I'm as mad as hell!!

Yetiandy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on Metformin since 2007 and have spent time in hospital due to severe dehydration and diarrhoea I was going to the toilet up to 12 times a day when I told a doctor they said some people do go that many times so I battled though, eventually it became a massive problem again I wasn't able to leave my house for 5 weeks I had all sorts of tests to see what virus's I had, apparently none!! Then I saw my Doctor and told him I could not go on it was too much, I was getting 3 minutes warning before Armageddon, he checked my diet, then said "do you take metformin?" "Yes" I said well stop taking it he said 12 hours later peace and calm broke out I hadn't been this well in 9 years and I continue to be well.
Metformin was ruining my life and I didn't know it!!

Reactions: jenrose

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It never ceases to amaze me how many HCPs seem to ignore the GI effects of metformin on some people - and how many expect people just to live with it. Glad you've finally got your issues sorted @Yetiandy :)

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Exactly my experience too! I can't believe the doctors were getting me to do an exclusion diet/fodmap when within 12 hours of stopping M glucophage, things went back to pre-Metformin ways. I suffered for 10 years! Now on insulin and life is SO much better.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took it for 3 weeks and had the shits every day.. so I stopped taking it..

Reactions: fbirder

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am getting pain and grumbling, and am really glad that my energy has increased as I have to run up to the bathroom several times a day. I just take one 500mg tablet in the middle of dinner and some nights I daren't go to bed until there is nothing left inside me.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It takes a while to realise that you don't have to suffer intolerable adverse side effects just because a HCP prescribed them. If you feel worse for taking them then they are not improving your quality of life and they are not achieving their object. In my case I used to stop taking the suspect pill and if things improved I would notify DN that I had stopped taking them. She would either accept that or find an alternative. I have lost count of the number of times I have been through this procedure on a variety of pills.

At out last meeting she identified a pill for which I had not reported a side effect (Ramipril). I was quite ill on statins at the time and stopped all pills as a matter of urgency. She now wants me to take the Ramipril again. She does not give up easily.

Reactions: Energize

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am getting pain and grumbling, and am really glad that my energy has increased as I have to run up to the bathroom several times a day. I just take one 500mg tablet in the middle of dinner and some nights I daren't go to bed until there is nothing left inside me.
Are you taking the slow release version of Metformin they often stop those type of side effects

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked the nurse about changing to slow release and got a firm 'not available' - but the assurance that it would get better. I refrained from saying that yes it would, because I'd stop taking the nasty stuff. It isn't as though it is a few twinges, it is a constant and quite sharp pain lasting for a couple of hours.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Tell the doctor not the nurse, who the hell do they think they are, its your health, tell them you've stopped taking it.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Resurgam, I don't remember how long you have been taking Metformin for but it's definitely not suiting you, in my opinion. As your Diabetes nurse is so adamant that you can't change to an alternative, I would certainly make an appointment to see your GP to explain how this medication is negatively affecting both your quality of life AND possibly your health. I would question how much of the medication you are actually absorbing due to the fact you're on the loo so often each day.

Yes, there is a slow-release Metformin which would be worth trying and I consider your GP should be happy to prescribe it as you are clearly not tolerating the standard tablet type.

Failing that, you could just refuse to take it although, if you can tolerate the slow release one, it would benefit you very much.

Good luck

Marymcc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It never ceases to amaze me how many HCPs seem to ignore the GI effects of metformin on some people - and how many expect people just to live with it. Glad you've finally got your issues sorted @Yetiandy :)
I've been in Metaformin for six years and the still upset my bowles but Dr want take me of them

spend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been on Metformin since 2007 and have spent time in hospital due to severe dehydration and diarrhoea I was going to the toilet up to 12 times a day when I told a doctor they said some people do go that many times so I battled though, eventually it became a massive problem again I wasn't able to leave my house for 5 weeks I had all sorts of tests to see what virus's I had, apparently none!! Then I saw my Doctor and told him I could not go on it was too much, I was getting 3 minutes warning before Armageddon, he checked my diet, then said "do you take metformin?" "Yes" I said well stop taking it he said 12 hours later peace and calm broke out I hadn't been this well in 9 years and I continue to be well.
I have had similar problems and my old nurse gave me slow release metformin (met abet) these are better but still have some problems. My diabetes stopped getting controlled so my new nurse gave me 3 other types of drugs to run along side the metformin all of which had bad side effects. The Nurse then referred me to the hospital ( i think she had had enough of me complaining and I felt she wanted to wash her hands of my problem) I am now on a new different drug and also inject every day with vitoza. I feel much better, have more energy and after being angry about having to inject once a day I am thankful for the drug. I must admit I had not realised how bad I had been feeling until the new drugs kicked in.

Lorac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So what did your GP prescribe

little boo

I had the same problem had to have a colonoscopy and tests told various Docs I thought it was metformin.Stopped taking it and feeling much better.
I was put on linagliptin told no need to check blood sugars I felt dreadful my sugars were through the roof now on insulin.
Why won't medical team listen we know our own bodies. Rant over

ckamalu

Please what do you'll take instead of metfromin. I suffer abdominal pain and diarrhoea from metformin. My doctor insists I must take it to combat my insulin resistance. My question is what else can I take for insuline resistance instead of metformin?

maisie_hoggs

I also was on Metformin and loads of problems - stomach pains and diahorrea. if i needed the toilet - it was NOW. Persevered a while - didn't settle down. Was on glixiglide instead. Tried slow release metformin - still had bowel pain and diahorrea. Was put on pioglixglide. Sugars settled for a while. Still had stomach pain and ended up being diagnosed with diverticular disease. Asked if this was because of metformin and the doctor believed it was. Sometimes we just have to be strong and say No - enough is enough.

Reactions: jabberthenut
Type of diabetes
Type 2

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a similar problem with metformin . Kept being told by the doctor to keep taking it and it would get better.No such luck I didn't even get "the three minute warning " just instant diarrhea.
I could not leave my house and even when changed to slow release still the same.
Consultant at hospital when I went for follow up after 3 months was much more sympathetic and changed me onto vildagliptin and it was like he'd given me my life back. I now have allergic to metformin written on my medical records. There are alternatives please don't suffer in silence !!

Reactions: Maurice10512