Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Been provisionally told that I may be eligible to go on a pump, I'm a little apprehensive but excited at the same time, been injecting insulin for 33 years so won't miss the injections one little bit.

Reactions: 22 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Been provisionally told that I may be eligible to go on a pump, I'm a little apprehensive but excited at the same time, been injecting insulin for 33 years so won't miss the injections one little bit.
Eeee congrats? Welcome to the club lol?

Reactions: 2 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Nothing ventured nothing gained! If you don't like it you can always return to your pens :)

They'd have to fight me to get mine off me though haha

Reactions: 4 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Go for it,I did,roll on next March and I start a new chapter in my diabetic life.

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders

Nice. Congratulations. I had the same in July after almost 35 years on injections. I got used to it very quickly;)

iHs

Insulin pumps are very life changing and will require a fair amount of attention to getting the settings correct and this might be weekly, or forynightly. The lovely part is being able to use the pump to deliver the insulin and not a pen.

have a good read of all the threads in the pump forum and then youll be prepared and be able to cope ok.

D

Deleted member 83869

Insulin Pump = best thing ever! My control has improved massively despite people claiming that I shouldn't have been put on a pump....I think I'd rather have one than have a hba1c of 114 or more!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Fantastic news, very pleased for you.
Everyone is apprehensive before they start, it's natural.
Please invest in pumping insulin by John Walsh it's a God send for easy to absorb information.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks everyone, much appreciated :)

@CarbsRok, I've ordered the book today, looking forward to having a good read of it to get some background knowledge, but will......as @iHs suggests have a good read around the pump section of the forum.

Thanks again people, the support here is what makes this forum great.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Wow, that's great news, I'm so pleased for you, it could be a whole new diabetes chapter.

Good luck and all the best :)

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's fantastic news noblehead. I'm sure you really won't miss those pesky injections ;)

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really pleased for you, going on the pump was the best thing that's happened to me re. my diabetes in 39 years of MDIs. I hope it works out for you.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Niiiice! So happy for you!
Although you were my "idol" on the forum - an "old-timer" that has good control on MDI :) someone to look up to :)

May I ask why are they considering a pump? Is it a control problem, absorption,...?

Padders91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was thinking of going on a pump myself, but was put off because of the idea it is attatched to you 24/7, and then if you knocked it by accident, not very good with things like that :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
May I ask why are they considering a pump? Is it a control problem, absorption,...?

Of course you may ask Paulina.

I've been having a few issues with injection site problems, more recently with my bum but have had issues with my stomach for a number of years, I did leave the stomach alone for some time and went back to it but I'm beginning to see poor insulin absorption again, so have just been mainly using my arms for my QA insulin and using my legs for my basal.

I think after injecting for 33 years it has taken it's toll on my injection sites, we (that is my DSN and I) figure that moving from injections to a pump will resolve these issues as I will only have to insert a cannula every 3 days as opposed to injecting 12 - 15 times over the same time period.

One of the reasons why I never really wanted to go on a pump was I didn't really mind the injections, especially since the modern days pens came available, I was always put off using a pump as I feared I'd catch the tubing and be disconnected without knowing, however I know the pumps are now fitted with alarms and of course you have the patch pumps like the Omnipod which is tubeless, which I might just go for given the choice.

As I said earlier, it's a big change and I am a wee bit apprehensive, but I will give the pump my best shot and will ask for advice from the good members of this forum if I come unstuck :)

Thanks again for your kind wishes everyone.

Reactions: 6 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Padders, I am amazingly clumsy and I haven't knocked or damaged my pump in more than 10 years of use : )

I'd also like to respond to what you said about it being attached to you 24/7. That's what put me off having a pump for ages, but then I read a testimonial from a young guy who explained he'd thought that and had imagined being connected to a pump all the time would somehow make him a 'prisoner' of his diabetes. He then got one and said that actually what it gave him was FREEDOM! He was so excited and so happy with it, that that's what persuaded me to try a pump.

And he was right! After a few days on the pump I felt I'd got my life back. It DOES give you freedom and, after a few days, you don't even notice it.

Just thought I'd put that out there as I identified with your fear, and wanted you to know that for most people the reality is very different and positive not negative.

Reactions: 3 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@noblehead I remember you replyng to one thread a while back stating that the pump wasn't something you would consider. You then replied to a post a couple of weeks ago which made me think you'd had a change of heart.

Your always such a huge help to so many people on this forum, I do hope that it works out and site issues subside.

Reactions: 7 people