Insight rant

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love my Insight pump, really I do!

But today - for the second time - I have NOT had my lunchtime bolus thanks to the darn handset taking so long to do its business that after being distracted by my busy lunchtime I didn't actually go back to OK the 'deliver bolus?' command....... I'm 15.4 and SO CROSS.

On the plus side, the reason for the distraction (hosting a Lent lunch for 19 people - homemade soup, rolls, biccies) has raised £107.85 for church funds. But I'm still CROSS.

I normally don't eat starchy carbs, and had already had a small bowl of the low-carb soup, but I then thought I'd have a small bowl of the sweetcorn soup as well - accurately carb counted, as I'd made the darn stuff. A small bowl, but without insulin it was enough to take me from 4.6 to 15.4. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Chalking it up to experience. And I do know the frustrations of the Insight, and I don't usually find them a problem.

Feeling ropey so heading for a cuppa and a snooze (having corrected). Had more exciting things than that planned for the rest of my day off, but never mind!

:banghead:

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear of your issues today, I too have rushed and forgot to deliver just the once and its so annoying.

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad it's not just me!

The first time I did it, last year, it was soup, too - and I remember saying for hours afterwards - 'but it was JUST SOUP! Soup! Not even a Twix!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Felt so hard done by.

Feeling better now! Mostly cos a) it was a good rant and b) I'm glad it's not just me, @Chas C !

:):):)

Reactions: glavesr

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Seems to be a few issues with the Insight handset @Snapsy , sure some members have also had issues with the batteries if I'm not mistaken.

On the Omnipod Pump the final step is to 'Confirm' the bolus delivery, it's quite easy to go through the steps before that stage and forget to action the final OK/Confirm.............:banghead:

Anyway, hope you bg levels return to normal soon :)

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
ahhh Snapsy I have done that too, one morning last year when I had slept in :( went through the motions of bolusing but didn't press ok hahaha. We live and learn and hope your BS is down now

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Exactly that - was distracted and just didn't do the last button press.....

Guttingly my Libre showed a line showing I'd been over TWENTY this afternoon when I looked early this evening. Kinda wish I didn't have the means to check (in my pre-Libre days I wouldn't have had a clue how high my peaks were).

Years since I was last twenty......

Last edited:

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Snapsy - I feel 4u. Have done the same too. Lately the handset seems to be sooooo slow! Hope you're feeling better now. Well done on your efforts today - awesome amount raised

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I 'go live' on the insight pump next Wednesday.
My DSN had to send my pump back as it was faulty, so I've currently got the hospitals training pump and handset. I hoped that it was just the fact it was the training model which caused me to have to press 'OK OK OK OK' Christ OK! In order for it to deliver a bolus? It seems not! Then handset is very laggy <not real word I'm sure! I've changed the battery.
@Snapsy how do you get on combining the libre and the insight? Is it still worth forking out for if I'm on a pump and finger pricking for an accurate bolus?
Can I also ask if I've remembered this correctly:
Change cannula every two to three days
Change infusion set weekly/ or if there's a problem (is it just changed when new insulin cartridge is needed? I'm on small amounts)
Change lithium battery fortnightly
Charge handset every night.
I need a white board in my bedroom :woot:

As diabetes luck would have it, after my basal has been spot on in prep for my go live, it's now sending me low over night, so I need to try and sort it before I start on the pump on Wednesday. I guess that's where the libre comes into its own.

Can't wait to get started though!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Claire007 it will almost certainly become second nature to you very quickly!

When I started pumping I would test before doing anything (like anything at all), plus pretty much every hour as well to find out 'where I was'. I was (am) obsessed. 20+ tests a day (but I've always been over the top!).

Having got the Libre 4 months after starting on the pump my sugars are incredibly stable thanks to 'sugar surfing' and getting to grips with setting temporary basal rates for things like 'oooops, didn't have as much lunch as I'd planned, so I'll turn the tap down' and 'why the **** does exercising make me high? Oh, I know, I'll turn the tap up.'

I love the Libre, and find that it makes an albeit expensive yet impossible-to-be-without tool in my diabetes management armoury.

Re the Insight, I change cannula every three days, and I change the hosepipe only when I'm changing the cartridge, which for me is every 6-7 days. I don't change cannula just because I'm changing the hosepipe - but I due to start with as I didn't know you didn't HAVE to change the cannula every time you changed cartridge and hosepipe (so for instance if I've changed cannula within a day of a cartridge change then I just stick with the one that's there).

It feels like loads to take on board at the beginning, but you'll find it easier every day until you're an old hand!

BEST OF LUCK for going live on Wednesday! Does that mean you've had it with saline up until now? They don't do that at my clinic but it might've given me more of an insight (boom boom!) before I started.

I flipping love the flipping thing. Love it. Lots.

:happy::happy::happy:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Claire007 you might find useful what I posted in the Moderate Exercise Log earlier - if you look at the last page (69) you'll see a run-down (blimey, we're liking the puns this afternoon) of how I monitored my levels using the Libre and tweaked my pump rates at parkrun this morning.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/regular-moderate-exercise-log.83995/page-69#post-1416308

Disclaimer: I've been trialling and erring in equal measure over months! This is what worked for me this morning, having had quite a bit of experience with both the pump and the Libre.

Reactions: Claire007

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks very much for your reply. I'll take a look at your other post too, I've got the pump just filled with an air cartridge at the moment and it's not connected to the cannula, I'm experimenting with wearing the pump, inserting the cannula and just having a bit of a play around with the handset, I like predicting what the Bolus is going to be, on the whole, it agrees with me! Clever thing!

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Claire007 - I totally agree with @Snapsy regarding the Insight. I got mine last Apr & love, love, love it. It is slow at times, yes I change my cannula every 2-3 days & my insulin seems to last 4-5 days - so that's when I change the infusion set. As for the battery - I tend to change it once a month or so. The libre has been brilliant & as @Snapsy said - just an additional aid in this 'battle' with T1D! I alternate & have 2weeks' on & 2 weeks' off due to the cost. It's been invaluable though & as my DSN said its the missing piece to the puzzle. I hadn't realised I was dipping low in the night - so was able to adjust my basal. Hope all goes well - keep us posted

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Medusa41 ! My battery usually lasts for ages, but they sent out an advisory notice a couple of weeks ago saying to change it every fortnight. I'm saving the 'used' ones up as spare remote control batteries - for the TV, that is, not the pump remote!

:)

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ooh @Snapsy - good idea. Yes I do remember now. Mine also seems to last a while . I'll keep mine too for tv/DVD remote I think

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to both of you for your replies, I'll keep you posted! Just want to get going with it now :)

Reactions: Medusa41