Insulin Pump T2

dabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullying, vegetables
I was at my check up last week, and was told my control was 'as good as they could expect'. I was then asked how I felt about going on an insulin pump. I was told I might not get it due to funding restrictions as it was mainly for T1. Anyway, I had never thought much about it, simply because I knew it was a T1 'thing'. But I wonder if anyone other T2 is on a pump, and how it affects day to day life (ie. changing the cannula, adjusting doses etc). Did it make a change to your control?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There is a type 2 member on the forum who uses a pump, I've not seen him around for a while but I'll tag him anyway in the hope that he replies to your thread at some point @phil169

Reactions: GrantGam and dabbit

dabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullying, vegetables
There is a type 2 member on the forum who uses a pump, I've not seen him around for a while but I'll tag him anyway in the hope that he replies to your thread at some point @phil169
Thanks Noblehead

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @dabbit
I have been on a pump for two years now. while its not a magic bullet my control is better, but its only as good as the information you tell it (carbs/fats per meal) you have to test regularly. but I would say that for me it is the best thing for me as I never realised just how lethargic I was on my injections, my Hb1ac has gone from 117% down to 51% and I feel "normal" on it. BUT like anything its only as good as what you tell it, you have to put the work in before hand, I had to relearn my carb counting again (got very lazy with it) and had to do a food diary again, all before you get the pump. as for cannula changes they are a bit of a pain, every two to three days depending on your volume of insulin, and you have to carry spares if going anywhere in case you pull them out (done it regularly), I'm not trying to put you off but for me , its the best thing since sliced bread!!! I feel brilliant on it, no more lethargy, full of energy and sugars are now on point, with work they can be life changing, but with most things to do with diabetes we have to put the work in.

dabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullying, vegetables
@johnpol Thank you for your reply, and I apologise for the delay in replying, due to a hospital stay and various other issues.

Anyway, I appreciate your time in replying and your honesty. I'm still in two minds but am swaying towards 'not having it'. I'm not sure about whether I could have a needle in me like that while I sleep etc. Have you reduced hypos or did they stay the same?

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@johnpol Thank you for your reply, and I apologise for the delay in replying, due to a hospital stay and various other issues.

Anyway, I appreciate your time in replying and your honesty. I'm still in two minds but am swaying towards 'not having it'. I'm not sure about whether I could have a needle in me like that while I sleep etc. Have you reduced hypos or did they stay the same?
It all depends on what infusion set you want to use, the one I use has a soft canula just under the skin and another type has a small needle just under the skin, both types you will not feel. it just becomes the norm having them in, as for hypos there is no difference with them at all, if I'm honest I have fewer as I can reduce my background insulin if I need to, and you can even increase it if you have colds and the like.
hope this helps you

Reactions: dabbit