Ignorance about LADA

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a hernia operation this week and the medical staff were aware that I was on insulin. I had excellent treatment throughout and was allowed to keep and do my own insulin. My anaesthetist was lovely and obviously very competent but when we discussed my insulin use after the op if I went outside BS limits it was obvious she had never heard of Late onset T1 and smiled politely when I said I was one of those. We agreed the definition was irrelevant as I was on MDI and that was all that mattered. I did point out that being labelled T2 caused the refusal of insulin by my GP until my HBa1C went quite high. Conversely the hospital cardiac doctor who was called when my heart fluttered in recovery was well aware on Late onset T1 and went along with it. So, there is still a lot of work to be done to ensure all medics get the right diabetes education when they do have that training; my diabetes GP straight off her training course was not aware of it.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a very rare disease in the general scheme of things. You're talking about maybe 1 in 500 people who have it. Personally, I would just say I was type 1 (which is technically true) to ensure there was no confusion.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I can relate as I still have a hard time explaining that I'm on insulin because I'm insulin deficient. I keep getting referred to as a type 1 when I'm not. I also am not on insulin because I can't control with diet or meds... I'm on it because my pancreas isn't producing much at all. So I can understand what you're saying... even though I have a different type I get stereotyped often. I'm always having to correct people. I also notice that people that don't have the straight forward diabetic scenarios are not mentioned in a lot of publications. It's either you are type 1 and need insulin, or you are type 2 and need to change your diet and you may need meds to help. I often wonder how all the other types feel.... type 1.5 and 3c don't get a mention much at all. No wonder even medical staff are not aware... I think their training is too basic.

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
I agree with @TorqPenderloin

Unfortunately, many have their preconceived notions and many medical personnel still believe type 1 is for children and type 2 is for adults. My own family doctor was shocked when the endo report said I was type 1. She had never heard of LADA.

I just say I'm type 1 when I need to comment on my diabetes. It's scary to think that doctors and nurses aren't fully up to date with diabetes, but then I remember there's so much information they need to have. New diseases, scary diseases, etc.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with @TorqPenderloin. I'd have just said Type 1. My consultant doesn't use the term LADA and (obviously!) diabetes is her speciality, so it's possible not many people are aware of it.

Could part of the issue be that you might have Type 2 on your notes? Is that correct? Did that add to the problem, do you think?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with @TorqPenderloin. I'd have just said Type 1. My consultant doesn't use the term LADA and (obviously!) diabetes is her speciality, so it's possible not many people are aware of it.

Could part of the issue be that you might have Type 2 on your notes? Is that correct? Did that add to the problem, do you think?
Yes, I have T2 in my notes and that is still a problem as it was in my GPs guidance to my surgeon. My diabetes GP when I questioned my T2 diagnosis a few years back said 'you're not T1 therefore you are T2. I have 500 diabetes patients so know what I'm talking about'. She had only recently finished her 1 week diabetes training! So I call myself a T1 to keep it simple and I'm still listed as T2. These mid-diagnoses must skew the national statistics and training and ultimately affect research. BTW when I left the surgery on that occasion she asked if there was diabetes in the family I said my nephew was diagnosed T1 at age 22 in A&E and she said 'that's unusual'. Other than the lack of good diabetes training in this area she is an excellent GP.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi Diabell, interesting that they list you as type 2. I am classed as type 1 on all my notes. Only LADA here because people here get it. X

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Could your consultant change or clarify your type in your notes @Daibell ?
I don't have a consultant ('cos I'm a T2, now on insulin, and dealt with by my surgery). My GP wouldn't change me as we previously had a big argument over it, the lovely DN who started me on insulin has sadly left and my new DN is good but probably would refer me back to the GP and I know the result! My treatment currently is good and I'm not the only one in this situation i.e. always been slim, lost a a lot of weight at diagnosis and all the tablets failed to work even with low-carb. The problem is the slow onset which confuses GPs. I'm getting the right treatment but the statistics are messed-up. At least NICE have now added a bit on the DEC 2015 guidelines about being slim at diagnosis and considering T1 instead of T2.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah, I'm not sure what you can do in those circumstances then @Daibell
I suppose you have to think positive and remember the doctor who did get LADA. I'm sure knowledge will spread gradually.
I hope you have a good recovery : )

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Diabell, interesting that they list you as type 2. I am classed as type 1 on all my notes. Only LADA here because people here get it. X
I am also listed as type 1.

luna50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a hernia operation this week and the medical staff were aware that I was on insulin. I had excellent treatment throughout and was allowed to keep and do my own insulin. My anaesthetist was lovely and obviously very competent but when we discussed my insulin use after the op if I went outside BS limits it was obvious she had never heard of Late onset T1 and smiled politely when I said I was one of those. We agreed the definition was irrelevant as I was on MDI and that was all that mattered. I did point out that being labelled T2 caused the refusal of insulin by my GP until my HBa1C went quite high. Conversely the hospital cardiac doctor who was called when my heart fluttered in recovery was well aware on Late onset T1 and went along with it. So, there is still a lot of work to be done to ensure all medics get the right diabetes education when they do have that training; my diabetes GP straight off her training course was not aware of it.

International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 10th Revision
Is the database where all diseases are classified in groups.
The name of this database is: ICD10.
The LADA do not exist in this DB by WHO.
This is the reason why many physicians do not know about the name.
It is my opinion, the problem is by the doctor who place the diagnose.
This doctors do not make there job correct. They should make a blood test for GAD 65 and C-peptide to get information's about the antibody's for the pancreatic beta cell's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 10th Revision
Is the database where all diseases are classified in groups.
The name of this database is: ICD10.
The LADA do not exist in this DB by WHO.
This is the reason why many physicians do not know about the name.
It is my opinion, the problem is by the doctor who place the diagnose.
This doctors do not make there job correct. They should make a blood test for GAD 65 and C-peptide to get information's about the antibody's for the pancreatic beta cell's.
Thank you for this information. I tend to say I'm Late onset T1 which is sort of self-explanatory helped by the fact that our new Prime Minister,Theresa May, is one of us. GPs tend to plump for a T2 diagnosis by default and many have had to fight for GAD and c-peptide tests. Also worth noting again that GAD isn't only anti-body and other things such as viruses and pancreatitis can have the same result i.e. T1.