In remission?

les74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I was diagnosed in June on a reading of 48 hbA1c in June this year. I went on a low carb diet and have lost just under 3 stones in 5 months. My latest reading is 39 hbA1c. I'm still registered but wondered at what stage I can be considered to be in remission. How reliable is the 48 cut off level?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So your diagnosis was right on the threshold of pre-diabetic and diabetic.

Although your latest A1c puts you in the "normal range", I can imagine that if you were to revert back to your pre-diagnosis eating habits/lifestyle that you would end up back in the diabetic range in terms of HbA1c.

I'm not sure what you mean by reliable with respect to the 48mmol/mol? It's the figure that medical professionals have deemed to class you as a diabetic and will unlikely change.

If you mean how reliable is the HbA1c test results, then that's a completely different question altogether. There are some factors which can affect results - however, the HbA1c test is really the best indication we have to how our BG is behaving over a decent length of time.

Reactions: callyandy

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is generally accepted that if you maintain non-diabetic levels without the aid of medication for a certain period of time, you may be invited to be removed from the register. At my surgery the "certain period of time" is about 18 months but we are kept on their "at risk" register so they can continue to keep an eye on us, albeit at less frequent intervals.

Very well done on your achievement so far. :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Ive had non diabetic HbA1c's for the last 7 years but I'm still diabetic as far as I know, my doctor has never mentioned that I am no longer diabetic and TBH I'm not bothered one way or the other in fact it helped me get an increased pension annuity so Im glad to be diabetic, I'm 65 next week.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was diagnosed in June on a reading of 48 hbA1c in June this year. I went on a low carb diet and have lost just under 3 stones in 5 months. My latest reading is 39 hbA1c. I'm still registered but wondered at what stage I can be considered to be in remission. How reliable is the 48 cut off level?

I think it is not that reliable,my latest number is 34, but if I don´t excercise a lot really a lot my morning blood glucose do creep upwards and I can´t eat more than 80 grams of carbs a day... I think noone is cured really before one can eat like 400 grams of carbs without a general raise in basal blood glucose over the next many hours and coming days

VictorVillalobos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
First congratulations!!!

I guess your question is: how much can we rely that a cut-off point of HbA1c < 48mmol/mol is free or risk for diabetes?
I am also in remission, and doing research on this subject. If you have achieved that nice levels, you are eligible to go to the next level, like a game. Ready?

Second level. Your taks is to show that your body is again able to clear 70g of glucose in two hours (a 2h OGTT). See the bottom for details.
Can you do it outside of the diabetic range after 2hours? GREAT !

Third level. Show that your body is able to pass the 2h OGTT outside of the prediabetic range. Can you do it? GREAT !

Fourth level. Show that your body is able to graph a 2h OGTT curve similar in cusp and form to a normal person. That likely means you have now recovered first phase insulin secretion to a great degree. Can you do it ! GREAT !
...and more levels unlocked after you achieve these ones !

Your tools:
Diet, low carb, slow carb, nice fats
Fasting: 12h, 16, 24h intermittent, 7 day fast. Buchinger method is in my opinion one of the best.
Exercise: walking, high intensity interval training, jogging, weight lifting, etc.
Resting: 6-9 hours nice sleep
Drugs: we are here for the long run. If you need to use drugs to heal your body use them! who cares that now you are not "in remission". For a suggested pharmacological protocol give to your physician this reference.

1.​
DeFronzo RA. From the Triumvirate to the Ominous Octet: A New Paradigm for the Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Diabetes. 2009 Apr;58(4):773–95.

Hope you find it amusing. but I am serious as well.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But I would advise even if the doctor says all is fine, don't stop checking your blood glucose, and weight, as things may change in the years ahead.

That is an excellent advice.