Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advice as there was a bit of an issue at work today.

I'm a lifeguard and while scrubbing changing room floors today I had a minor hypo. I didn't test though I just went and grabbed my protein shake and banana. The carbs in the shake being adequate enough to fix it.

My line manager decided no one should ever be in the staff room unless they are on a break. This is fine, but I couldn't help it. He decided to come over and tell me he was going to discipline me. I told him I was having a hypo but instead of just leaving it at that he made up some **** about me lying to him about being in the changing rooms when I wasn't. I had simply said we were "way ahead of him" when he asked if we had started cleaning.

I feel this was so he could get me for something as he is on a bit of a power trip. He also accused me of leaving the cleaning cupboard door open when I didn't and has "made it his goal to get me sacked" which I think was because I was sticking up for myself. I told him I was going to take out a grievence and take it to the facility manager but he has a lot more power and influence than me. He told me to just remember who Is in the management team.

I may have also told him he was a poor manager but this was in private and I was angry.

He was quite aggressive from the minute a started to defend myself.

I'm worried this is going to go a lot further than it needs to and I'm going to end up out of a job. I just want it all to be dropped and forgotten about.

All advice is much appreciated :)

Thanks
Craig Kerr

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Chuck him the deep end with a mop up his .....

Reactions: 6 people

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Haha, I'd love to. There is currently another collegue putting in a grievence. He is a relatively new manager who does things by the book, he loves to give folk into trouble for the smallest of things.

Reactions: 2 people

iScream

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you should put in a complaint that he is discriminating you for being Diabetic. If he wants to be a *****because you don't get along - be the bigger *****.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys,

I'm a lifeguard and while scrubbing changing room floors today I had a minor hypo. I didn't test though I just went and grabbed my protein shake and banana. The carbs in the shake being adequate enough to fix it.

My line manager decided no one should ever be in the staff room unless they are on a break. This is fine, but I couldn't help it. He decided to come over and tell me he was going to discipline me. I told him I was having a hypo but instead of just leaving it at that he made up some **** about me lying to him about being in the changing rooms when I wasn't. I had simply said we were "way ahead of him" when he asked if we had started cleaning.

I feel this was so he could get me for something as he is on a bit of a power trip. He also accused me of leaving the cleaning cupboard door open when I didn't and has "made it his goal to get me sacked" which I think was because I was sticking up for myself. I told him I was going to take out a grievence and take it to the facility manager but he has a lot more power and influence than me. He told me to just remember who Is in the management team.

I may have also told him he was a poor manager but this was in private and I was angry.

I'm worried this is going to go a lot further than it needs to and I'm going to end up out of a job. I just want it all to be dropped and forgotten about.

Thanks
Craig Kerr
Initially, I woud send an email to HR, just informing them of the incident, and asking it be logged, with no further action at this stage. If they ask why you want that to happen, you can just say there have been a few uncomfortable instances where you feel there is the potential for a blow up, and would like your time/date evidence logged, on record.

If your colleague is submitting a grievance, somebody somewhere will probably raise an eyebrow if there is staff disquiet with the same manager, but at least you have something there, should you need to go formal in the future.

Grievances are important and valuable processes, but also I stressful and do little to build entente cordiale between the parties. It usually leads to one or other party moving on, as there will almost certainly be a winner and a loser at he outcome stage.

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Thanks for the replys guys. I'm looking for a career change anyway, well more like a career start. Been offered a position to help me get into my chosen field but it's only 5 weeks long. It's through an agency though and they are going to try and get me more work on the back of that until I have enough experience for a permanent position.

I'm happy in the knowledge that he will never progress and will always be ***** at his job!

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i agree put a complaint in about him discriminating about your condition, ************** !!! they can be quite scary as it is dont let the idiot get away with it you have rights use them xx

Last edited by a moderator:

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
I've got a meeting with my facility manager tomorrow so will see his that goes. Could be interesting. I don't like all this hassle. I'm the kinda guy that enjoys a quiet easy life lol

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is discriminatory and illegal. You need to record the incident (and any others) in writing and you need to take this to your employer and explain the situation. They will back you. They will not want a unfair dismissal or discrimination case on their hands!

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
My old dear thinks HR will give this a wide berth as like you say the wouldn't wanna be dealing with a case like this. My line manager has taken my side (it was the other duty manager who was shift manager yesterday)

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Theres a company, i think its called acas? Where you can log issues with work. Then if you get unfairly dismissed they can help you out. Im not 100% sure if this is all correct. Someone I know mentioned it a while back..

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Yeah they have a helpline I was gonna phone but gonna see how this plans out 1st. I can't see any reason for them to sack me because I've not committed gross misconduct. I imagine I would need a warning 1st

Steven1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

Thanks
Craig Kerr
You're doctor will be more than happy to write you a letter explaining what medication you are on what you're symptoms are it's also a good idea to have a letter printed if you fly to show customs what you're carrying

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
The thing is the other three managers and my FM understand my condition. I've worked there 6 years and I was diagnosed when I worked there. It's just this one bloke!

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I say we go round with pitchforks..

But in all seriousness I work in a place that literally has more managers than departments. I see them come and go. Egotrips usually leave for pastures new..

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
He was going to pin something on me last night regardless of what happened. He loves to "performance manage" people. And I can't believe he would try to get people to change their story of what happened.

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree, dont let it rest....go to your HR person and put it in writing....you may not want to make an issue out of it, but u want it on your file.

Dusty13

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Surely you will be covered by the Disability Discrimination Act, he hasnt got a leg to stand on......I like the swimming pool/mop idea personnally