Injections for my 4 year old

iHs

For little ones...... I'm all in favour of the twice daily biphasic insulins. These are very easy to use with a 4mm needle and can be injected in the backside, leg and arms. Basal/bolus can be changed to later in life and then by choice. All that is needed is just to count the carb and dont worry about using a ratio. More happiness, better compliance.....

aman84

My brother was 5yrs when diagonised and we used to inject in the arms until when he was a teenager then started on the stomach.

Lovelylivpet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I'm 11 years old and I remember when I was 4 being held down. I used to hide anywhere I could, running away from my mum, dad and sister (sister also diabetic). However, your daughter will get used to it in the end. She'll reilise that eventhough it hurts she can cope. It took me 2-3 weeks for me to get used to my injections/pens, although for some kids it takes months. To try and help your daughter make diabetes fun : such as seening how long she take Injections without crying, then a reward for the longest time like stickers. Therefore you could make a chart which if she filled up with stickers she would be very happy. :lol: .

I'm sorry your daughter got diabetes, but the world dosn't end. She will learn to understand that.

Lovelylivpet
xxx

CambridgeLass

Hi. We were told to use, thights, bum or abdomen; arms maybe when she was older, not sure why now reading these posts.There seems to be a lot of variation so I'd say wherever your child is comfortable with. My daughter is almost 7 and she prefers her thighs. We did try her bum and she was aware it didn't hurt 'any extra' but still prefers her thighs. We went from over an hour to give an injection on diagnosis to 5 mins within a few days. 2 months in and she doesn't mind so much. The 4mm needles are so fine. Makes a big differance. Hopefully things are more settled now?

bunzorunny

Hi, how frustrating for you. I am type 1 diabetic and have been all my life 55 years and have done injections in my bottom, arms, legs, later years my tummy. It has nt done me any harm, but I think the main thing to note is to be sure to rotate the sites regularly. The other thing I have learnt is that different sites absorb the insulin faster than others. For example the tummy reacts the quickest the skinniest part acts the quickest, next is the arms and the last is the legs. Not sure about the bum. Maybe that might help. I do hope so.

Take care

Don't be afraid to challenge the nurses - they don't know everything nor do the doctors. Do research and make your own mind up from the research to you do.

Traceylh

Hi, my daughter is 5 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 3 weeks ago and we inject into her arms as long as you alternate sites its fine, I hope you are both coping ok as I know how overwhelming it is
If u ever want to chat just message me xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Deirdrekp

Hi, It was suggested to me to put a teaspoon in the freezer and apply to the (child chosen) area before injecting. The coolness is suppose to nub the area, as well as letting them feel a little. Bit in control of the situation by choosing the area. My daughter has only ever injected in the stomach.

Muddie

Hi my 2 yr old little boy was diagnosed a week ago with type 1 , we have been told to use his arms , legs , tummy and lower back/ top of bottom to inject . It's easier because we give him the choice of where he'd like his medicine so he feels in control xx

Tinytot

Hi my three and a half son was diagnosed with type 1 last week. And was told the injection sites, are arms, legs, bottom and belly. But we have to inject in a different site each time I do it. It is so distressing for them at such a young age. Hope she is ok. My heart goes out to them.