Insulin pump

elouisexxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been type 1 diabetic for nearly 2years and I'm thinking about using the pump I'm also dyslexic and didn't know if the insulin pump really that confusing. Thanks x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been type 1 diabetic for nearly 2years and I'm thinking about using the pump I'm also dyslexic and didn't know if the insulin pump really that confusing. Thanks x

Hi @elouisexxx :)

Has your clinic said you're eligible for a pump? Could they let you try out using one (not connected to you) so you can see if the display and instructions suit you ok?

elouisexxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @elouisexxx :)

Has your clinic said you're eligible for a pump? Could they let you try out using one (not connected to you) so you can see if the display and instructions suit you ok?

I didn't know you had to my eligible for the pump why is that? And I don't know I've never spoke to the doctor about it I just wanted to see people's opinions about it before wasting he's time talking about it x

Reactions: tircoed

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

elouisexxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you its just I suffer depression and every time I do my injection it makes me really upset and I have to do it four times a day so I thought if I had the pump it would make me as upset, if that makes sense x

Reactions: tircoed

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
Thank you its just I suffer depression and every time I do my injection it makes me really upset and I have to do it four times a day so I thought if I had the pump it would make me as upset, if that makes sense x

I also had problems with taking injections - it was horrible for me to have to take so many injections a day. I couldn't deal with it (so I didn't.)

The pump did nothing to solve the emotional problems I had with diabetes - but it sure made taking insulin a hell of a lot easier!! I still cringe before inserting a new site, but it doesn't come close to how difficult it was for me to sit there and force myself to inject myself. Not just once every 3 days (that's the recommended guidelines for changing your pump site) but every single time before I wanted to eat something. For me, it was more than 4 times a day...

For me, using the pump isn't complicated at all, but I have no experience with dyslexia. Is it the type of thing that you will be able to get used to using the pump once you know how to use it?

I will second what the others have mentioned. Do bring it up to your health care team, and in regards to the pump being something to consider - in my opinion it certainly should be considered. It made my life a hell of a lot easier and I'm grateful for that every day.

Reactions: noblehead

elouisexxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also had problems with taking injections - it was horrible for me to have to take so many injections a day. I couldn't deal with it (so I didn't.)

The pump did nothing to solve the emotional problems I had with diabetes - but it sure made taking insulin a hell of a lot easier!! I still cringe before inserting a new site, but it doesn't come close to how difficult it was for me to sit there and force myself to inject myself. Not just once every 3 days (that's the recommended guidelines for changing your pump site) but every single time before I wanted to eat something. For me, it was more than 4 times a day...

For me, using the pump isn't complicated at all, but I have no experience with dyslexia. Is it the type of thing that you will be able to get used to using the pump once you know how to use it?

I will second what the others have mentioned. Do bring it up to your health care team, and in regards to the pump being something to consider - in my opinion it certainly should be considered. It made my life a hell of a lot easier and I'm grateful for that every day.

Thank you so much I've been doing it nearly 2years and still terrified to do it. In the evenings I wait until the last minute to do it cos I hate it so much

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
Thank you so much I've been doing it nearly 2years and still terrified to do it. In the evenings I wait until the last minute to do it cos I hate it so much

All I can say is, I totally relate. I was on injections for 12 years before getting the insulin pump. Changing from just 2 times a day injections to multiple rocked my boat (to say the least). I dealt with that fear, too. Are you in therapy? Therapy saved my ass.

Keep reaching out - we're all in this together!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Oh yeah, I remember that stage. I spent a memorable two hours sitting in my dad's dining room with tears streaming down my face, unable to even get the needle close to my skin. You are not alone. I got better at injecting by talking about it over and over, with my psychiatric nurse and my diabetes nurse, so do bring it up with your health care team.

If you can't handle injections, are you going to be OK with being permanently attached to a pump? That was what kept me away from a pump for years, the thought of tubing attaching me to a little boxy machine. There's more bad thoughts, but I don't want to start you on a new phobia

The dyslexia is going to slow you down to begin, at least (bet that's not a surprise), but if you can manage the newer mobile phones, my pump isn't more complicated than that.