but what I don’t want to do is lose weight, in fact I plan on increasing muscle mass.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Exercise or non, fasting or eating, I take 2 * 500 mg morning and evening.
My system seems to tolerate this.
Everyone is different.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m going to go back onto a low carb high-fat diet whilst intermittently fasting but what I don’t want to do is lose weight, in fact I plan on increasing muscle mass.

I'm no expert on building muscle mass but there are plenty who are doing LCHF/Keto?carnivore who are.

Less cardio is often recommended.

Maybe follow some low carb fitness "guru's" like Jerry Texiera
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPEAhtSZDkTb0rDGrtaSU7A
or Ted Naiman?

Reactions: mstickland