Induction changed to caesarean!

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had a scan today (36 weeks) and my baby is measuring 10.4lbs so the doctor has changed my induction to a caesarean instead.

I've got my pre op this Friday ready for the operation next Friday.

I've never had an operation before so I don't know what to expect.

Can anybody enlighten me please?

I'd like to know
1. What do I do with my pump during the procedure? I'll attach it to my back so that its out of the way but do I run a normal basal or change it?

2. Steroid injections. Could somebody explain these to me please? I'm aware that I need to stay in overnight for this. Is it one night or more than one? Again, basal rate?

3. Has anybody successfully breastfed after a section?

4. How did your bloods behave after the section? Were there more hypos or highs?

Sorry about the long complicated post, I'm struggling to get my head around things. The doctor said that if I try to give birth naturally then there is a high risk the babies shoulder will get stuck which could lead to loss of oxygen and brain damage so my head is in a bit of a swim after hearing that.
I'd just about got used to what happens in an induction and now I've got to get my head around this instead!

Thanks in advance
Claire x

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wasn't diabetic when I had my babies so I have no idea but just want to wish you good luck! That's a bloody good weight for a baby and c-section sounds like the best option (diabetes aside) as at that size, it would smart a bit!! xx
Thank you :)
I know, when the lady who scanned me told me the size it did make me worry about giving birth so a part of me is glad about the section!

It's just worrying because I planned my birth plan with my DSN around natural labour and I don't have time to do another one for a section so I don't know what to expect :(

Claire x

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Obviously I can't help with your questions as I'm not due for another 10 weeks but just wanted to say good luck, I think if I'm told I'm having a section I would have the same questions as you so I'll watch this thread with interest xx

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know, when the lady who scanned me told me the size it did make me worry about giving birth so a part of me is glad about the section!

It's just worrying because I planned my birth plan with my DSN around natural labour and I don't have time to do another one for a section so I don't know what to expect :(

Claire x

First of all, don't panic :) This will be a planned section so everything can be got ready and planned out for the best for you and baby :) There's no reason why it shouldn't be a smooth birth and I understand that the actual section is over very quickly so you'll soon meet your baby.

I'm not sure if you'll be allowed to wear your pump. I would speak to yourvDSN about that. When I was in labour, I had a check in case I needed a section, and taking my pump off was never mentioned. Are you having an epidural for the section?

Having a section shouldn't stop you breastfeeding :) When I was in hospital, a number of ladies had had sections and were breastfeeding and/or expressing milk. You may feel a bit sore though, so if your able to take a feeding cushion or get advice in positioning baby, then that might help.

There are ladies here who've had sections but my baby-addled brain can't remember who! Hopefully they'll be along soon to comment.

You'll be fine {{hug}} You'll have an expert team and everything will be prepared. Make a list of questions and ask them so that you don't have any concerns and can just relax and think of meeting your baby :)

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Obviously I can't help with your questions as I'm not due for another 10 weeks but just wanted to say good luck, I think if I'm told I'm having a section I would have the same questions as you so I'll watch this thread with interest xx
Thank you,

I'd have been fine if I'd have known I was having a section from the beginning, I think it's because I've psyched myself up for the endurance of an induced labour, I've been bouncing on my birthing ball to help prepare myself (which has helped baby to drop) I've had everything planned for an induction to be told a week before that's it's all changing.
I'll sleep on it tonight and will feel better tomorrow. I'm happy so long as baby is happy I just don't like the idea of being kept in hospital for ages.
The hospital that I'm going to is mainly full of foreign people so the majority of people that will be in on the ward with me won't speak any English. I'm not racist in the slightest but it would be nice to have people in there that I can talk to whilst it's not visiting time :(

Claire x

N

NicolaB70

My best wishes and good luck to you. i can't advise as my three births were all natural and I wasn't diabetic then. My first weighed 9lb 6oz, my second was 10lb 4oz and third was four weeks early weighing 5lb 3oz. The second birth was definately the easiest and quickest!

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are bound to be worried, chick. But you need to relax as much as possible and rest whenever you can because once that baby is here you will never sleep again!! Haha.

I had natural births with both my girls. C-section wasn't an option for me but honestly, if they had offered it me, I would've gone for it! You can plan until you are blue in the face for a natural birth but it never goes the way you want it to.

At least with a c-section, it's all over and done with pretty quickly. Labour is long, tiring and I imagine plays havoc with your blood sugars.

I've got no practical advice for you but I can remember just how excited and thoroughly terrified I was when I had my first. And I didn't have the added complication of diabetes then! Once that baby is here, you will forget all about your worries.

Good luck mummy :cool:
Very true!
You've pointed out a few pros there that I hadn't thought of :)

Claire x

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
First of all, don't panic :) This will be a planned section so everything can be got ready and planned out for the best for you and baby :) There's no reason why it shouldn't be a smooth birth and I understand that the actual section is over very quickly so you'll soon meet your baby.

I'm not sure if you'll be allowed to wear your pump. I would speak to yourvDSN about that. When I was in labour, I had a check in case I needed a section, and taking my pump off was never mentioned. Are you having an epidural for the section?

Having a section shouldn't stop you breastfeeding :) When I was in hospital, a number of ladies had had sections and were breastfeeding and/or expressing milk. You may feel a bit sore though, so if your able to take a feeding cushion or get advice in positioning baby, then that might help.

There are ladies here who've had sections but my baby-addled brain can't remember who! Hopefully they'll be along soon to comment.

You'll be fine {{hug}} You'll have an expert team and everything will be prepared. Make a list of questions and ask them so that you don't have any concerns and can just relax and think of meeting your baby :)
Thank you @azure you're right.
I've got a breastfeeding pillow so I'll take that in with me, I'll have room now that I don't have to take my birth ball!

I'm not sure about the epidural, I guess I'll find out on Friday at the pre op.

Thanks about the breast feeding advice, it's nice to know that other woman have had sections and have gone on to breast feed. I'm determined to give it a good go! I'll take my breast pump in with me as well incase something happens and I can't feed it straight away. Apparently they can have breathing problems so I'm not sure what happens then.

I'll take a list of questions in with me to my pre op so then I'll have a week to get used to it :)

Claire x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My hospital,had hospital grade pumps for ladies to use on the ward. You could ask about that too maybe, and then just take your pump as a back-up. They also had sterilising units for all the pump bits and pieces on the ward :)

Yes, the breathing problems are something they watch out for with diabetes, but also with sections in general, I think (because the lungs arent 'squeezed' by a natural birth). But even if a baby needs a little bit of extra help, then the mother can still express milk (the midwives will show you how) so don't worry. I'd also say that one thing I've learned is that every baby is different. There's no magic formula to guess if a baby might need help. I've had 3 children and the one that I'd have guessed would need the most help after birth didn't need any at all!

if you're seeing a community midwife too, you could ask some general questions about sections anyway, and that should give you a good bit of information. You have a week to psych yourself up and I totally know you can do it. You've been on the ball and coped very well during your pregnancy :) Soon you'll be back here describing to other expectant mums how a section isn't anything to worry about :)

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @azure you're so kind and reassuring, that was exactly what I needed to hear.

My moms just been round to see me and she had sections with both me and my sister and has explained a few things to me so that's put my mind at ease a bit too.

I think the main thing that upset me was that when giving birth I would be kind of in control and would known what's happening and now I'll be handing that control to somebody else (I'm a control freak when it comes to my health!) and I'm not going to be able to see what they're doing.

I know deep down that everything will go fine on the day and I'm worrying about things that are out of my control.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Claire x

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @claire1991 so I've had 2 sections- first one an emergency with my daughter age2 and secondly with my twins planned now 6m.
I kept my pump on throughout with the same basal rate. I took my blood test kit in and got them to check my sugars a couple of times just in case I needed glucose through the drip (you will be cannulated anyway).
2. Steroids need to be had 12 hours apart before babies born. They are quite painful in my experience and can cause blood sugars to raise.
3. I tried to breastfeed but mine couldn't as they were prem babies but did however express for a long time.
4.hypos-a lot of them! I moved straight back to pre preg basal after delivery. I was a little high after my twins as one was seriously ill and I think it was the stress. My biggest tip would be to have your test kit and hypo treatment on your tray next to your bed where you can get to it before your partner leaves. The first few days are hard with moving about. Take lots of hypo treatments and snacks with you. I didn't need much bolus with food esp if you are breastfeeding.

Don't forget you will be nil by mouth from midnight onwards I personally didn't want to go on a sliding scale and was cannulated with a glucose prescription written up in case. They will wake you to test your bloods every hour!

Remember you need to look after you first and it can take longer to heal being diabetic.

Defo take an extra pillow and use your bed to move you up and down.

Good luck it's definitely all worth it xx

Reactions: 3 people

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

T2, and not at the time I gave birth, but I breastfed my daughter for 18 months after a c-section (exclusively for 9 months with slow introduction of solid foods starting at 9 months). Challenging at first - but completely unrelated to the c-section. I inherited my breast shape from my mother - and she was unable to breastfeed me. I also had to fight my mother (who expected me not to be able to nurse), the lactation consultant (who told me I was going to destroy my breasts the only way I was able to get my daughter to latch on - the same way she ultimately latched on for 18 months), and the hospital who was alarmed by her (perfectly normal) slight weight loss after birth . . . after all that, the c-section was a minor (mostly non-existent) bump in the road.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @claire1991 so I've had 2 sections- first one an emergency with my daughter age2 and secondly with my twins planned now 6m.
I kept my pump on throughout with the same basal rate. I took my blood test kit in and got them to check my sugars a couple of times just in case I needed glucose through the drip (you will be cannulated anyway).
2. Steroids need to be had 12 hours apart before babies born. They are quite painful in my experience and can cause blood sugars to raise.
3. I tried to breastfeed but mine couldn't as they were prem babies but did however express for a long time.
4.hypos-a lot of them! I moved straight back to pre preg basal after delivery. I was a little high after my twins as one was seriously ill and I think it was the stress. My biggest tip would be to have your test kit and hypo treatment on your tray next to your bed where you can get to it before your partner leaves. The first few days are hard with moving about. Take lots of hypo treatments and snacks with you. I didn't need much bolus with food esp if you are breastfeeding.

Don't forget you will be nil by mouth from midnight onwards I personally didn't want to go on a sliding scale and was cannulated with a glucose prescription written up in case. They will wake you to test your bloods every hour!

Remember you need to look after you first and it can take longer to heal being diabetic.

Defo take an extra pillow and use your bed to move you up and down.

Good luck it's definitely all worth it xx
Thanks for that Sarah, congrats on your babies!
I'm pleased you managed to keep your pump, that's what I'm hoping for.

Did you have to stay in over night with the steroid injections? How many did you need?

I'm planning on expressing if I can't breastfeed too.

I'm going to be doing a food shop before I go in so will stick up on lots of hypo treatments to take with me.

Thanks again x

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
T2, and not at the time I gave birth, but I breastfed my daughter for 18 months after a c-section (exclusively for 9 months with slow introduction of solid foods starting at 9 months). Challenging at first - but completely unrelated to the c-section. I inherited my breast shape from my mother - and she was unable to breastfeed me. I also had to fight my mother (who expected me not to be able to nurse), the lactation consultant (who told me I was going to destroy my breasts the only way I was able to get my daughter to latch on - the same way she ultimately latched on for 18 months), and the hospital who was alarmed by her (perfectly normal) slight weight loss after birth . . . after all that, the c-section was a minor (mostly non-existent) bump in the road.
Thanks for that, I'm pretty determined to do it and haven't brought any formula. I thought if I don't buy it then when times are hard and I'm tired I won't be tempted to just switch.

My plan is that if breastfeeding doesn't work then I'll express instead.

Thanks for letting me know how you got on :)

Claire x

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that, I'm pretty determined to do it and haven't brought any formula. I thought if I don't buy it then when times are hard and I'm tired I won't be tempted to just switch.

My plan is that if breastfeeding doesn't work then I'll express instead.

Thanks for letting me know how you got on :)

Claire x

My experience is that it is best to push a bit longer at breastfeeding, rather than switching/supplementing too early. It is much easier for the baby to get milk from a bottle than from you - so sometimes babies who start on a bottle don't want to put the energy into nursing once they know there's an easy option out there. (At least look into finding bottles that are more challenging to nurse from.) Of course, you could have the opposite problem - for 9 months my daughter refused everything but me, which meant she had to go everywhere I did for a second 9 months! ;)

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for that Sarah, congrats on your babies!
I'm pleased you managed to keep your pump, that's what I'm hoping for.

Did you have to stay in over night with the steroid injections? How many did you need?

I'm planning on expressing if I can't breastfeed too.

I'm going to be doing a food shop before I go in so will stick up on lots of hypo treatments to take with me.

Thanks again x
Hi you will have to stay in the night before at least I think so they can monitor you whilst your nil by mouth. You get 2 steroids 12 hours apart.
On the breastfeeding it wasn't through a lack of trying plus 2/3 of mine ended up in special care and intensive care. The twin that I had with me I tried to bf but she wouldn't and opted to give a formula feed as a. Milk hadn't come in and b. My older daughter had zero blood sugars and had to get iv glucose and didn't want that happening. In the end my twin was tube fed for 2 weeks anyway.
I expressed for a long time however it's really hard to do that.
I went home discharged with my older daughter bf latched with one breast and a nipple shield I ended up in tears and she was screaming. It was awful so I would actually recommend you do have a couple of bottles sterilised and you can get the ready made formula which you can keep for weaning later anyway if you don't need them. You have to do what's right for you. Some ladies can and some can't. I was devastated with my older daughter when she couldn't. Plus remember your hormones and blood sugars will prob be a bit all over the place and managing them too can be hard.
hopefully you will work out what's best for you and baby xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Had a scan today (36 weeks) and my baby is measuring 10.4lbs so the doctor has changed my induction to a caesarean instead.

I'd like to know
1. What do I do with my pump during the procedure? I'll attach it to my back so that its out of the way but do I run a normal basal or change it?

2. Steroid injections. Could somebody explain these to me please? I'm aware that I need to stay in overnight for this. Is it one night or more than one? Again, basal rate?

4. How did your bloods behave after the section? Were there more hypos or highs?

Sorry about the long complicated post, I'm struggling to get my head around things. The doctor said that if I try to give birth naturally then there is a high risk the babies shoulder will get stuck which could lead to loss of oxygen and brain damage so my head is in a bit of a swim after hearing that.
I'd just about got used to what happens in an induction and now I've got to get my head around this instead!

Thanks in advance
Claire x

Hi Claire, well, it's nearly here and I'm sure you are a little anxious but excited too:)

Even though I had a cesarean and a steroid injection, I can't answer your questions. But, the steroid was given in my leg and yes, it was painful, but necessary.
Wishing you all the best and I can't wait to hear your baby news soon. I'm sure your partner will be there to watch the babies arrival and there for you with love, support and reassurance.
Lots of love and best wishes x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Claire x

Apparently, the bigger the baby, the less feeds it wants ( smaller size baby, more, but smaller amounts)
hospital nurse told me this.

Reactions: 5 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi you will have to stay in the night before at least I think so they can monitor you whilst your nil by mouth. You get 2 steroids 12 hours apart.
On the breastfeeding it wasn't through a lack of trying plus 2/3 of mine ended up in special care and intensive care. The twin that I had with me I tried to bf but she wouldn't and opted to give a formula feed as a. Milk hadn't come in and b. My older daughter had zero blood sugars and had to get iv glucose and didn't want that happening. In the end my twin was tube fed for 2 weeks anyway.
I expressed for a long time however it's really hard to do that.
I went home discharged with my older daughter bf latched with one breast and a nipple shield I ended up in tears and she was screaming. It was awful so I would actually recommend you do have a couple of bottles sterilised and you can get the ready made formula which you can keep for weaning later anyway if you don't need them. You have to do what's right for you. Some ladies can and some can't. I was devastated with my older daughter when she couldn't. Plus remember your hormones and blood sugars will prob be a bit all over the place and managing them too can be hard.
hopefully you will work out what's best for you and baby xx
Thanks for all the info it's really helping :)

Please don't think I thought you didn't try to bf! This is my first baby so I don't know the facts, quite frankly I could be living in a fantasy world with all of my plans!

Thanks again!
Claire x

monimoni

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I'd like to know

Thanks in advance
Claire x
OK so I am a type 1 diagnosed in 1986 at the age of 3. I have had laser treatment on my right eye in 2007. Then foot ulcers on both feet in 2008 healed by 2013. Also a charcot fracture in 2010 which happened whilst on holiday. This is an ongoing condition. But I still managed to have my beautiful girl in 2014 pretty conception was fab great support. So now here's the interesting bit at 30wks I had colistasis itching from head to toe and my bm's would not come down from 13. So I was scanned baby was fine liver was fine just a gallstone!! Then 3wks later I woke up busting for the loo my waters went. 33wks and 4days I rushed to the hospital only to wait 47hrs in agony b4 the consultant offered me a c-section which I swore I wouldn't have. Anyway they had me on a sliding scale just in case but I still had my pump attached during my c-section to my thigh. My baby girl was fine she weighed 6lb 9oz she has just turned 2. I am having a planned section next time planning to start pre conception early next year. I am sure everything will be fine and a tip for aftercare of your wound, wear a sanitary pad against your wound to stop your underwear rubbing. Hope this helps don't worry your not alone. Good luck