Insulin pen training video for all levels

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am an endocrinologist specializing in education. I would love the forum's feedback on this free patient resource. It is well researched and tested on patients, but i would love the expert opinion of this blog

https://www.doctablet.com/blog/2016/12/15/insulin-pens/

Thanks!
Chris

Yeah the video is fine, probably a good into for anyone first using insulin, but really they should get all of that info face to face before they are sent off with a pen to use.

In terms of needle safety, who really cares if someone sticks themselves with the same needle they have stuck themselves with, apart from it hurts a bit? Really the issue there is not letting anyone else get a needle stick - that poor bin man isn't going to know thers nothing to worry about on the needle they just got struck by so is going to have to undergo tests and prophylactic treatment while waiting for results.

The reality is people on MDI inject 5 times or more per day so advice hold it pointing left or right etc is all nonsense when the reality of the injection will be it's lunchtime, youre squished on a train with 50 people shoulder to shoulder with you try to find a bit of skin to get a needle in, go! Or, youre at home, dinners on the job, saucepan is boiling just inject while doing the 6 other things you are trying to get done - an insulin pen party might be overselling it a bit! Also who gets prescribed an amount to take for every injection? I don't know what I'm having for dinner, or what my blood sugar will be, so it's going to be a bit of a challenge for my doctor to tell me how many units to take for it, especially when I last saw her over 3 months ago. So instructions to dial up what you have been prescribe doesn't reflect the power balance in making those dosing decisions and might make someone newly diagnosed nervous to make dose adjustments themselves.

You haven't dealt with storage of the pens, in use pen out of the fridge at room temp for 30 days, but don't leave in direct sunlight or on top of a radiator etc, maybe have a look at the info leaflet that comes with your pen for storage instructions etc.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The illustration of the needle insertion makes it look like the needle is almost parallel to the belly, which I don't believe is what is intended. Perhaps inserting a top view showing the needle perpendicular to the skin would help.

hannahrose

Type of diabetes
Carer
I am an endocrinologist specializing in education. I would love the forum's feedback on this free patient resource. It is well researched and tested on patients, but i would love the expert opinion of this blog

https://www.doctablet.com/blog/2016/12/15/insulin-pens/

Thanks!
Chris
really Chris...I would like to know, why my husband's endo dr dropped him from 20 to 9 units of lantus, JUST because I caught him sneaking food one night......low blood sugars is serious yes...but so is high....we've had to find another dr, and he had better be good! I've had it with running around...