Infection and Blood Sugars

Janr20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needlephobia giving insulin
hi T2 using insulin. Recently had a chest infection. Blood sugars started increasing and higher doses of insulin required for both NovoRapid and Lantus insulin. Is this normal ? When should I contact my doctor ?

Janr20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needlephobia giving insulin
Morning blood sugars 6-8 Evening Meals before meals 13+ usually 9 . Bedtime 14 -20 normally 8 -10.

How do I tag in the people you recommended? New to forum

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
hi T2 using insulin. Recently had a chest infection. Blood sugars started increasing and higher doses of insulin required for both NovoRapid and Lantus insulin. Is this normal ? When should I contact my doctor ?

Hi. It is certainly not unusual for infections to increase BS levels. A number of antibiotics can also do this. I am on immuno suppressants for life post transplant which leaves me open to infections. I've had about half a dozen in last 12 months..some more aggressive than others... and each time my level has increased..BUT not quite as high as the 20mmols you mention in you other post. That would be too high for me t feel comfortable about regardless of infection...I would call my GP with those kind of readings, and I am not on insulin or medication for diabetes but rely solely on diet.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Frequently, viral and bacterial infection, along with fatigue can cause a rise in glucose levels. When the body is under duress, the liver will produce extra insulin as a way to gear itself for a stressful event.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, yes this is very normal with diabetes. I'm just dealing with a sinus infection myself and my sugar levels usually go quite high with infection and also with pain. I think it has to do with your body being stressed that causes this reaction. I definitely bolus a lot more when I'm sick and I tend to increase my basal by 2 units also and then drop that back down afterwards. I do that though on advice from my endo about what to do when sick.... his advice was increase by 2 units at a time. But even with me increasing my overall insulin I still can get high readings. I find on average my sugar is 3 mmol higher than usual... sometimes even higher than that.... but usually 3 mmol minimum. Eg. if I get a 5 in the mornings usually, when sick I get an 8 instead. On the same token I can hypo also when sick... so it basically can swing on me. It is frustrating that's for sure. I hope you are able to get your sugar levels down.... best also to speak to your doc about your dosages too as that's what I did. My biggest issue is pain because I live with multiple conditions that cause pain and they really mess with my sugar levels. I wish you the best. :)

Last edited: