injecting in a public place

calisto51

I always inject wherever I happen to be. If out with friends no problem they are all used to it. Never had a problem injecting in a public and I doubt if most people are aware of what I am doing. For us it's a necessary part of our lives why hide the fact?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
borderter said:
I always inject at the table before eating out and have not yet had a problem and in fact I doubt that anyone has even noticed :?

That's good to hear! :)

Just the once did I have someone look in disgust as I was injecting my insulin, I was secretly willing him to open his mouth to put him in his place but he never went there :twisted:

SuzanneGarvey

I always inject wherever I am and up to yet have never been told not to. I agree Witt he not goin to the loo to do it, it's disgusting and unhygienic, I has every small children and I can't be locking us all away in a cubicle somewhere , there would be no space for it. I am as discreet as I can be and am ready and waiting for that one person to object! I even do my blood count at the table!

elainechi

my daughter has just started secondary school and has to inject in the medical room. the reason some girls may faint at the sight of blood or a needle! she has T1 for just over a year and hasn.t come to terms with it. my thoughts are the more people see her inject the more normal it appears.

lisaw24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have had T1 for 20 years and for several years after I was diagnosed, I did inject in the loos- as even my diabetic team told me to do this!! For the last 15 years (approx) I have been doing it wherever I am, although I do try to be discreet as possible. There has only been one occasion where I was pulled up about this. It was 10 yrs ago at work, the staff knew that I was diabetic but a colleague saw me injecting at my desk and complained to our manager. My manager then told me not to inject in public at work again (threatened me with disciplinary action!!) and in future I must go to the loos to inject. Unfortunately at that time I was young and a lot less outspoken so didn't say anything back, but if anyone now said that to me I would certainly say something. Ever since then I have still been quite conscious of other people seeing me inject, but if anyone suggests that I go to the loos to inject, my prepared answer is by asking them how would they feel if a Dr or nurse told them they needed an injection and then told them they must have this injection in the toilets?!!! don't think they'd like it!!
At the end of the day everyone needs insulin to live whether we are in public or in private, for some people their insulin is produced automatically and the rest of us have to inject it- wherever we are!

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Trouble is my first name, I love bullies as they are the only people I will stand up to. However saying all that I need to be concious of what damage I may cause for Diabetics (I don't classify myself as a Diabetic, I'm just allergic to Carbs). I posted in the public toilets thread, so I won't go over it all again, but from all experiences illicit Drug users are more respected and certainly more tolerated in Australia (where I live) than Diabetics. I was threatened with a harassment law suit if a lady even thought I was injecting at staff functions or in the office / lunchrooms, where you dispose of sharps (primarily set up for druggies, I pretend I'm a druggie and I get all the help and sympathy you could imagine - I got abused and sent out empty handed when I claimed to be Diabetic.

I'm all for being discrete because there is about 20% of the population that is diabetic and of that 10% are T1 so that means less than 1% of the population. Upset them enough and you may find the insulins and supporting equipment is removed off government subsidisation.

Although Australia does have anti discrimination laws - they are very ineffective. They do have anti race discrimination laws, that are amongst the toughest in the world. I work for a very big multi national - they tested me before I started (I drive a desk in IT in a normal open plan office) and I was open about my condition - big mistake especially seeing I passed the urine test.

i refuse to inject insulin, in the loos. i'm not a junkie, and not ashamed. i do it at the table and am very open about it. the meter is clearly visible. the other week i was in waterstones in brighton, which has a costa i was feeling very 'wobbly' so haveing a pit stop and sarnie and began to test(yes i was having a hypo) there was a cue developing for the loo, which included children. a little girl looked very curious, so i explained what i was doing, and that injecting insulin didn't hurt (i was eating more carbs than needed to get out of the hypo- was that wrong?) i was very open, and the mother was apologetic that her daughter was looking in the first place! i smiled and replied that it was ok.
what i have done however, after reading other posts, is to go on line and buy a diabetic bracelet that says i'm insulin dependant, so that i can just flash that.

A

Anonymous

I learnt very quick that you have to just inject wherever you may be... you can't always control where you're going to be at all times when you're due to eat or take your basal insulin. I inject at work at my desk (I also don't like using loos to inject). If I'm out and about I will inject wherever I may be. I inject in my lower stomach... so usually this is quite discreet anyhow. Although I must admit I've had friends and family ask me what on earth am I doing... I remind them I'm diabetic and they quickly shut up. I think at first I did try and think of others all the time... and even recently I got embarrassed as I was with a larger group all wanting to talk to me... so I waited for my food to arrive, then went off to the loos (which I didn't really want to do) and injected near the sinks. I'm reluctant to inject when I'm the centre of attention in a group.... one-on-one I'm fine. Ah it's hard sometimes isn't it. :roll:

eshaw

I must say I'm really shocked to hear about peoples experiences. When I was first diagnosed, I must say I was shy, and didn't want to do it in public, but as time has gone on (17 years) I've stopped caring. Now I usually inject where and when I need too, regardless of situation. I must be very lucky as I have never had anyone stop me or complain having done it in public, and I've done it on buses, tube station platforms, and at the table at conferences. I tend to do it through my clothes in the leg or stomach with an insulin pen (nurses would not be impressed if they knew that!) so maybe no one has noticed, or the pen makes people realise what it is.

What makes me laugh about the whole confusing it with being drug addicts thing, that people seriously think that someone is going to inject an illegal substance in front of a bunch of people in a restaurant! What is the likelyhood!? Plus I've never heard of a drug addict using a pen! Some people need to use their heads more, they are just ignorant!

I say don't let people get you down, you can't help you are diabetic, and as people have said previously, it's like taking a normal drug, just in another form of delivery. Do what suits you, forget what others think. Also I'm pretty sure that If people at work complain and insist you do it in the loo, well that's discrimination and you can do them for that.

Mileana

I'm new to insulin (few months) and I inject where I want to, really.

At work, I tend to go for a small break and do it there as I'm working in Mental Health and it could cause a bit of confusion there.

Otherwise, I turn away from people and do it. If I think it's better depending on who I am with, I inject through my clothes, but generally, I'm not shy, nor want to make a big problem of it.

If anyone asks, I'm fine with showing them what I'm doing most times, or just telling them 'I need insulin for the food to go where it's needed so I don't get unwell.'

I've had a look sometimes from someone passing by. I generally just mumble 'insulin' to them if they keep looking, but really most people don't notice - and I am still a tumbler-fumbler with my insulin as I don't have quite enough practice at being efficient, hehe.

This is Denmark, of course.

I would inject anywhere 'sensible' if I can keep my kit from contact with places I don't consider clean. Some office restrooms are clean enough - some public ones certainly aren't. I do prefer having a bit of space though as most times, I'll need 2 types.

bethan90

Wow! I've never experienced such reactions. I was diagnosed at 11yrs old. I always went in another room to inject (if at friends house for example) or loo if I was out. However, I soon realised how to be discreet and now inject wherever I am. I don't understand those who accuse people of taking drugs at the table? Do people honestly think people sit in restaurants injecting class A drugs?!

I once remember being in Tenerife with my boyfriend. I was ok doing injection out and about at home but abroad was another matter (don't know why!!). We were sat in a bar, I had ordered a cocktail so was about to get up and pop to room or toilet to inject. My boyfriend said "just do it at the table!" I was horrified, but as he said it, an elderly man on table next to us got out his injection and took his insulin:) I did the same and he gave me a knowing smile. Lol.

McMittens

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've injected in public in my stomach on a number of ocassions mainly in cafes/restaurants and haven't had a word said to me. That said I'm sure at some point (after reading this thread) someone will say something.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
On a long train journey needed to inject and did so but the guy sat next to me tried hard to ignore it and soon moved seats LOL felt like he thought I was a junkie :lol:

ReginaldD

On thing I love about my pump, being able to get it out of my pocket and type in the dose just looks like I'm playing with a phone

dwibley

I inject wherever I like, there is no law that forbids it and even if there was one, I would ignore it. If seated with people who are not family I will usually courteously explain the situation and have never had a problem.

Hannahs Mum

Hi

I work in a Jobcentre and I can understand why they would not want needles on view in a public area in view of some potentially unsavoury characters. However, we have quite a few members of staff who are type 1 and parents of type 1 children, so I would have thought that they wouldn't have minded a security officer and a member of staff with diabetic experience taking you to a private area. Maybe they just don't have that much knowledge and experience in your particular office.

SWMHO1

I inject whenever and wherever I need to, I have never been asked to leave or go to a more discrete location. If that did ever occur I would take the matter further legally, as diabetes is a recognised disability.

Once in a local restaurant I did a quick glucose check and then injected my insulin, and a lady came over to me and said I did it very discretely, and as a fellow diabetic she wished she could do the same.

Diabetes does need to be more in the public eye, and I would encourage anyone who needs to inject to do so openly. Obviously you don't have to go over the top, rolling sleeves up and making a big to do about it.

Good luck to all

sd29

I used to refuse to inject in public and hide in the toilets and feel embarrassed. Then I stopped caring and would happily inject when required as discretely as I could. In the thigh under a table cloth, talking to friends/colleagues (amazing how effective this is, simple talking deflects all attention) Now I use a pump, I mostly hide it in my bra, and do get some odd looks if I have to stop the annoying tune of fur Elise when it runs low, or bolus over breadsticks. An illuminated chest is definitely not the kind of thing you want at a work do! And then there was the date who didn't know I was diabetic and looked horrified as I went to retrieve the pump! If I got told I couldn't inject at the jobcentre, I would politely ask to have a private space provided. If that fails, ask to speak to a manager and explain that as a government body, they should be aware that as a diabetic, my needs are covered under the single equality act and I am sure DWP wouldnt like it to be known the are discriminatory against me needing to inject life saving medication! I'm no preacher, but find a little discretion and humour go a long way. Inject with confidence as the more furtive we act, the more sinister we make our injections seem. In my opinion anyway!

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Why should diabetics have to put up with people who pre-judge them, lets face it that injection saves ur life. If I am on insulin and having to inject even in a public place I will not bow down to paranoia in the general public, lighting a cig is more of offence these days. No one should feel they have to hide it is to a certain extent discrimitation and above all ignorance, people need to be educated and made aware that this will happen sometimes if I have to inject to save my life I will, not to set out deliberately to do it but if my body requires insulin then that is what I have to do. I understand those who do not wish to but dont feel you have to hide it. It is not us that have caused this but those who inject drugs to get high and above all it is not illegal to inject insulin and I wont let the few drug addicts make me afraid.

I know this sounds harsh and to a small extent I do understand drug users I was one once myself. If we hide ourselves away then people will see it as the normal and the more the paranoia will increase. Diabetics have a hard job keeping themselves in shape and well enough to do everyday things let alone worry about what someone thinks of what they are doing. Hiding brings ignorance and being open breeds understanding. If someone is going to accuse you of being a druggy without knowing the facts then surely that is their problem not ours, our problem is a matter of day to day survival and wellbeing something I used to take for granted before I discovered I had diabetes.

Bless you all

Simon aka Cobra3164

Kilted Ginger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had never considered discrete injection. I test and inject wherever I am, I've never felt the need to (or been asked to) explain. I'm actually in the pub now and just injected 10 mins ago. The only concession I do make is I always take my injection and test needles home to dispose of.
What is there to be embarassed / self consious about?