Before "seeing the light" & moving to a lower carb. diet my medication was:-
4 Metformin 500mg/day
2 Gliclazide 80mg/day
1 Alogliptin 12.5mg/day
Then with better control, HbA1c reduced to 45, medication was reduced to:-
3 Metformin/day
1 Gliclazide/day
1 Alogliptin/day
Now addional control has given a HbA1c of 42 & additional medication reduction agreed to by nurse/myself to :-
2 Metformin/day
1 Gliclazide/day
1 Alogliptin/day

The question is, I think, what impact will this latest reduced medication have on my most recent HbA1c figure of 42?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your control. That is excellent. :)

All you have lost in the recent medication review is 1 Metformin. To be honest, you could lose all of them and see very little difference. It is the other drugs that are helping you. Metformin is a mild drug that does little to reduce BS levels. It does help a bit with insulin resistance, and helps to reduce the amount of glucose the liver produces. It is mainly an appetite suppressant, so may help a bit if you still have a lot of weight to lose..

johnoo

Well done on your control. That is excellent. :)

All you have lost in the recent medication review is 1 Metformin. To be honest, you could lose all of them and see very little difference. It is the other drugs that are helping you. Metformin is a mild drug that does little to reduce BS levels. It does help a bit with insulin resistance, and helps to reduce the amount of glucose the liver produces. It is mainly an appetite suppressant, so may help a bit if you still have a lot of weight to lose..
Blue,
Many thanks for the help.
My BMI is 24, which is said to be OK for my age, so weight is no problem.
I'll just keep check on the BS & see what happens.
Thanks again

Reactions: Bluetit1802