I'm new to all this

Hartnell6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya I've just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Had my first gp appointment today and the doctor weighed me logged me onto the system as diabetic. I was a little concerned as I've been very sleepy lately and feeling rough the whole time. She doesn't want me to test my blood sugars but wants me to lose weight as my hba1c is just in the diabetic range.
I'm 5ft1 and weigh 73kgs

Reactions: Freema

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
Hello @Hartnell6 Welcome to the forum.. There are plenty of friendly people here to answer any questions you may have. It's often a huge shock when your'e first diagnosed and there seems a lot to take in. I'll tag @daisy1 who can give you some basic info to start you off with.

Reactions: AM1874 and Freema
M

ME_Valentijn

I was a little concerned as I've been very sleepy lately and feeling rough the whole time.
What was your fasting blood sugar at diagnosis? It might still be way too high if you're having nasty symptoms.
She doesn't want me to test my blood sugars ....
She's not the one who's feeling sick and trying to figure out how to improve the situation in the short term. A glucose meter is essential to gaining some control.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya I've just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Had my first gp appointment today and the doctor weighed me logged me onto the system as diabetic. I was a little concerned as I've been very sleepy lately and feeling rough the whole time. She doesn't want me to test my blood sugars but wants me to lose weight as my hba1c is just in the diabetic range.
I'm 5ft1 and weigh 73kgs

You need to test otherwise How would you know if What you eat works ... Welcome here you can learn so much in This forum among How to eat very low carb and get your blood glucose down to normal The low carb High fat diet is a health saver ... and it works and your excess weight will melt of if you go really low carb. I hve lost 77 pounds that way since June 2016

Hartnell6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm going back to docs and asking for a meter as I feel so Ill and I want to take control before it gets out of hand

Reactions: AM1874

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi hartnell6 and welcome I have only been on here a few weeks but already I've learned more in that time then I have in 43yrs of being type 1 insulin controlled diabetic so keep visiting I'm sure you won't be sorry all the best for now and again welcome.

Reactions: AM1874

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going back to docs and asking for a meter as I feel so Ill and I want to take control before it gets out of hand
Hi Hartnell6

Welcome to the forum. Yes, you'll find so much expertise, knowledge and experience here, from members who actually KNOW what they're saying ;)

I wish you good luck when you ask your doctor for a meter but the usual reply is that 'being Type 2, you don't need to test'. Clearly you do need to test but it seems this could be a method of the surgery to save money, unfortunately, and at the expense of YOUR health, not their's :( However, occasionally GPs will prescribe test strips for a Type 2 without being prescribed insulin-increasing medications so good luck and let us know how you get on.

Assuming your GP will refuse to prescribe test strips (the on-going cost of having a meter), you may like to check out the SDCodeFree - https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

and the Tee2 Meter http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

Also, the NHS advice re the Eatwell Plate Healthy eating is not OK for diabetics, as too many carbs ;)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I have no idea as o was diagnosed with two hba1c tests

Hi and welcome,

You are highly unlikely to be given a meter and test strips on prescription unless you are on insulin. You will find you have to self fund like most of the rest of we non-insulin users do. However, a meter is an essential piece of kit, and the only way to learn which foods your body can tolerate, and in what quantities. If you want to control this disease you need a meter. Its as simple as that.

You also need to know your test results otherwise you have no idea where you are starting from, and it isn't just the HbA1c it is also the other bits that can be of concern to us (cholesterol, lipids, kidney and liver functions) If you are in England your test results may be available on line. They should be because all surgeries were asked to have them available on line by April 2016. A few surgeries are a bit behind with this. I suggest you ring the receptionist and ask about test results on-line and how to access them. Failing that, you must ask for a print out of the test results you have had. With this knowledge you can be "one up" on your doctor and nurse as you can prepare yourself properly before future appointments. Without this knowledge you are working blind.

I will tag @daisy1 because she has valuable information for newly diagnosed. Please read it and follow the links. It is all very useful. Meanwhile, have a good read round and see how everyone else is managing.

Reactions: Hartnell6

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, welcome to the site. The other day I dropped into my local doctors surgery and asked for printouts of my blood tests. Normal is below a HbA1C of 48. See http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

Sounds like your reading is a little higher than 48. If you want to lose weight and reduce your blood sugar then take a look at the low carb diet info on this site. Many people have adopted the LCHF Low Carb High Fat diet. This is where you reduce carbohydrates and increase fat to compensate. Turns out that eating fat doesn't increase blood sugar and makes you feel full, and consequently you eat less and lose weight. I have lost 7kg in the last few months and many others have lost a lot more weight. My HbA1C has dropped from 99 to 59 from October to February manly due to diet.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although it might seem expensive to be testing quite often to see how various foods affect you, once you have got a good idea of how various meals raise your blood sugar you don't need to make more than an occasional test just to check your progress. I stopped testing after lunch as I saw that the salad and meat or fish was well within the 2 number increase I thought would be a good limit. I tend to test after dinner more frequently so I can see if I should have dessert or not. It does mean leaving 2 hours after starting to eat, but that is perhaps a good thing, as sometimes I forget about having anything more by then.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Hartnell6

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
I'm 5ft1 and weigh 73kgs
Hi @Hartnell6 .. welcome to the forum
I don't understand why your Doc says not to test .. but if you do decide to, this may be helpful. I was also diagnosed a couple of weeks ago so I set out to buy a meter. I was given the website at: https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/ for the SD Codefree meter and I ordered one a few days ago.. it arrived yesterday. While I was waiting for this I also found the website at: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free. I have now received both, and done my first tests. My recommendation is that the TEE 2 is a little easier to understand and a bit more user-friendly The strips and lancets are relatively cheap and there's a free USB lead and CD programme for recording and monitoring your results .. the freephone support number (if required) gets you through to folks who are friendly and helpful. I don't know yet whether my Surgery will provide the strips etc on prescription .. but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I will be able to manage them