(I'm hurry) need advice

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Here is a thing.
At the end of March, I went to the health check-up. To see, is there any problem with me? So the doctor collect my blood sample and ..... and tell me I got type 2. So that was shock. And I don't know wether the doctor is confused or it's truth. And until I still concern that I might have or I might not.

So tomorrow, I plan to visit another health center to check-up again. If the result was the same. I will accept all.

So I want to know
-should I take the medicine ( metformin) at night? Since I want to know if any change.

And if the result is coming out that I don't actually get the type 2. What should I do?

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did they tell you what your HBA1c 'score' was?
I am not medically trained, so cannot advise if you should or should not take prescribed medication.
Most folk are in denial on diagnosis, you wont be the first. While I hope for you that you are not T2D, do prepare yourself for the fact that you are, its not the end of the world

Reactions: Kevin259

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did they tell you what your HBA1c 'score' was?
I am not medically trained, so cannot advise if you should or should not take prescribed medication.
Most folk are in denial on diagnosis, you wont be the first. While I hope for you that you are not T2D, do prepare yourself for the fact that you are, its not the end of the world

Because during the time of my testing. My BG IS 202. And they said my A1c is 8.4%.
I already accept it. But my family didn't. So I have to do it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Because during the time of my testing. My BG IS 202. And they said my A1c is 8.4%.

With those test results it would seem your doctor gave the right diagnosis. Have a second opinion by all means.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those results leave me in no doubt you are diabetic. Taking Metformin before your second opinion could confuse things but with an Hba1c like yours I don't suppose it will make much difference whether you take it or not since it has little effect on blood sugar readings.

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Those results leave me in no doubt you are diabetic. Taking Metformin before your second opinion could confuse things but with an Hba1c like yours I don't suppose it will make much difference whether you take it or not since it has little effect on blood sugar readings.

So what the doctor will looking for
If my BG IS non-diabetic.
Or my A1c is normal.
And maybe my urine's glucose is negative.
Because these days, my BG IS very normal. Also the 2h after meal is also on target.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Ly_atdia In your previous thread you said on diagnosis your reading was 202 mg/dl, which would be in the diabetic range.
You also posted your own meter readings between 11-22 April, which showed readings of between 70-94 mg/dl. And you said you had lost 2 stone. Your weight loss and diet control might have reduced your HbA1c, but only another full blood test can tell you that.
Hopefully your test tomorrow will confirm that you are no longe in the diabetic range, if your meter readings are indicative. Whether you take the metafornin tonight or not isn't going to make any difference to your blood test result tomorrow, as the HbA1c measures your blood sugar level over the last 8-12 weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ly_atdia

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So what the doctor will looking for
If my BG IS non-diabetic.
Or my A1c is normal..
The doctor will be looking to see if your HbA1c level, which shows your bg level over the last 8-12 week is diabetic or not.
123 mg/dl or 6.8 mmol/L, or below, is non-diabetic.
140 mg/dl or 7.8 mmol/L, or above is diabetic.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your BG is OK at the 2hr mark then I suggest that the 2hr mark is not where your peak occurs. The A1c is very useful in that it gives a result based on your sugar levels for the last 2 to 3 months.

It is unlikely that your BG will be non diabetic at all times, you already have an A1c result of 8.4% and I have no idea what your urine will show.

Denial is common with new diabetics. Sorry, and welcome to our world.

Reactions: Prem51

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Ly_atdia In your previous thread you said on diagnosis your reading was 202 mg/dl, which would be in the diabetic range.
You also posted your own meter readings between 11-22 April, which showed readings of between 70-94 mg/dl. And you said you had lost 2 stone. Your weight loss and diet control might have reduced your HbA1c, but only another full blood test can tell you that.
Hopefully your test tomorrow will confirm that you are no longer diabetic, if your meter readings are indicative. Whether you take the metafornin tonight or not isn't going to make any difference to your blood test result tomorrow, as the HbA1c measures your blood sugar level over the last 8-12 weeks.

Because I am not clear about that. So which one should I follow. Tomorrow test or the last one?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tomorrow's test will be the relevant one. Good luck!

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The doctor will be looking to see if your HbA1c level, which shows your bg level over the last 8-12 week is diabetic or not.
123 mg/dl or 6.8 mmol/L, or below, is non-diabetic.
140 mg/dl or 7.8 mmol/L, or above is diabetic.

But my next appointment with the previous doctor was the end of may. So by the end of may, if my A1c is reduced. Is that reverse or I don't got T2 at all?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Because I am not clear about that. So which one should I follow. Tomorrow test or the last one?

If tomorrow's test shows an HbA1c in the non-diabetic range (below 6%) it simply means you have managed to control your Type 2 by diet and losing weight. It does not mean you are cured. Basically, it means you have to continue with your regime of sensible eating and weight loss.

Reactions: ohdamn

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnose as diabetic last November. My tests in February showed almost normal readings - but it does not mean the diabetes has gone away, just that it is being controlled.
I will always be diabetic but I hope that my diet will stop anything bad happening to me as a result of high blood glucose, because it will rise again if I do not eat low carb foods.

Reactions: ohdamn and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes @Bluetit1802 and @Resurgam are right. I didn't frame my reply well. Even if your HbA1c result tomorrow is in the non-diabetic range, your initial reading of 202 md/dl means you are diabetic, and you will need to continue to control your condition.
I am no longer in the diabetic range, but will always be diabetic.

Ly_atdia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes @Bluetit1802 and @Resurgam are right. I didn't frame my reply well. Even if your HbA1c result tomorrow is in the non-diabetic range, your initial reading of 202 md/dl means you are diabetic, and you will need to continue to control your condition.
I am no longer in the diabetic range, but will always be diabetic.

So are you taking any med?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No, I manage my condition by diet and exercise. But my HbA1c wasn't very high when I was diagnosed. If it had been higher I expect my doctor would have wanted me to take metafornin.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

With A1c of 8.4% and BG of 202, a few days of metformin is not going to bring it down. You would usually need consistently good glucose control for 3 months to bring down the A1c to non-diabetic levels.

For that you would need a combination of carbs reduction and intermittent fasting. Without the intetmittently fasting, it will be a more gradual process... 6-9 months...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With A1c of 8.4% and BG of 202, a few days of metformin is not going to bring it down. You would usually need consistently good glucose control for 3 months to bring down the A1c to non-diabetic levels.

For that you would need a combination of carbs reduction and intermittent fasting. Without the intetmittently fasting, it will be a more gradual process... 6-9 months...
I am not sure what the conversion factor is, but my doctor said that my Hba1c was very bad at 91 in UK terms - and I stopped taking the tablets after about 5 weeks of total misery, went on diet alone, no fasting at all, a bit more exercise but that was because I had more energy, and I got down (just) to prediabetic in 80 days - easy. I even experimented and got high BG levels when checking just how bad for me some foods are.
Low carb eating is very very effective in lowering BG levels.