Induction hobs and pumps warning

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi
Is any fellow pump user out there cooking on an induction hob?

We just bought and installed a new kitchen with a Neff Induction hob.....instructions say that Insulin Pump users should not use....

Great excuse not to do anymore cooking on the hob... However, just wondered whether anybody has so far experienced any problems when using the pump and an induction hob?

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
We have had an induction hob for over a year now and I've been using a pump for 4 months. No problems that I have encountered. Hope this helps

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Did it say actually say anything in your instructions ... Quite big lettering in ours......that heart pacemakers and insulin pump users must not use them?

iHs

Something to do with strong magnetic fields.........

Take pump off when doing the cooking ?????

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's an interesting one DD, I'd never thought about it.
Google turned up that there are lots of manufacturers warning about this. It is obviously a required warning but it varied some said implanted insulin pump and some just said insulin pump. They are somewhat different.

However, DUK does warn against there use saying that they can affect the pump's motor and to contact the manufacturers of your pump.

I found the Medtronic leaflet for people with pacemakers, they are told to keep the device (ie the bit of their body it's implanted in)
2 feet away from induction hobs but they are also told that electronic body fat scales aren't recommended and that they should keep lots of ordinary devices like hairdryers and electric hand mixers 6inches from the device.

(Google scholar also turned up lots of papers on the risk to cardiac implants and it seems that many trials didn't actually find any interference. I couldn't find any trials for insulin pumps)

Edit: OH has just pointed out that our electric kettle is an induction one. He'll have to make all the tea and coffee from now on :wink:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Whats the brand n model of induction kettle, i getting one too!!!

That'll be me totally banished from kitchen.

Actually... Our poor kitchen chap this morning... His face was a picture...... We've had so much go wrong with having new roofs, windows, woodworm, bathroom etc... That every tradesman is warned (after acceptance of quote) that we are bad luck!! Kitchen lovely, superb... Besides huge fridge stopped working day we moved it, and then too big for space... All sortable....
Then poor guy turned up this morning ... And his face when he read instructions was sheer horror... Not his fault of course... But he must have been thinking 'oh s**t she really is customer from hell!!!!

Just wish this was more visible as a medical alert and appliance alert.. It wasnt till hob fitted and reading instruction.... God help me... If I was a man... They never read instructions!!!!

Hey ho.... At least a warning to other pump users, if nothing else!!!

First full cook tomorrow night.... Hubby will let you know if I have bad effects!!!!!

DDx

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Found this on Diabetes UK:

Would I wear an insulin pump all the time?
Insulin pumps are usually worn 24 hours a day. They can however be disconnected for a short time if necessary, eg during some contact sports (see below).

You should not expose your insulin pump to strong magnetic fields, such as those generated by induction cookers and hobs, and MRI equipment. They can damage the part of the pump’s motor that regulates insulin delivery, possibly resulting in over-delivery and severe hypoglycaemia. Contact your pump manufacturer for more details.

Reactions: sassycat

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
The cardiologists issue the same warning if you opt for a pacemaker or implanted combined defibrillator and they now include induction charging points for portable IT equipment.

ClaireJC74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
To all those saying they haven't had a problem so far ..... how many times have you found yourself speeding and not got caught? Does that mean there's no danger? Or left a pan on the stove, been sidetracked, then come back to dry pan, just before it sets the smoke alarm off .. no danger there? Before car seats, many a child was left loose in the back while Dad was doing 70mph down the motorway... it was only when an accident happened and little 'Timmy' was ejected through the windscreen that he was hurt ... was there no risk there? I want to know if I'm safe with an induction and what risk is attached?

Last edited:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My body gave up with being able to tolerate cannulas.. dont think this was induction hob induced.. but who knows... it may have been..

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To all those saying they haven't had a problem so far ..... how many times have you found yourself speeding and not got caught? Does that mean there's no danger? Or left a pan on the stove, been sidetracked, then come back to dry pan, just before it sets the smoke alarm off .. no danger there? Before car seats, many a child was left loose in the back while Dad was doing 70mph down the motorway... it was only when an accident happened and little 'Timmy' was ejected through the windscreen that he was hurt ... was there no risk there? I want to know if I'm safe with an induction and what risk is attached?

No that is not in the same category. Its more a akin to using a mobile while flying, they are probably safe and wont do any damage, in fact I know and have seen a few people using them mid flight. But there is a theoretical risk that it could interfere with something and bring the whole aircraft down. Rather not risk it.

Another examples is hospitals, you used to not be able to use a phone inside a hospital for the same reason (although you are now, or at least you could when I was in).

But the risk is like dropping it, you could drop it 10000 times and nothing is broken or just once and it breaks. Its basically covering there ****. If one did break and overdose a user they would be in big trouble.