Type 2 Insulin Dose When Sick

Rosiehall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I am fairly new to insulin use and am injecting Humulin M3 2 x a day.
We have a sickness bug in the house and I am feeling really rough tonight.
So do I skip tonight's injection if I can't eat?
Might sound a silly question but I would be grateful for your advice.
Thanks in advance ,
Rosie

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Rosiehall You're on a mixed insulin so that will have a part that acts immediately and a part that acts later, eg an evening injection will cover your meal and also, with the other part, cover the nighttime to keep your BS in range.

So if you miss your injection because you can't eat your meal, you'd also be missing the part of it that covers the nighttime, if that makes sense.

I was on mixed insulin when first diagnosed and I was given alternatives to eat when I wasn't well so that I still got the right amount of carbs and could take my injection as normal. We're you given any guidance or information sheets like that?

With a stomach bug, things can be hard. If you have diarrhoea and/or vomiting, you're best phoning for medical,advice.

Test your blood sugar lots as illness can affect it.

Reactions: 2 people

Rosiehall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Rosiehall and welcome to the forum.
Not an insulin user myself but will bump your post up for a reply and include a link to Sickness Rules which includes instructions for Type2 insulin users.
http://www.mydiabetesmyway.scot.nhs.uk/resources/leaflets/SickDayRulesForType2.asp

Keep us posted about how you are coping.
Take care,

CC
Thank you so much for your reply, Catherine. The link has been very useful and I have printed it off in case I need it in the future. I did take my insulin and so far my levels are ok. I will let you know how I am doing tomorrow. thanks again. Rosie

Rosiehall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Rosiehall You're on a mixed insulin so that will have a part that acts immediately and a part that acts later, eg an evening injection will cover your meal and also, with the other part, cover the nighttime to keep your BS in range.

So if you miss your injection because you can't eat your meal, you'd also be missing the part of it that covers the nighttime, if that makes sense.

I was on mixed insulin when first diagnosed and I was given alternatives to eat when I wasn't well so that I still got the right amount of carbs and could take my injection as normal. We're you given any guidance or information sheets like that?

With a stomach bug, things can be hard. If you have diarrhoea and/or vomiting, you're best phoning for medical,advice.

Test your blood sugar lots as illness can affect it.

To be honest, I have not been given much advice at all regarding illness. It has been more of me asking my diabetic nurse questions as and when they arise. I have had my injection this evening and will test more frequently until I feel better. Thank you so much for your reply. I am finding it quite difficult adjusting to insulin and working out my carbs intake. I am getting there but it is taking time. It is very reassuring to have this forum to turn to. I know this is my first post but I do normally find the answers I am looking for here so I appreciate it very much x

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hope you're feeling better soon @Rosiehall :)

When you're feeling more yourself, do ask any questions you want here. I well remember the first few weeks of insulin use. It takes a lot of getting used to, especially having to carb count and think about what you're going to,eat all the time. it does get easier :)