1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

If your pump could do more ...

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by helensaramay, Nov 8, 2017.

1. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you could add features to your pump, what would you ask for?

I would like some pre-set programs:

After nearly two years on a pump, I have reached the stage where I think I have got the hang of it and regularly use features like the temporary basal and combo bolus.
    I know when I got to the gym, I set a -40% temp basal for 1.5 hours before I leave home and, then, set a -20% temp basal for 8 hours when I have finished.
    I know when I go climbing, I set a +30% temp basal for 2.5 hours before I leave home and, then, when I have a break after 2 hours of climbing, I set a -20% basal for 8 hours.
    I know when I eat pizza, I set a combo bolus of 60:40 over 4 hours.
    I know when I eat a big bar of chocolate, I use a combo bolus of 40:60 over 3 hours.

I say I know this but I sometimes forget to do something set the second temporary basal or I get my pizza and chocolate combo bolus confused.

It would be wonderful if I could configure some pre-set programs on my pump.
    Every time I go to the gym I would just select "Gym Basal" and it would do all the adjustments it needs over the next 13 hours.
    When I eat an Aero (I kid myself that, although it is large, it is lighter than other chocolate bars so not quite as unhealthy), I select "Choc Bolus" and it does its thing.

Anyone else have any "if only my pump did this..." thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. claire1991

claire1991 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If only my pump could test my bg and correct it itself.
    That would be THE best thing for me!

• Like Like x 2
  3. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@helensaramay

Personly I don't think pumps should do anything clever, there should be a standard way for other equipment to "talk" to a pump. So letting mobile phone apps could do it, and the apps would improve a lot faster than any software built into a pump.

4. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So, what you want is a phone interface.
    Sounds great.
    I suggested this to the Animas guy. He explained the likes of Apple are afraid yo go down this route as they could be made liable if the wrong command is sent (or not sent) to a life dependent device. Not sure if this was an excuse or the truth. Probably a bit of both.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@helensaramay I too would love to be able to preset whole programs - like for instance a staggered TBR for gymming and running and what-not - my DIY approach to it does work, but it would be amazing to be able to pre-set a sequence of staggered TBRs!

:happy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook