Insulin question

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No no no guys .Your supposed to be reassuring me about starting Insulin !! All this talk of pain and blood really isn't helping .Now repeat after me .....it's fun to use insulin :p:D

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We could just do a little jive first, and sing a really fun song while we do the injection thing, and then do a little jive again afterwards.

I'm not pulling your leg Susie - the Insulin Thing is just something that needs to be done, so why not do it nicely? What we do most often, etc. Deserves a thought.

Hope I'm not raving - having difficulties today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I
We could just do a little jive first, and sing a really fun song while we do the
Injection thing, and then do a little jive again afterwards.

I'm not pulling your leg Susie - the Insulin Thing is just something that needs to be done, so why not do it nicely? What we do most often, etc. Deserves a thought.

I suspect if I jived i wouldn't need the insulin or anything else for that matter !:hilarious: Still I shall put my big girl panties on and may sing :cool:

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know how soon carb flue can hit because I'm feeling rather awful at the moment ...really really awful ...runs,headache ,ache all over and I'm trying to decide if it's the new meds ,just a virus ,or the lack of carbs ? It's the first time I've been out of bed all day .Good point is my BG is 10.9 :)

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know how soon carb flue can hit because I'm feeling rather awful at the moment ...really really awful ...runs,headache ,ache all over and I'm trying to decide if it's the new meds ,just a virus ,or the lack of carbs ? It's the first time I've been out of bed all day .Good point is my BG is 10.9 :)
1) check your ketones to make sure you're all right

2) I suspect jiving would make us all a lot perkier - I'm going to try it

3) you sing girl. :)

4) I don't know about carb flu, but others will.

Reactions: 2 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
1) check your ketones to make sure you're all right

2) I suspect jiving would make us all a lot perkier - I'm going to try it

3) you sing girl. :)

4) I don't know about carb flu, but others will.

No ketones just lots of protein .At least my appetites gone ...every cloud and all that :) Thanks Lucy x

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That doesn't sound great to me Susie. I know nothing about protein in urine but a quick google sure doesn't yield nice comforting results. Shouldn't you get some help? Or ask someone? I'm not in the UK ( Denmark) but NHS 111 ?

I don't like (being subject to) doctors either, but do you really have to do everything heroically on your own?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I bleed about once in 10 in injections and when I do I get a really bad black bruise that lasts about 2weeks and reduces my number of sites I can inject into. I'm very small and have little enough surface area for injecting and at minimum 5 injections a day, I really struggle with this.

Smidge
You can minimise/prevent bruising from a bleeding injection by putting firm pressure on the site with your finger(s) for 30-60 seconds after taking the needle out (trick taught to me by a phlebotomist).

elaine77

I've put on half a stone since I started insulin 3 weeks ago and I haven't changed my diet at all!! This is just not good! :-( :-(

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've put on half a stone since I started insulin 3 weeks ago and I haven't changed my diet at all!! This is just not good! :-( :-(
are you underweight and putting back on healthy weight? it can come as a shock ...down the track you can adjust your weight by carb intake, same as a T2. LCHF works for me.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That doesn't sound great to me Susie. I know nothing about protein in urine but a quick google sure doesn't yield nice comforting results. Shouldn't you get some help? Or ask someone? I'm not in the UK ( Denmark) but NHS 111 ?

I don't like (being subject to) doctors either, but do you really have to do everything heroically on your own?

I worry they'll keep me in Lucy and I can't stand being admitted :-( The noise all night and the ward full of people .I end up feeling claustrophobic and just wanting to come home for a sleep. I've stopped my new tablets until i can contact the surgery on Monday .I've had to use my heart spray three times today and that's not good .I'm pretty certain it's the new meds so hoping for an improvement overnight.

elaine77

I had lost a bit of weight but No I was still at a healthy weight with a BMI of 21 so I don't want to be putting any on :-(

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

See that right there is why i was so against the Insulin .Everyone has told me it will put weight on and that just isn't happening .Sounds like your really hating this condition Elaine and I don't blame you .Your so young to have to deal with all this s**t xx

Just think of how much better you'll feel in the long run though .With controlled numbers ! So many on here have made a really positive life change on insulin.:)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had lost a bit of weight but No I was still at a healthy weight with a BMI of 21 so I don't want to be putting any on :-(
hopefully it's just an adjustment period and will settle on it's own. you may need to make an app with your nurse and dietitian. you may need to adjust your carb and insulin.
when you're healthy..the body can lay down extra carbs as fat for winter
welcome to the real world where a twinky bar and an extra helping of spuds, can go straight to the hips, better to have a dollop of real butter on the first portion and a cheese board for desert :)

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm
"Different bodies have different abilities to handle carbohydrate, and the trick is to figure out what is best for your body. Most of the reduced-carb diets try to address this issue by offering ways to better individually customize the diet."

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I put quite a lot of weight on when I went onto insulin, but it was just because I'd lost so much when my BG was high and my body was being starved. I'd gone down to about 6 stone and I put a stone back on in the first few weeks, but it did stop and my weight has been very stable at about 7 and a half stone for the last five years. Hopefully your's will settle too.

Smidge

Reactions: 4 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I worry they'll keep me in Lucy and I can't stand being admitted :-( The noise all night and the ward full of people .I end up feeling claustrophobic and just wanting to come home for a sleep. I've stopped my new tablets until i can contact the surgery on Monday .I've had to use my heart spray three times today and that's not good .I'm pretty certain it's the new meds so hoping for an improvement overnight.

I totally understand Susie. Well, wishing you good luck - fingers crossed.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I already do that and my pen is as small as possible and 4mm micro fine. My body just doesn't like injections I guess
Sadly, your fingers will toughen up so testing will be felt less!!
I think early days your mind tells you that you are feeling things more, as it is just. Natural response.
Give it a while and as it becomes more 2nd nature then your brain will swithch off its responses to the testing and injections...

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally understand Susie. Well, wishing you good luck - fingers crossed.

Went in in the end Lucy as i felt so ill. Lucky i did as my heart was playing up .Got out today and now got lots of tests to do but for both the Endocrinologist and the Cardiologist but hopefully this will end with some resolution and correct diagnosis and meds to help :)

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Went in in the end Lucy as i felt so ill. Lucky i did as my heart was playing up .Got out today and now got lots of tests to do but for both the Endocrinologist and the Cardiologist but hopefully this will end with some resolution and correct diagnosis and meds to help :)

Good, well done. It is frightening, but that was the right thing to do. We need the help. With help you can probably make it a lot better. Take care Susie. LSW