Type 2 Insulin and weight gain

Since going on insulin over a year ago for type 2 while my sugar control is excellent I have gained 2 stone. I have tried every type of diet including liquid protein only but still the weight kept going on. I go to the gym 5 days a week I am lifeboat crew and train twice a week with call outs 24/7 and I swim on a Saturday. Just don’t know what else to try getting desperate

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have had a similar experience , I put 2 stone on in 6 months despite going to the gym. I do have very limited mobility after 2 strokes so the gym and walking is very difficult and painful ! After lots of support from my GP, my DN, and my husband. Following advice and talking to both my go and dn I have recently started a low carb plan. I’ve started at less than 75 g so have given up bread pasta rice noodles,etc and after 2 weeks i feel much better? The weight loss hasn’t started yet but the size loss has

Reactions: Nicolii

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even tried low carb but literally nothing has worked so far. Yet when my sugars were higher weight loss was easy. Frustrating

High blood sugar can cause weight loss. The sugar from food you are eating can't get into the cells, so your body thinks you aren't eating, it starts burning your body fat to keep you going, and it will eventually start burning other tissue and muscle because it thinks you are starving.

So keeping blood sugar under control allows you to put on weight lost because of high blood sugar and your body's pretty keen to rebuild its stocks just in case that happens again so it wants to lay down a bit of fat. Insulin is the hormone that lets your body lay down fat, so reducing carbs and insulin can assist with avoiding weight gain. If low carb hasn't done anything on its own you probably need to combine low carb with calorie counting. It's not the insulin that causes weight gain, it's what you are eating, so what are you eating? It could be that trying every sort of diet is putting your body into a hold onto everything kind of panic, if it thinks your going to only give it liquid protein again? You might be better off with a bit of consistency.

Protein only was my last resort when I had tried all other forms of diet. I have put on muscle mass through training but the weight gain cant all be put done to that unfortunately as I can feel the difference in how my clothes fit my waist.