injecting in a public place

spideog

I'm surprised at the reactions that many of the people here seem to have had, quite disappointed that I never had anything similar happen to me actually as I think I'd enjoy telling the busy body where to go. :D

ronialive said:
I have even done it stood in a queue without anyone seeing. Al lot of it is about your confidence. if you are staring at what you are doing and looking suspicious - people will look. We should be able to do it by feel etc.
Hope this helps anyone concerned.

If you look like you are doing something wrong though then people watching you will assume that you are doing something wrong so I think you are right about the confidence thing when injecting. But if you look as if what you are doing is perfectly normal and acceptable, then people will leave you alone. They might be curious about what you just did but unless you are looking suspicious they will leave you alone.

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
I am more than happy to inject in public. I once was asked my an old woman when injecting in public when I was 19 'what kind of example did I think I was setting for all the kids around me' I politely replied that I was setting a very good example by not hiding away my diabetes and taking medication when I need to.

She was not happy with that answer and threatened to report me to security (I was in a shopping centre at the time). Once I finished my injecting, I told her to go right ahead and report a diabetic for taking medication and I walked away.

Lisa_87

copepod said:
Why do you need to inject in the Job Centre, unless you're eating a meal, which seems unlikely?!?

Sorry- but what a stupid thing to say. Insulin isn't just used to cover food, it does do this other amazing thing, which is 'lowering your blood sugar' if too high.....

bevvy

I am a T2 and I shoot up anywhere I try to be as discreet as possible but I will not go out if my way to please anyone ill even get others to administer it in public for me and I pop my pills too sometimes my wook colleagues jokingly call me a junkie and I said yes I am a legal junkie

Ive injected in all kinds of places, at the table in restaurants, drinking coffee in starbucks, sitting at the bus stop waiting for my bus. In 18 years I have never been told or asked not to!! Which proves to me that people who do have a problem with it are in the minority, and thats exactly what it is "their problem!!". I don't care where I am, if I need to inject I need to inject, end of discussion!!!

Mully

It's the old taboo time,just like breast feeding your looked upon as if you've done wrong to inject in public because its not the done thing in the uk

Wullie

ronialive said:
i Hve probably had a few funny looks over the years but never any major problems. We can be a very discreet diabetic - although there are some people out there who give us all a bad name. Oh Look at me etc

This is true. A friend told me he was once at a wedding where the groom "pulled out a roll of flab and injected himself at the top table" :roll:

It's like doing magic, make it look like you're doing something else (rummaging in a bag is a good one) while dialling the pen and then jab in a flash.

There's some awkward places, e.g. on an aeroplane, if you've got the middle seat :x

But what I'd really really like to have is a little 'travel pen'. One that has a max of 30 units, about 3 inches in length (matron).

I have 2 travel a lot ,initially i was hesitant ,but now m very good at taking injection without even my copassenger even noticing wat i m doing...i prefer 2 use no pinch up required needle so dat i can inject single handedly...:-D

mumof3boys

Hi, in 30 years of injecting i have never once been accosted or asked to stop (a few work colleagues made comments when injecting in the staff room, but working on a hospital ward, it was more like 'oh i didn't know you were diabetic') i have also successfully breastfed 3 children in all sorts of places without comment! Sometimes doing both 'taboo's' at the same time :)

Maybe i am just oblivious to dirty looks or muttered comments :)

Sandbox

Dislikes
BREAKFEST
Hi, All I inject before meals so the need when out comes up I do inject in public never use rest rooms why increase the chances of infections. The dinning area is a bit cleaner then the rest area and as far as being accepted never had a issue it's my health at risk.

I live in the US border town to Canada never had a issue in Canada either

serendipity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
I havn't ever Injected in public, probably because I'm worried someone might see the needles and if they have a phobia :(
Highly unlikely but thats what stops me
I do however have a puff on my Inhaler if I need to as Ive never known anyone to have a phobia about one of those

daddy1

serendipity said:
I havn't ever Injected in public, probably because I'm worried someone might see the needles and if they have a phobia :(
Highly unlikely but thats what stops me
I do however have a puff on my Inhaler if I need to as Ive never known anyone to have a phobia about one of those
[lady-luck-rules ] i have had to inject in public i dont let it worry me

the.candy.man

when i was first diagnosed with the 'beetus, and first started injecting, i ddnt think about it, and after finding that a friend of mine had such a phobia of needles, that the first few times id inject and she saw, she would pass out. since then iv often made a point of injecting in a public place, and being very not subtle about it. peoples reactions are fun. they want to watch, but they dont want to be seen watching. conversations stop dead, because catching a glimpse takes over ALL their thaught processes. in a pub once i got a guy to pass out three tables over. its like a super power. not a usefull one, but still. fun. there are very few perks to diabetes. but being able to knock people out at a distance is fun.

iv only been in a few situations where iv been asked not to "shoot up", but they always back down when i say the words diabetes or insulin.

Kathryn57

I recently went to the job centre and I needed to inject my victoza the person I was seeing said no problem and I always if need be inject in public I look at it that if I don't I will be ill so I just go ahead people will always have a problem with something they don't understand I called it ignorant

in exile

Kathryn57 said:
I recently went to the job centre and I needed to inject my victoza the person I was seeing said no problem and I always if need be inject in public I look at it that if I don't I will be ill so I just go ahead people will always have a problem with something they don't understand I called it ignorant
Why not bring your injection time forward and avoid the issue?
Thats what I have done.
I stigmatise things so avoid the conflict of people gawking at me if I need to inject.

Good luck with it all

proffey

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I will inject anywhere when and as I need too. Being on 4 injections a day means I do have too quite a lot.

I work on the road and eat a lot of hotel meals. So for me I have to inject at the table. Would be stupid for me to do it before I order food. In 19 years I have only ever had 2 or three comments or strange looks.

Worst one was the waiter but after I put him straight he was so polite and apologetic and even got a few freebies lol. I understood his concern as well, lets face it his first thought was I was a junkie so he was obviously looking out for his other customers.

But that's the point, you do have to remember what it looks like to someone looking at you who is clueless about diabetics and what insulin needles and pens look like. There is always two sides to a story :shock:

TerreM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing/Anything
Why can't they test on murderers, muggers, terrorists, rather than animals. It would give a truer result. These so called people waved any rights the moment they killed innocent children people.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive never had problem with injecting in public places. For me it can be on the train or in the middle of the pavement. If i need it i take it. Ive never heard any negative comments. Once was stopped and asked if i need help. Nice :)

Shetland-Mal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
I was in an eatery in Aberdeen when I felt myself starting a hypo. I asked a member of staff where I could inject and was told "Not here! we don't allow drugs in here", I explained it was insulin for my diabetes and if I didn't inject soon she would be picking me up off the floor or calling an ambulance and I would be calling the press and my solicitor. Oh use the ******** loo then. I then sat down where I was and started to get the pen ready and was told in no uncetain times to get the **** out!. I just looked at her and did the injection them ate 5 jelly babies (as suggested in the care pack). As soon as I said I was feeling better she said oh well I will get your order now, I said No need, after those jelly babies I don't feel hungry now and walked out. I could hear her seathing behind me
I found another cafe just across the street, I must have looked out of sorts as the lady behind the counter asked if I was ok, when I explained she said sit down one tea and a ham salad sandwich on its way (No charge). Seem her son is type 2 also.