Insulin leaking

mealingcg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm relatively new to injecting insulin and am still trying to get my long acting dosage correct. My dosage just seems to be going up and up but I did notice today that I'm getting leakage of the insulin once I inject. I inject into my abdomen and keep the needle in for 10 seconds after injecting. I'm currently on 36 units of abasaglar - any advice as to what I am doing wrong would be very much appreciated!!!

Reactions: SWUSA_

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I keep the needle in about 15 seconds now because I noticed with the larger dose (40 units for me now) that I was getting some leakage just as you described with keeping the needle in for 10 seconds. My fasting blood glucose also started going down after I made this change so I think that is another indication that the insulin was not all being absorbed in 10 seconds but is at 15 seconds.

Reactions: noblehead

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's normal to have a tiny droplet of insulin on the tip of the needly after you remove it from injecting. However, it shouldn't be much at all.

With that much insulin, I'd consider breaking up the dose and doing two injections (one right after the other). I just switched to Tresiba and inject 16 units just before bed. I split it up into 8 units in one arm and 8 units in the other. In my case, it's probably overkill, but it works for me.

mealingcg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep the needle in about 15 seconds now because I noticed with the larger dose (40 units for me now) that I was getting some leakage just as you described with keeping the needle in for 10 seconds. My fasting blood glucose also started going down after I made this change so I think that is another indication that the insulin was not all being absorbed in 10 seconds but is at 15 seconds.
Thanks I will give that a go.

Reactions: SWUSA_

mealingcg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started splitting the dose this morning as I thou
It's normal to have a tiny droplet of insulin on the tip of the needly after you remove it from injecting. However, it shouldn't be much at all.

With that much insulin, I'd consider breaking up the dose and doing two injections (one right after the other). I just switched to Tresiba and inject 16 units just before bed. I split it up into 8 units in one arm and 8 units in the other. In my case, it's probably overkill, but it works for me.

Thanks I tried that today as thought that might help - will have to see if the figures are better in the morning. I also just read that you shouldn't pinch the skin if using 5mm needles which I do, so wonder if that would help too. I did think I was doing okay with it all, but have started really consciously checking food labels and have been shocked at the carb contents of things that I've been having so am now heading for the bewildered stage again! Thanks for the tips.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Carb consciousness is the first step in control.:)

I do not pinch but I have ample abdominal fat layer to inject into.

A

asparagusp

I''ve been keeping the needle in place for 30 seconds! I'm using BD Autoshield needles which are unreliable and have found the orange end wet indicating escaped insulin.

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Needles make a difference. The BD microfine 4mm needles are great for me. Some cheap needles that doctors like to prescribe aren't so good.

I'm thin and don't pinch at all really but do push skin gently towards the needle.
To me if it hurts at any point then I go no further as I know I have hit blood ir insulin will not be absorbed properly.

Carb counting accurately is essential. I even used to carb count onion, lettuce etc... he paid dividends. I still weigh my broccoli and buttenut squash etc. I know from top of my head that 100g of bnut squash is 18.9g.... 100g of my rachels yogurt is 14.9g.. etc. I know that if I'm having 6 melon balls in a restaurant that itbequates to about 9g. It is essential to carb count accurately. Moat of us regularly eat the same foods so irs not that hard to take the time once to figure out and write down or remember... it is the first thing you should attack.

Splitiing injections. Totally agree. Anything over 7 units I split in to two injections. I am lean though. I have skin but no fat. I normally do not need any injection above 5.5 units. I split bolus's in to two injections above 7 purely because I can feel them at that qty. probably because of being lean. If I had to do 21 units-my goodness that would be a feast!!! I would split that into three bolys injections in 3 different places. This will depend upon the person though. I would expect tolerances would be greater for persons larger than me (size 8).

If I do all the above I will stil see (sometimes) a little leakage. I don't worry on that and jyst correct after. The only. Time I worry is if I see blood afterwards as I know (for me) the injections won't work at all.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm relatively new to injecting insulin and am still trying to get my long acting dosage correct. My dosage just seems to be going up and up but I did notice today that I'm getting leakage of the insulin once I inject. I inject into my abdomen and keep the needle in for 10 seconds after injecting. I'm currently on 36 units of abasaglar - any advice as to what I am doing wrong would be very much appreciated!!!

Hi,

Silly question.. But you are performing an "air shot" of a couple of units (prior to injecting.) to prime the needle??

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I do do that, would that make a difference if you didn't?

It could make your blood sugar higher if you didn't do it. So you're doing the right thing by doing an Airshot each time :)

You could try splitting your injection so you're not injecting the whole amount in one go/area but in two separate injections.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I do do that, would that make a difference if you didn't?
Well, without priming the needle you wouldn't be getting the correct dialed dosage for starters.. One wouldn't wannabe firing air under the skin either?
The question did need to be asked.. But you know this stuff already.! :D

To be fair, a slower steady pressing of the pen plunger might help with administering the 36u too?

mealingcg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for All Your Responses, I Divided The dossage today and had less leakage, also had a hypo this afternoon so do wonder if ive been doing things Not quite right for a while so dont need a dose as high as im on :)

Reactions: hawkeyeuk