Insulin levels

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya all just a query my work has requested that I send in a gp letter to state that I am Type 2 diabetic and taking metformin they also want to know about how I keep my insulin levels in check... Sorry am new to diagnosis and not had any info on how insulin levels will affect me so any advice would be grateful

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are they confusing insulin levels with glucose levels? It sounds to me as though they are. Perhaps you could query this with your employer? Or do you inject insulin?

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No I dont inject insulin and I think they are mistaking it I was wondering what insulin levels had to do with it what do I tell them am at a loss on how to explain

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glucose levels are what they must be referring to........

You are not an insulin dependent diabetic...

Why are your working wanting this information...? Its not usually the norm to go into this much detail....

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is the email forwarded to me

would ask her to put it in writing and bring a copy of the letter from her GP stating her condition and then you would need to do a risk assessment as you will need to make sure that her insulin levels are kept at a safe level, then file this on her personnel file.

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am only on metformin nothing else. How would you explain the relevance?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the email forwarded to me

would ask her to put it in writing and bring a copy of the letter from her GP stating her condition and then you would need to do a risk assessment as you will need to make sure that her insulin levels are kept at a safe level, then file this on her personnel file.

That is clearly intended to be blood glucose levels. Insulin levels are something completely different and nothing whatsoever to do with "being kept at safe levels". Insulin levels can be tested through our GPs but are never ever done routinely in the UK. I would like to bet very very few of us in the UK on this forum have had theirs tested or even know what they are unless they had them done privately for some personal reason. They are nothing to do with safety. Blood glucose levels certainly are. You need to query it.

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They have mistaken it for blood glucose but again I don't know what they want from me not really at risk of having hypos only on metformin not sure what risk they think there is?

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I dont test my blood I have a meter but haven't a clue o know how to use it but now how to read the results am all confused not sure on anything at minute

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They have mistaken it for blood glucose but again I don't know what they want from me not really at risk of having hypos only on metformin not sure what risk they think there is?

It is clear they have no idea what they are talking about. It seems to me they have homed in on the fact you are diabetic without looking at your medication and the fact you are T2 and don't inject insulin. They seem to be treating you as though you are a Type 1. Have a word with your GP and perhaps ask him to explain to your employer what your situation is.

Do you want some help with your meter?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It just sounds like they are going through the motions for a newly diagnosed diabetic.....should be over quickly.....;)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, they are confused. Tell them a T2 on Metformin is no more at risk of hypos than a non-diabetic not on Metformin.

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is clear they have no idea what they are talking about. It seems to me they have homed in on the fact you are diabetic without looking at your medication and the fact you are T2 and don't inject insulin. They seem to be treating you as though you are a Type 1. Have a word with your GP and perhaps ask him to explain to your employer what your situation is.

Do you want some help with your meter?
If you wouldn't mind not sure how often I should be testing? When? And what am aiming for I've joined slimming world and losing steady so hopefully am getting food right it's a bit overwhelming I have hypothyroidism too so trying to deal with it all

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is good to hear you are losing your weight steadily, although you may find Slimming World diets aren't suitable for diabetics as they tend to be calorie controlled rather than carb controlled. You may need to adjust the recommended diets.

Until you are certain you have found the right diet that is suitable for you, this is the best way to test:

Immediately before you eat
2 hours after your first bite
Look at the rise from before to after
If it is more than 2mmol/l there are too many carbs in that meal
The idea is to keep the rise as flat as possible, ideally under 1.5mmol/l if you can
Keep a food diary including portion sizes
Record your levels alongside the food
Look for patterns over a week or two
This will show you which are your danger foods and in what quantities
You can try the same meal again with your reduced carbs and see what happens.
This is called eating to your meter.
Be guided by your meter and what it is showing you.

Many also test immediately after getting up before pottering about doing things. This is your fasting blood glucose (FBG) but be aware it is not a reliable marker of how well you are doing in general. Many also test before bed. How often you test is entirely up to you.

I hope this helps. :)

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No calorie counting just low fat low sugar and I've reduced my carbs myself and only having brown or wholemeal pasta rice and bread when I have it thank you for the advice much appreciated

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Perhaps HR is confusing type 1 with type 2 or they have dealt with someone else in the past who had type 2 and was insulin treated, just explain to them that you don't take insulin and only take Metformin.

Mistakes happen, even in HR :)

Reactions: Juju13

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No calorie counting just low fat low sugar and I've reduced my carbs myself and only having brown or wholemeal pasta rice and bread when I have it thank you for the advice much appreciated

You are welcome. Things you must test out as suggested are the pasta, rice and bread. The wholemeal varieties have the same carb content as the white ones and will still convert to glucose in your system. You may also wish to check the carb content on all your low fat products and compare them to the real full fat ones.