I'm a parent who's 2 year old son just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes

Skye's_mummy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, my dd is 2 1/2. Diagnosed just before she turned 2. You sound like you're getting your head around a lot. Please please please be VERY cautious about pre bolusing for food at this early stage. You would not believe how little insulin or time it takes to make a little one very poorly. Every hospital has different ways and techniques for the first few weeks or in general but we were checking blood sugars every two hours when she was first diagnosed. This gave the hospital lots of information of what was working and what needs tweaking. If you're son is on set bolus, every one is to start with, then try to keep meals about the same portion size, this helps with sorting out sugars in the early weeks.
It gets easier honestly, but everything needs to be done gradually and properly for the safety of your child. You will get frustrated with the nurses at some point as you may think there too relaxed about it all, but trust them. They know what their doing. Here when you need me

Garymurday87

Hi, my dd is 2 1/2. Diagnosed just before she turned 2. You sound like you're getting your head around a lot. Please please please be VERY cautious about pre bolusing for food at this early stage. You would not believe how little insulin or time it takes to make a little one very poorly. Every hospital has different ways and techniques for the first few weeks or in general but we were checking blood sugars every two hours when she was first diagnosed. This gave the hospital lots of information of what was working and what needs tweaking. If you're son is on set bolus, every one is to start with, then try to keep meals about the same portion size, this helps with sorting out sugars in the early weeks.
It gets easier honestly, but everything needs to be done gradually and properly for the safety of your child. You will get frustrated with the nurses at some point as you may think there too relaxed about it all, but trust them. They know what their doing. Here when you need me

Thanks for you comments and advice , it's a lot to take it at the start isn't it !!

My son is currently on 1.5 nova rapid breakfast dinner and tea then he has a shot of 3 units one beginning With L just before his supper we are day 4 into this. And at the min there are no patterns what so ever each reading is different , we gave him the same tea and the same supper as yesterday today, just to see if we could spot a trend but all figures where all over the place. We are due back at the docs on Wednesday and the dietitian is coming on Thursday , so hopefully we can get better understanding on what we should be feeding him . And what else we can do to control this nightmare

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Skye's_mummy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for you comments and advice , it's a lot to take it at the start isn't it !!

My son is currently on 1.5 nova rapid breakfast dinner and tea then he has a shot of 3 units one beginning With L just before his supper we are day 4 into this. And at the min there are no patterns what so ever each reading is different , we gave him the same tea and the same supper as yesterday today, just to see if we could spot a trend but all figures where all over the place. We are due back at the docs on Wednesday and the dietitian is coming on Thursday , so hopefully we can get better understanding on what we should be feeding him . And what else we can do to control this nightmare

Levemir is his long acting one. I know all these words and phrases that you never dreamed about having to know before! There will be no patterns to start with as his body will be getting used to the fact it's having insulin injected and his pancreas is still making some too. Keeping same portion sizes aren't really for patterns for adjustments as much as giving the docs some information about what's going on with his body. He can eat ANYTHING he wants! I know a lot of people say I don't give them this or that because of x y z but in all honesty I want my little girl to feel like a 'normal' child who can eat whatever everyone else is having. She's my little girl before she's my diabetic child, I never want food to become an issue. But it's your child and your decision on what is best and works for your family.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Totally agree, records are for getting some patterns for docs but more on how activities etc can affect things.. and also you will learn about sick day rules at some point.

Just the point I was making too... furst and foremost your son is stil still son and will cope.. you are the feeders and support etc and its down to you initially to do every ounce of the diabetes routine.... dont let your son have rhe "diabetic" label in front!!

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We dont bolus til the meal hits the table when we go out. Our hospital encourages people to apply for dla to fund libres as they make life so much easier - but i dont think you can use them til he.s 4 sorry

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Garymurday87

We dont bolus til the meal hits the table when we go out. Our hospital encourages people to apply for dla to fund libres as they make life so much easier - but i dont think you can use them til he.s 4 sorry

That's what we will do for meals out , we had our first meeting with our nurse today, we can get funding for something called a dextar or something like that , so will do some research

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Dexcom cgm?
Medtronic guardian connect good too. Works to an iphone though and up to 5 people including hospital can get alerts..

SL39

hi all ,

On Friday myself and my wife took our 2 year old boy to the doctors due to being very wet at night and passing urine a lot in the last month , we thought he had a water infection. The docs took a sample and found high levels of glucose in his wee, we was sent straight to the hospital where he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Initially we was very shocked , very upset and felt like our world has just been turn right upside down. We have just spent 2 nights in hospital and have had intensive training on how to administer his medication .

He need insulin with every meal and one shot just before bed time .

We are due back to hospital next week for more education and to learn what is carb counting .

It seems so unfare on my little boy having to go through this

I just hope it's gets easier

We completely understand what you are going through. Our 6 year old daughter was a crash call to A&E with Ketoacidosis & spent 6 days in hospital. We were devastated to be told she was T1D & still trying to come to terms with it. We have had some heartbreaking moments with our daughter in tears begging us to take it all away & I know it sounds extreme but I feel like I am grieving for the life she had & the battles ahead we all face as a family. I too hope with time that things will get better x

Last edited by a moderator:

JennyGurr

HI Gary, I've just seen your posts. I am a mum of a T1 child who was dx at 2.5yrs. Max is now 8. I know that you're in the early days but I wanted you to know your not alone and that there is a massive T1 community on fb. There are lots of groups available from newly dx families to familes that have experience in managing T1. I have also met local mums and children through these groups too. Your welcome to message me if you need any further information. Honestly things do get easier, it's just a steep learning curve to begin with. Wishing you and your family well :)

parentjoe

hi all ,

On Friday myself and my wife took our 2 year old boy to the doctors due to being very wet at night and passing urine a lot in the last month , we thought he had a water infection. The docs took a sample and found high levels of glucose in his wee, we was sent straight to the hospital where he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Initially we was very shocked , very upset and felt like our world has just been turn right upside down. We have just spent 2 nights in hospital and have had intensive training on how to administer his medication .

He need insulin with every meal and one shot just before bed time .

We are due back to hospital next week for more education and to learn what is carb counting .

It seems so unfare on my little boy having to go through this

I just hope it's gets easier

My son was diagnosed at 2 with exactly the same symptoms. He's now 12 and went on to a pump 12 months ago. He's well controlled.
He is going to France on a school trip next week for a couple of days where he will manage his own levels. He plays basketball for the county and Camps regularly with scouts.
It seems daunting at the start and there are no absolute right and wrongs. He will have hypos which can be very scary, it's just a fact, you can't avoid it. He will have days when you can't get his levels down for anything but as time goes by it gets easier and pretty soon it becomes routine.
It's not unfair, there are far worse things kids have to endure in the world, honestly it's not that bad.
You will be fine.
Joe