insulin - no help from drs

hazelnut123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes am now 24 weeks pregnant, diagnosed at 10 weeks with question mark type 2 (Drs cant run test until after baby I here)
Anyway I'm on insulin humalog I have to take it before breakfast which I 4 until, before lunch 2, dinner 4 and the slow release at night 32.
So my day levels are good! Just fasting levels!
I've been having hypos during the night. So was advised by my diabetic baby Dr to lower the dose, which I have done from 36.
I usually inject in my stomach but only doing daytime I stomach and now do night in thigh. Would this make the insulin release slower! Or cause night hypos?

If I keep having them how low do I get my dose?

I've got the phone number for my diabetic nurse who's phone is off and my consultant ive left him 3 messages over 3 days. Nothing

Can anyone help

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you still get hypos through the night, your basal insulin dose must still be too high.

As for how low you go, you would reduce by 2 units until your hypos stop. You shouldn't reduce daily but leave a couple of days anyway between reductions.

Different sites do work in different ways. You can also use your midriff and buttocks (OK, bum, if you prefer!) Arms can also be used but I wasn't a fan and tended to go hypo.

It's quite bad that you haven't been able to contact your nurse or consultant. Do you have a diabetic clinic you can contact? If your own nurse isn't available, they could let you speak to someone else.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes am now 24 weeks pregnant, diagnosed at 10 weeks with question mark type 2 (Drs cant run test until after baby I here)
Anyway I'm on insulin humalog I have to take it before breakfast which I 4 until, before lunch 2, dinner 4 and the slow release at night 32.
So my day levels are good! Just fasting levels!
I've been having hypos during the night. So was advised by my diabetic baby Dr to lower the dose, which I have done from 36.
I usually inject in my stomach but only doing daytime I stomach and now do night in thigh. Would this make the insulin release slower! Or cause night hypos?

If I keep having them how low do I get my dose?

I've got the phone number for my diabetic nurse who's phone is off and my consultant ive left him 3 messages over 3 days. Nothing

Can anyone help

Hello,

We are not qualified to advise you on insulin doses. The doctor was correct in telling you to inject less of the slow release insulin at night. A dose of 30 is quite a lot of insulin.

So you lowered the night dose last night and still went hypo. Lower the dose more tonight to about 20 or even less. You can always inject more than 20 tomorrow night if your blood sugar level is higher than recommended in the morning. It is better to be a little too high than too low.

As a guide I am a small 9 stone lady and I inject 12 units of slow acting insulin in the thigh at night. Set your alarm to wake up around 2 or 3 in the morning to measure your blood sugar level. Have some sugar or glucose at your bedside in case you are low.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The dose of your night insulin seems quite large compared to the total daily amount of bolus food injections you are having ie 32 units compared to 10 units of bolus a day.

You haven't actually given any bg levels to see what levels you are running at.. This is very important..

Lowerin your background basal insulin may well push up your day rates....

hazelnut123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My levels are normally - waking 4.9 to 5.9 I'm meant to aim for 4.5.
After meals 4.9-6.2 and I'm meant to aim for between 4 and 7.

I have phoned the clinic and was told to speak to my consultant! They only run it on a thursday morning. Thank you for your help so far

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Those levels are very good..... Very good indeed.
Nobody can get an exact 4.5....the machines have up to 20% inaccuracy...
Your waking levels and after meal levels that you have listed are all good.
To be honest the tight, tight control is going to cause you to be more liable to hypos.
I would just keep lowering your your night insulin by a unit each night. Or perhaps have 10g snack before bed....not a sweet but say 2 ruch tea buscuits or a digestive or 1/2 a sluce of bread.
Would also recommend just doing a couple night if readings about 3am...

I wouldn't lower down to 20 with such great control during the day as this would have an immediate impact on those day levels...

Reactions: 2 people

hazelnut123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got something by my bed incase of night hypo.
Does anyone know if the injection site would make a difference?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Its stopping the hypo though.. If it was severe and they can't promise it won't be - it is a risk to yourself and baby..

So although you have something by bed... Its best to stop hypos happening.

It can do..but normally I thought thigh injections work slower... I'm not good on injection site info as I rarely use stomach in 30+ years. Bum cheecks for me so cannot express much info at all...

hazelnut123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I need to stop the hypos. I didn't have 1 last night and got bs of 4.7 which is good.
I think ill try again to get hold of my Drs. Its silly - everyday I'm trying and I literally cant get hold of anyone!

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I noticed no difference any time I used thighs for my long acting insulin.